What separates a Mac from a PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
    They're all better than anything MS makes.
    If that's the case, how come no one buys OS X Server and Windows Server's marketshare continues to skyrocket?

And IE is actually better than Safari.

And Windows Media 9 is lightyears ahead of QuickTime. Any codec comparison will tell you that.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by panag
      hi ,

huh , have you read a newspaper in the last couple of months , ....

itunes , .... well visit the site and see
      I know all about iTunes, and their music-store thing which has been done before, but Apple users act like it's revoluntionary.

quicktime crappy , could be , but huh , then why is , ....
      Then why does it crash all the time?
      Why does the interface on the PC suck so much?
      Why does it take forever to load?
      Why do the codecs suck so much compared to WM9?

pfffff , ....

have a nice day
      is right
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• And Windows Media 9 is lightyears ahead of QuickTime. Any codec comparison will tell you that.

Windows Media Player is absolute crap on the Mac, while QuickTime is godly. Seems to be the exact opposite way on Windows. Seems that proprietary operating systems are at fault, not the respective media players.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

I don't just believe him, I believe every single real benchmark I've seen about the Macs.

The Macs are not powerful machines. Get over it. They're pathetically slow by today's standards.

The only argument Mac users have for using a Mac is Apple's software, which Drake is trying to get you to argue about instead because I'm sure even he realizes you're getting your ass handed to you right now.

Huh?
          That article was from January 2002.

This is boring to you because you're getting your ass kicked. You don't know what you're talking about, you dismiss all evidence that contradict's Apple's notoriously laughable marketing "benchmarks", and then when you start to learn the truth over your overpriced computer you plug your ears and walk away, saying it's boring.

hi ,

"This is boring to you because you're getting your ass kicked. You don't know what you're talking about, you dismiss all evidence that contradict's Apple's notoriously laughable marketing "benchmarks", and then when you start to learn the truth over your overpriced computer you plug your ears and walk away, saying it's boring. "

look in the mirror , ....

a mac user knows what he has , ... why would we try to talk with someone who does not even see to what is being presented , ...

overpriced , nope , .....

oh , btw , drake cant do zip to me , ....

as for the article , ..... well go with "herbert" the two of you woold make a great team , ...

and huh , my behind gets hadden out to no-one , ... are we clear on that , ...

bye
          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

• If you want another article to shoot down the Mac "speed demon" bull****, check out this one at Ace's Hardware. Ace's Hardware is probably the most well-respected hardware site on the internet. Wraith and I (which almost never agree on anything) both believe so.

It's also newer, from Dec 2002, and includes the dual G4+ 1.25GHzs

Some benchmarks for you:
            Adobe Premiere 6.5 Export to PAL DV
            Dual Athlon MP 2200+: 33s
            Apple PowerMac G4 Dual 1.25GHz: 65s

Adobe Premiere 6.5 Export Timeline to MPEG-4
            Dual Athlon MP 2200+: 39s
            Apple PowerMac G4 Dual 1.25GHz: 71s

Lightwave 7.5 Raytrace
            Dual P4 Xeon 2.4 GHz: 67s
            Apple PowerMac G4 Dual 1.25GHz: 102s

Comment

I know all about iTunes, and their music-store thing which has been done before, but Apple users act like it's revoluntionary.

Then why does it crash all the time?
              Why does the interface on the PC suck so much?
              Why does it take forever to load?
              Why do the codecs suck so much compared to WM9?

is right

input defines output , ....

ever wondered why all the other people dont have problems , ...

maybe the guy at the console is responsible for the crash , ...

it does not mean that because it loads to slow on your comp or that the codecs suck or the interface sucks on a pc that the product is bad , .... it could be that the person who handles it has done something to it , that his or her comp spec's aint great , .... that there is a software conflict , in short a thousand reasons , ....

ask herbert , he can write about stuff he has never touched , ....
              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                Windows Media Player is absolute crap on the Mac, while QuickTime is godly. Seems to be the exact opposite way on Windows. Seems that proprietary operating systems are at fault, not the respective media players.
                I'm not just talking about Windows Media Player, but Windows Media.

Windows Media kicks QuickTime's ass on any platform. It's the set of codecs.

On the PC, any program that uses the DirectShow interface interacts with Windows Media seamlessly. So if you don't like WMP -- don't use it! Use Winamp, DivX Player, NVDVD, etc.

And you just can't argue that Windows Media and Quicktime are comparable codec-wise.

Comment

If you want another article to shoot down the Mac "speed demon" bull****, check out this one at Ace's Hardware. Ace's Hardware is probably the most well-respected hardware site on the internet. Wraith and I (which almost never agree on anything) both believe so.

It's also newer, from Dec 2002, and includes the dual G4+ 1.25GHzs

Some benchmarks for you:
                  Adobe Premiere 6.5 Export to PAL DV
                  Dual Athlon MP 2200+: 33s
                  Apple PowerMac G4 Dual 1.25GHz: 65s

Adobe Premiere 6.5 Export Timeline to MPEG-4
                  Dual Athlon MP 2200+: 39s
                  Apple PowerMac G4 Dual 1.25GHz: 71s

Lightwave 7.5 Raytrace
                  Dual P4 Xeon 2.4 GHz: 67s
                  Apple PowerMac G4 Dual 1.25GHz: 102s
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Hmm is there somewhere more comparisons? Like there was really nice speed comparison in toms hw of all the pentium/amd processors from last (5????) years. Anyway many.

Question:
                    Can the best macs beat my ancient palonimo XP1800+ ddr266 in benchmarks?
                    Notice benchamarkS not just one, but the overall performance, that's what I'm interested in.

Panag, that picture looks like a PR bs picture. % instead of actual figures. I remember on my pure Voodoo1 6mb case it said it was faster than voodoo 2. I have no Idea if that picture is correct or not, probably is, but looks suspicious sorry dude.

Comment

• Panag just attached a PR image from Apple's notorious benchmarks, and it doesn't even compare the speed to the PCs, just shows "yes, when you increase the MHz, it gets faster! If you add another, it gets faster!".

And of course it shows % rather than real numbers.

Drake, I think you should ask Panag to stop. He's hurting Macs even more by reinforcing stereotypes of the users being brainwashed morons.

Comment

• Drake, I think you should ask Panag to stop. He's hurting Macs even more by reinforcing stereotypes of the users being brainwashed morons.

I never said he was helping our cause. I'm just glad he's giving you some competition in the brainwashed zealot category.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• hi ,

panag , your post on benchmarks , ...

final cut pro 3 isn't released for the x86 platform , ... so nope it's useless for comparison ...

adobe premiere 6.5 , ... is for ppc and for x86 , ... so it's useful for comparison ...
                          B♭3

Comment

• dorks. very few of the arguments presented here are reasons why apple is lagging behind windows. The vast majority (like over 90%) of consumers dont care about kernals, SWIBSDO and Ultra QQRX graphics cards.
                            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• Lawrence, you're probably one of the few here that is using sense in the debate.

People will use what they're comfortable with. That's all there is to it.
                              B♭3

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                                dorks. very few of the arguments presented here are reasons why apple is lagging behind windows. The vast majority (like over 90%) of consumers dont care about kernals, SWIBSDO and Ultra QQRX graphics cards.
                                Right, and the 90% of consumers that don't care about kernels, etc. are the ones who wonder why they have to pay twice as much for a software platform that has a fraction of the software base.

Comment

Working...
                                X