Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Apolyton Science Fiction Discussion Group: July Nominations

Rules are simple:

1. You do not have to have read the book you are nominating.
    2. Please nominate only 1 book, as to allow others' selections to be listed.
    3. The books must be science fiction and must be properly "themed" (see rule 4).
    4. The person who nominated the winning book gets to pick the "theme" of the next month's nominations.

Slowwhand nominated June's book, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress but he decided that he didn't want to pick out a theme. So I will.

This months theme is: Newly Published Novelists.

To be considered a "newly published novelist" for the purposes of this thread, the book you nominate must be from an author who's first novel was released in 1993 or later. The author can have published short stories, even published collections before 1993, but their first novel must be 1993 or later.

I nominate Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space. Released in 2000, this is a helluva book.
    Last edited by JohnT; May 16, 2003, 17:23.

whoops, did not read the whole theme.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Uhm... uhm...

Is JK Rowling out of the question? She was first published in '97?
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Damn! Damn! I was going to run with a Harry Turtledove novel...
        Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

newly published novelist = no scanned versions on the net = bad.
          "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Hey! JohnT - you stole my nomination! I nominated that book a few months ago.

Now I have to think...... (this may take some time)....

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
              Uhm... uhm...

Is JK Rowling out of the question? She was first published in '97?
              Yes, and Harry Potter (if that is what you are thinking about) isn't science fiction.

Comment

Btw, the reason I picked this theme is so that we can read something other than "the classics." I fear that it might bring a dearth of nominations, especially as this will likely result in everybody having to do a little bit of research.

It might be that I'll drop the "you must have read it" requirement, though. Or raise the limit to "within 10 years." (1993) Suggestions?

Comment

A-ha!

I knew that some organization gave out awards for "Best First Novel" but couldn't remember. Somebody on the SDMB told me that both the Locus Awards and the John W. Campbell Award have such a category. The Locus award ballots are more complete, so to help people with books I direct you to their 2002 awards page (links to other years are on the right). Any science fiction novel from their 1998-onward list will fit the bill.
                  Last edited by JohnT; May 14, 2003, 10:05.

Comment

Lastly, the 2003 nominations (for 2002 books) are at this page. Go down the page and look at the drop-down nominations for the "Best First Novel of 2002."

Comment

I'd put the line for first novel being published earlier, maybe 1995.

China Mieville, "Perdido Street Station"
                      "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                      "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

both I have seen mentioned here (Perdido Street Station and revolational space) were good

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Bump

Comment

What is the 'line' for newly published?

And don't expect too many nominations .
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Btw, it's a travesty we haven't picked Dune yet .
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X