No announcement yet.

What separates a Mac from a PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btw, panag, you do know that the CHEAPEST PCs are ones that you make yourself, right?

Dells are actually overpriced, because you can get all the parts at a much cheaper cost. With Dell, you are paying for labor costs to put it together as well.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      Btw, panag, you do know that the CHEAPEST PCs are ones that you make yourself, right?

Dells are actually overpriced, because you can get all the parts at a much cheaper cost. With Dell, you are paying for labor costs to put it together as well.
      hi ,

the cheapest ones are the ones that are being sold by large firms after a short lease or so , .....

coNpaq is very good at it , ....

why bother to build something yourself , pffff , all the troubles you have to go true , ..... all the time you waste , .... no 36 months guarantee , ......

have a nice day
      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

panag is copy/pasting from the Mac site, and it's clear he's just trying to sell the computers (he's copying marketing bull****, for christ sake).

If the Mac folks have anyone with the intellectual capacity to debate, can he please step forward?
        hi ,

so what , is there a problem with that , .....

why would we waste our time on trying to explain something that from the start gets an attitude of "i dont want to listen" , .....

have a nice day
        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

• Originally posted by panag
          a better processor
          The Pentium 4 is way faster than the G4. I'm sorry, but this is just absolute fact. Even most Mac zealots concede that the G4 is obsolete, and pin their hopes on the new IBM PowerPC 970.

Take a look at the SPEC benchmarks, they're widely watched and widely respected.

Bevor die c't-Webseite ihr neues Gesicht bekommen kann, müssen ein paar alte Zöpfe dran glauben. Für alle, die unsere Treiber-Verzeichnis vermissen, haben wir ein paar Tipps.

These results were also taking not using Intel's highly optimized C++ compiler, both use GCC for the sake of fairness. They say Intel's compiler is about 20% faster.

With a SPECint_base value of 306 Apple's 1 GHz machine under Mac OS X ran almost head to head with the equally clocked Pentium III, combined with Linux and GCC, with a SPECint_base value of 309.

With SPECfp2000 values of between 147 and 187 the Apple device lagged far behind its equally briskly clocked competitors in terms of floating-point operations values. Thus the Pentium III, for instance, in conjunction with Intel's Linux compilers achieved a SPECfp value of 297. What is more, a current Pentium 4 will achieve a value that exceeds the latter by a good deal more than twice that amount.

The G4 can't even compete with the Pentium III.
          FYI, a 3GHz P4 hits over 1000 in SPECfp2000 now. The 1GHz G4 peaks at 187.

The Apple marketing team is quite brilliant and managed to convince most Mac users that they're using some extremely efficient, supercomputer-esque type chip, which apparently some of you still believe.

Of course, people will be quick to point to select Photoshop benchmarks to "prove" the G4 is almost as fast. After all, Photoshop is a native Mac app and ported to x86, and they'll carefully select operations and filters with AltiVec optimizations but no SSE2 optimizations. Laughable from a computer scientists' perspective, amazing by a Mac user's perspective.

Then don't even get me started on other components. Pentium 4 has 800MHz FSB (6.4GB/s), the G4 has a 133MHz system bus with 1.06GB/s bandwidth. Not to mention the lower latencies on the PC, because the RAM used is DDR400 rather than DDR266...
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• This just proves my point. The best people in America are the 5% that use Macs. We will rule the other 95% who aren't worthy of using a Mac. It's an exclusive club I'm glad to be a part of.
            The Mormon church says the same thing

in some places its 5 % , in others 30 % , .....
            But in all, WINDOWS is the major majority

intresting how civ on a windows ( huge specs ) takes longer then on the mac , ... same map , same set up , smae scen , .... yet the mac beats it with more then half the time
            I also find it interesting how it takes about 10 seconds to load that Apple copy of Word on a mac, but it takes less than half the time to open an identical program on the PC

I also find it interesting how when playing a graphically intensive game, Macs suffer a HUGE performance loss compared to PCs

I also find it interesting how almost EVERYTHING is developed for PC first and then ported to mac (if they want to. Some things just never are )

I also find it interesting how the majority of computers in use are Windows.

I also find it interesting how the majority of computers sold are Windows.

I also find it interesting how Macs are quite pricey compared to PCs.

I also find it interesting how Apple forbid others from building macs and therefore drove prices up.

I also find it interesting how microsoft saved apple

I suppose there are a lot of interesting facts in this word

Have a nice WINDOWS Day, Panag
            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

• panag is copy/pasting from the Mac site, and it's clear he's just trying to sell the computers

A Mac employee is the perfect foil for everyone's favorite MS lackey.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• The Mormon church says the same thing

You do know that they're the only ones getting into heaven, right?
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

The Pentium 4 is way faster than the G4. I'm sorry, but this is just absolute fact. Even most Mac zealots concede that the G4 is obsolete, and pin their hopes on the new IBM PowerPC 970.

Take a look at the SPEC benchmarks, they're widely watched and widely respected.

Bevor die c't-Webseite ihr neues Gesicht bekommen kann, müssen ein paar alte Zöpfe dran glauben. Für alle, die unsere Treiber-Verzeichnis vermissen, haben wir ein paar Tipps.

These results were also taking not using Intel's highly optimized C++ compiler, both use GCC for the sake of fairness. They say Intel's compiler is about 20% faster.

With a SPECint_base value of 306 Apple's 1 GHz machine under Mac OS X ran almost head to head with the equally clocked Pentium III, combined with Linux and GCC, with a SPECint_base value of 309.

