No announcement yet.

What separates a Mac from a PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• actually, most scientific areas use linux, rather than apple. why? x86 systems are cheaper, and linux is free.

many hospitals, industries, and governmental agencies are also considering migrating from windows to linux.

i don't know where macs are used as a majority in any of those areas...

have a nice day
    B♭3

Comment

• You guys are forgetting that Macs dominate the TV computer market. No, I don't mean the TV industry; I mean that Macs are everywhere on TV. If you don't believe me, try finding a show that doesn't use Macs as the computer prop.

Just more proof that Macs are the coolest.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by panag

hi ,

like you cant get free ware for a mac , ....

have a nice day
        Ah ha, but thats where the issue of SOFTWARE AVALIBILITY AND COMPATIBLITY comes in

Just more proof that Macs are the coolest.
        They may be cool, but just like in high school, "cool" isn't always better

When it comes to computers, I'll take the geeks over the "Cool Clique" anyday
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
          Kindly help me find them on that site, because I'm seeing lots of "problems" where people use the registry to change values, remove traces of programs, etc.

But I don't see anything dealing with problems with the registry itself.
          Don't you understand this is part of the problem? If the only way to do certain things is to hack the registry, this points to a design problem.

Originally posted by Asher

By .NET, I'm referring to the .NET CLR, managed code, etc.

And there certainly IS a .NET, Explorer.exe in Longhorn is written in .NET (Managed Code), and Visual Studio .NET 2003 just shipped last week.
          Still, it doesn't matter. The entire Windows design is insecure. Even the NT branch is ridden with holes. Even if it's a bit harder to replace a core .DLL with your own trojan, it is still a fundamental design flaw.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• They may be cool, but just like in high school, "cool" isn't always better

This is what it basically comes down to. PC's are for subservient geeks, while Macs are for the cool and charismatic folks who'll be giving you geeks orders for the rest of your lives. Life ain't that different from high school, Tass; your nerd ass still belongs to me.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              But I haven't seen pages devoted to killing Steve Jobs

There was definete hatred for Jobs in the early 80s. Apple wasn't as big as Microsoft is now, but you couldn't say he was liked.
              Jobs is crap, Woz is god. Nuff said.
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

• Jobs is crap, Woz is god. Nuff said.

I agree with Urban Ranger? Oh god...
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• god, all you people arguing pro-mac or pro-win make me sick.

use what you want, and quit it with all this "my side is better" bs.

apple is good for some thing.
                  windows for others.
                  linux for still others.

apple is pricier, but better for video, sound, and chic design. it's piss poor for upgradability; it's also fairly easy to use for beginners. stability is decent.
                  windows is cheaper, but better for general purpose use and for gaming. options for upgrades are abundant and cheap as well. it's also gotten fairly easy to use for beginners. stability in the more recent versions is also quite decent.
                  linux is cheapest yet, best for development and power users. stability is usually solid, except if you're using experimental or beta programs. it also isn't as hardware dependent as the other two-- you can run the more recent linuxes on computers older than five years, while you can't make the same claim with the mac or windows oses.
                  B♭3

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                    I don't understand how people can use Macs knowing that their system bus is only 133MHz! It would drive me crazy, I would cry if I had one and beg Steve Jobs for an 800MHz system bus like Intel's.
                    Hm, that seems like the FSB, since by system bus it sounds more like PCI.

Anyway, that's a non-comparison because the P4 takes multiple clock cycles to complete an instruction. In fact, the P4 is well known for it's low IPC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                      They may be cool, but just like in high school, "cool" isn't always better

This is what it basically comes down to. PC's are for subservient geeks, while Macs are for the cool and charismatic folks who'll be giving you geeks orders for the rest of your lives. Life ain't that different from high school, Tass; your nerd ass still belongs to me.
                      Macs = 5 Percent
                      PCs = 95 percent

Were winning BIG TIME

"95 out of 100 people prefer PERSONAL COMPUTER over MACINTOSH"

Comment

• Originally posted by Q Cubed
                        windows for others.
                        linux for still others.
                        Linux or other *nix.

That's true, but that takes all the fun (?) out of this PC vs Mac religious war.

Comment

• Originally posted by Q Cubed
                          god, all you people arguing pro-mac or pro-win make me sick.

use what you want, and quit it with all this "my side is better" bs.

windows for others.
                          linux for still others.

apple is pricier, but better for video, sound, and chic design. it's piss poor for upgradability; it's also fairly easy to use for beginners. stability is decent.
                          windows is cheaper, but better for general purpose use and for gaming. options for upgrades are abundant and cheap as well. it's also gotten fairly easy to use for beginners. stability in the more recent versions is also quite decent.
                          linux is cheapest yet, best for development and power users. stability is usually solid, except if you're using experimental or beta programs. it also isn't as hardware dependent as the other two-- you can run the more recent linuxes on computers older than five years, while you can't make the same claim with the mac or windows oses.
                          HEATHEN!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                            Don't you understand this is part of the problem? If the only way to do certain things is to hack the registry, this points to a design problem.
                            This logic is soooooo flawed.

The Registry is a central database of settings, so hence that's what you tweak to change those settings. In which whimsical land does this equate a design problem?

Still, it doesn't matter. The entire Windows design is insecure. Even the NT branch is ridden with holes. Even if it's a bit harder to replace a core .DLL with your own trojan, it is still a fundamental design flaw.
                            You've completely changed what you're talking about to avoid getting your ass handed to you.

.NET still exists, in fact Visual Studio .NET 2003 was released the other week and .NET Framework 1.1 was also recently released. Further, .NET eliminates .DLL hell and has a very robust versioning system as well. You also clearly do not understand the security "sandbox" in .NET, nor even the new security settings and defaults in Windows Server 2003. To say the Windows design is "insecure" is extremely laughable if you're talking about Windows Server 2003 and above, which are intended for use with .NET Framework 1.1. It's even more secure by design than Linux (due to the .NET sandbox), the only problems are implementation bugs that are sure to pop up in the 40M lines of code...

So
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                              Hm, that seems like the FSB, since by system bus it sounds more like PCI.

Anyway, that's a non-comparison because the P4 takes multiple clock cycles to complete an instruction. In fact, the P4 is well known for it's low IPC.

How long has it been since you've taken an architecture course?

The P4's IPC operates independently of the FSB (which is synonymous with system bus today, BTW), and I'm completely unsure how you think it could be directly related.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Most of the anti-mac commentary here seems to be complaining about the Classic Mac OS. If you want to compare this OS to it's competitors Windows 95, 98 and ME, I'd take the Mac OS any day. Enough of this misguided rubbish about extension conflicts and the taskbar.

Actually Asher, it is perhaps an accident that you aren't using a version of NextStep since in the late 80s the big PC manufacturers tried to buy it, in order to replace DOS, which they hated. I wish they had - almost everyone would be using what would amount to a version of OS X.

The reason most people run windows is the same reason they use QWERTY keyboards: namely ubiquity. If it wasn't for this no one would use MS crappy bug-ridden spy infested bloatware. That's why MS is so desperate to block off alternatives - because they know if one ever takes off that their rubbishy software can't compete. Anyone who can't admit this is severely deluded as to the public's love of Microsoft.
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X