No announcement yet.

EU Gets Sanctions Go-Ahead Against U.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EU Gets Sanctions Go-Ahead Against U.S.

BRUSSELS/GENEVA (Reuters) - The European Commission (news - web sites) gave the United States an autumn deadline on Wednesday to change disputed tax break laws for major corporations or face the threat of up to $4.0 billion in sanctions.

The long-running row over an export scheme for U.S. majors such as Boeing and Microsoft is one of a series of EU-U.S. trade spats. It re-emerges days after the two pledged to work together to boost stalled global trade talks.

"The Commission will review the situation in the autumn," said European Trade Commissioner Pascal Lamy after the Geneva-based World Trade Organisation (WTO) gave the EU the final green light to impose the sanctions.

"If there is no sign that compliance is on the way at that time, it (the Commission) would then start the legislative procedure for the adoption of countermeasures by January 1, 2004," he added in a statement.

The United States has been discussing ways it can comply with the WTO rulings against the system of tax breaks, known as the Foreign Sales Corporation, and two bills have been introduced in Congress in recent months.

Lamy said the EU was encouraged by the determination of Congress and the U.S. administration to change the law and hoped that any solution would be fully in line with WTO rules. But he has also said in the past that EU patience is not infinite.

The row over FSC goes back to 1998 and the level of the punitive duties was set according to the annual loss in earnings claimed by EU companies. The sum of $4.04 billion set by the WTO was a record for retaliation allowed by the trade body.

The ruling means the EU can set duties up to 100 percent on hundreds of U.S. imports, including live animals, aluminum and copper goods, cereals like buckwheat and nuclear reactor parts.

TRADE TALKS CLOUD

The tax dispute is one of a number of spats involving the world's two biggest economic blocs and both Brussels and Washington are anxious not to stoke tensions, particularly as key WTO talks to free up global commerce have run into trouble.

Lamy and his U.S. counterpart Robert Zoellick pledged last week to try to give the global trade talks, the Doha Round, a push by focusing on where they agree rather than disputes.

Apart from the risk that sanctions could trigger a trade war at a time when the world economy is already struggling, many economists argue that their use could be counter-productive.

The economies of Europe and the United States are so closely intertwined that Europe would also suffer, they argue.

The two economic powerhouses are also at odds over other issues including U.S. duties on steel and a European block on genetically modified foods.

and obligatory pointed ears
    Attached Files

Good. Mabye the US will stop stifling Capitalism with it's subsidies.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Gosh, Lamy is even uglier than before
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Compared with EU Subsidies, they are low :P
        Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

yep they are

Comment

If we give tax breaks to exporters, it is money going from US taxpayers into EU consumer's hands. You shouldn't mind it. (Except for thinking we are dodos to do this. But its still a wealth transfer from US to EU.)

Comment

I am not sure the fragile EU economy likes it when US products are made artificially competitive, am I wrong ?
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I don't want to see any taxpayer money going to business. It goes against everything capitalism stands for. There are a hypocritical bunch of self-proclaimed capitalists that will say otherwise, but it's government involvement in business. No if's, and's, or but's about it. Government shouldn't dictate how business, and vice versa.

[soup Nazi voice]
                "No subsidies for you"
                [/soup Nazi voice]

IMO, subsidies should only be given in cases of the development of technologies that are in the interests of Americans. Anything else simply is in the interests of corporate profits. They should make their money on their own. Taxpayer money should help all Americans, not just the businessmen.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                  I am not sure the fragile EU economy likes it when US products are made artificially competitive, am I wrong ?
                  It is a wealth transfer from us to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                    I don't want to see any taxpayer money going to business. It goes against everything capitalism stands for. There are a hypocritical bunch of self-proclaimed capitalists that will say otherwise, but it's government involvement in business. No if's, and's, or but's about it. Government shouldn't dictate how business, and vice versa.

[soup Nazi voice]
                    "No subsidies for you"
                    [/soup Nazi voice]

IMO, subsidies should only be given in cases of the development of technologies that are in the interests of Americans. Anything else simply is in the interests of corporate profits. They should make their money on their own. Taxpayer money should help all Americans, not just the businessmen.
                    I agree. Get rid of the subsidies. Let's start with the *****ing farmers. I'm sick of hearing about how salt of the earth they are. EVerybody else is salt of the earth and doesn't need a handout check.

Comment

moiney given to european consumers?

i'd rather let the european companies take the money of european consumers so all benefit

or american ones, but only if they compete fair

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
                        moiney given to european consumers?

i'd rather let the european companies take the money of european consumers so all benefit

or american ones, but only if they compete fair
                        Go deal with that businessman who threatened you into changing your story on him.

It is a wealth transfer.

Comment

a change that was never made and of course he never dared to do anything

Comment

I bet you folded like a roadmap.

Comment

This truly is the start of Armageddon... GP and I are agreeing on things in multiple threads.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X