With SPECfp2000 values of between 147 and 187 the Apple device lagged far behind its equally briskly clocked competitors in terms of floating-point operations values. Thus the Pentium III, for instance, in conjunction with Intel's Linux compilers achieved a SPECfp value of 297. What is more, a current Pentium 4 will achieve a value that exceeds the latter by a good deal more than twice that amount.

The G4 can't even compete with the Pentium III.
                  FYI, a 3GHz P4 hits over 1000 in SPECfp2000 now. The 1GHz G4 peaks at 187.

The Apple marketing team is quite brilliant and managed to convince most Mac users that they're using some extremely efficient, supercomputer-esque type chip, which apparently some of you still believe.

Of course, people will be quick to point to select Photoshop benchmarks to "prove" the G4 is almost as fast. After all, Photoshop is a native Mac app and ported to x86, and they'll carefully select operations and filters with AltiVec optimizations but no SSE2 optimizations. Laughable from a computer scientists' perspective, amazing by a Mac user's perspective.

Then don't even get me started on other components. Pentium 4 has 800MHz FSB (6.4GB/s), the G4 has a 133MHz system bus with 1.06GB/s bandwidth. Not to mention the lower latencies on the PC, because the RAM used is DDR400 rather than DDR266...
                  hi ,

one , the link takes no account in the new g4's , it does not count them in dual config , and last but not least , do you really believe that a processor is all that counts , .....

have a nice day

this is getting boring , ....

Comment

one , the link takes no account in the new g4's , it does not count them in dual config , and last but not least , do you really believe that a processor is all that counts , .....

have a nice day
                    One: It also doesn't take into account the new P4s, which are actually faster than the predecessors than the new G4+s are compared to the original G4. Consider yourself even luckier on this count.
                    Two: It also doesn't count the P4s in dual configus, what's your point?
                    Three: Of course processor speed isn't all that counts. Unfortunately for you, this hurts your case even more.

PCs have Serial-ATA rather than just UltraATA.
                    PCs have PCI-X rather than just PCI.
                    PCs have AGP8x rather than AGP4x.
                    PCs have far faster memory subsystems.
                    etc.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Macs have Apple software.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

One: It also doesn't take into account the new P4s, which are actually faster than the predecessors than the new G4+s are compared to the original G4. Consider yourself even luckier on this count.
                        Two: It also doesn't count the P4s in dual configus, what's your point?
                        Three: Of course processor speed isn't all that counts. Unfortunately for you, this hurts your case even more.

PCs have Serial-ATA rather than just UltraATA.
                        PCs have PCI-X rather than just PCI.
                        PCs have AGP8x rather than AGP4x.
                        PCs have far faster memory subsystems.
                        etc.

hi ,

if you believe "herbert" , .....

good , so if herbert tells you , ....

pfffff, if you believe that guy , ....

and since when can someone look in the future , ....

not to mention , ....

this is boring , ... sjee , .....

have a nice day

another apple user walks away from boredom

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                          Macs have Apple software.
                          Like OS X, which is a repackaged version of the freely-available Mach BSD kernel?
                          Like Safari, which is a repackaged version of the freely-available Konqueror/KHTML engine?
                          Like iTunes, which was purchased and extended from a third party and is still nothing more than a run-of-the-mill media player that's too bloaty for its own good, including using freely-available visualization software like Geiss and G-Force.
                          Like QuickTime, which we've already addressed about its crappiness?

Comment

hi ,

if you believe "herbert" , .....

good , so if herbert tells you , ....

pfffff, if you believe that guy , ....
                            I don't just believe him, I believe every single real benchmark I've seen about the Macs.

The Macs are not powerful machines. Get over it. They're pathetically slow by today's standards.

The only argument Mac users have for using a Mac is Apple's software, which Drake is trying to get you to argue about instead because I'm sure even he realizes you're getting your ass handed to you right now.

and since when can someone look in the future , ....
                            Huh?
                            That article was from January 2002.

not to mention , ....

this is boring , ... sjee , .....

have a nice day

another apple user walks away from boredom
                            This is boring to you because you're getting your ass kicked. You don't know what you're talking about, you dismiss all evidence that contradict's Apple's notoriously laughable marketing "benchmarks", and then when you start to learn the truth over your overpriced computer you plug your ears and walk away, saying it's boring.

Comment

• Like OS X, which is a repackaged version of the freely-available Mach BSD kernel?
                              Like Safari, which is a repackaged version of the freely-available Konqueror/KHTML engine?
                              Like iTunes, which was purchased and extended from a third party and is still nothing more than a run-of-the-mill media player that's too bloaty for its own good, including using freely-available visualization software like Geiss and G-Force.

They're all better than anything MS makes.

The only argument Mac users have for using a Mac is Apple's software, which Drake is trying to get you to argue about instead because I'm sure even he realizes you're getting your ass handed to you right now.

panag's not getting his ass handed to him; he actually has a good strategy. He just talks and talks and hopes the other person gets sick of it and leaves. Surely you can't criticize the man for using your own tactics?
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Like OS X, which is a repackaged version of the freely-available Mach BSD kernel?
                                hi ,

huh , have you read a newspaper in the last couple of months , ....

itunes , .... well visit the site and see

quicktime crappy , could be , but huh , then why is , ....

pfffff , ....

have a nice day

Comment

Working...
                                X