No announcement yet.

The Apolyton Science Fiction Discussion Group: July Nominations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought that all Turtledove novels were WORSE Turtledove novel. A BETTER Turtledove novel is something I'd like to see.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

You know what I think? I think that Turtledove is so popular on this board we could have a "Turtledove" topic and get enough nominations and interest.

Frankly, I think the man was writing a bit before 1992, but nothing that anybody cares about other than maybe Guns of the South.

Comment

Guns of the South was much better than 'How Few Remain', St. Leo.

The main problem is that the new people in sci-fi aren't as good as the oldies. Though China Mieville may buck that trend .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The American Civil War == Yawn.

I nominate Call of Cthulhu by H.P. Lovecraft.

Comment

ummm

John

did you not see my nomination?

Jon Miller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

John,

Please use this blurb for my book

Slaughtermatic is a tale of a (hopefully) far future where crime is an art and being a victim makes a citizen the police's primary target. No need to worry about witnesses, either; they're doomed, too. These aren't crooked cops; they're Gordian knots of corruption and insanity.

All in all, it's a hoot. Many of the best lines are laugh-out-loud funny, or groan-and-roll-your-eyes bad. And both kinds are good.

That's the upside. Slaughtermatic is a mess. A chaotic, confusing tangle of virtual and fictional reality that, at times, is impossible to decipher. At times, it's easiest to let the prose wash over you and wait for understanding to catch up. Sometimes it doesn't, but by the last page the overall picture is clear enough, and the lasting impression is a positive one. Just don't insist on comprehending everything at once. Or every little word. Look for the big picture.
              "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                ummm

John

did you not see my nomination?

Jon Miller
                Nope. That's why I posted my list: to make sure I listed everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  ... well because if he has... I'll nominate a BETTER Turtledove novel .
                  I picked How Few Remain because (a) it's a stand alone and (b) it's a good intro to the Great War series.
                  Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Lonestar: I personally considered it the worst non-fantasy Turtledove I've read.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Lonestar: I personally considered it the worst non-fantasy Turtledove I've read.

Fine, howabout the first of the WorldWar Tetraology then?

JohnT Change my Nomination!

In the Balance
                      Harry Turtledove

This intelligent speculative novel depicts an alternate history in which, at the height of World War II, Earth is attacked by alien beings with weapons far more destructive than any possessed by the Allied or Axis forces. Turtledove ( The Guns of the South ) gives a surprisingly convincing flavor to the time-worn story of warring nations uniting to repel extraterrestrials; his human characters, both actual and invented, ring true as they struggle to trust each other after years of enmity, and although the alien threat has a B-movie feel, he makes an effort to portray the invaders sympathetically as well. The first in a projected series, the book ends where it began: in and around a battle. The smooth writing is marred only by slightly overdone dialogue for real-life figures like General Patton. The historical details, especially those concerning the weapons and methods available in the 1940s to defend Earth, are accurate and well rendered.
                      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

How about American Front? I hate the Worldwar series.

Comment

We're going to do How Few Remains for the simple reason that the WorldWar or American Front novels are not truly self-contained, unlike HFR.

Comment

Guns of the South is self contained .

How Few Remains is kinda part of the American Front series.

Comment

Btw, it's a travesty we haven't picked Dune yet.

Ain't that the truth.
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
                                newly published novelist = no scanned versions on the net = bad.
                                library. Not just a part of the Civ game. Exists in real world too.

Comment

Working...
                                X