The Apolyton Science Fiction Discussion Group: July Nominations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

--"I'll take another shot at Vinge. A Deepness in the Sky."

Some of his short stories were published in the 1960s, if not earlier. Don't think he qualifies.

Wraith
    "That one has head-pigeons. The other is just annoying. Fix it."
    -- Miss Bitters ("Invader Zim")

Comment

He doesn't.

Btw, Wraith, I was thinking of Imran when I wrote the word "complaining." 'Cause that's what he does best.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith
        --"I'll take another shot at Vinge. A Deepness in the Sky."

Some of his short stories were published in the 1960s, if not earlier. Don't think he qualifies.

Wraith
        "That one has head-pigeons. The other is just annoying. Fix it."
        -- Miss Bitters ("Invader Zim")
        Short stories are one thing, what I'm looking for are new novelists.

For example, if it were 1992 and this was a general book discussion group with the same theme, it would be OK to nominate Tom Wolfe's Bonfire of the Vanities because, even though he was an established writer for 20 years, BotV was his first novel.

Regardless, Vinge wrote novels in the '80s so he is disqualified.

Comment

Btw, Ramo: I really, really want to do that book. Perhaps if Rev. Space wins, my theme will be "Books written by Vernor Vinge that begins with 'Deepness' and ends with 'Sky.' "

Comment

Starfish, Peter Watts (Tor)

Jon Miller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Hmmm... misread the theme. Figured it was newly published novels, not novelists.
              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
              -Bokonon

Comment

I've taken the liberty of posting a thread in the NationStates forum regarding nominating "Jennifer Government", the sci-fi book recently published by NationStates creator Max Barry.

That may be a good book for July as:

1) It satisfies the requirements of John's theme (never an easy task )
                2) The book appears to involve many issues that will generate some discussion
                3) The book has gotten fairly good reviews
                4) Many NationStates spammers players have probably already read it and it may draw more people into the ASFDG

Amazon link for Jennifer Government

I would nominate it but I haven't read it. (But don't take this as criticism of the "you have to read it to nominate it" rule, as I happen to agree with that.)
                "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

I nominate The Stone Canal by Ken McLeod. It's a novel about a working libertarian society It was rather enjoyable.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I posted a thread in the SDMB asking for suggestions... if you're having trouble coming up with some noms, you might want to give it a look.

Comment

But John, we have to read the books before nominating them, so what help would that thread be?
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        But John, we have to read the books before nominating them, so what help would that thread be?
                        Don't confuse us with your logic.

"We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Damnable Lawyers!

You know, you could've brought that up 38 bloody messages ago!!

Rule waived. Dammit, nominate some books people - and start reading new authors as well!

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                            I nominate The Stone Canal by Ken McLeod. It's a novel about a working libertarian society It was rather enjoyable.
                            I hated that book!

The thing which annoyed me most was that I read it on the bookshops recommendation that if you like Ian Banks you will like Ken McLeod.

Comment

I have been reading a lot of Fantasy stuff lately. Maybe we should have a fantasy book club too.

Comment

Rule waived. Dammit, nominate some books people - and start reading new authors as well!

Ah, well now... this topic makes 10 times more sense now .
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X