Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Liberal Leadership: Whose Chances Do You Like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liberal Leadership: Whose Chances Do You Like?

A.K.A. 'Who will be our next dictator?'

Did anyone else watch the three-way debate between Martin, Manley, & Copps on CPAC today (I only saw part of it)? It was on right after the Havana May Day celebrations (which I also found quite interesting).

I'm pretty sure no one here actually likes the Grits, so I'll say just vote for whichever you hate least, or, failing that, just who you think will win.

Personally, I think Manley's the least bothersome. Copps is just plain annoying. Martin is... average. He speaks French well, from my ignorant Western standpoint.

Or do you think some wild, young upstart will come from nowhere to take the prize?

Yeah, right.
    John Manley
    6.67%
    Paul Martin
    33.33%
    Sheila Copps
    13.33%
    Wild Card Dark Horse (Dhaliwal???)
    0.00%
    Jean Banane
    46.67%
    "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
    "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
    "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Martin is the best choice and will be the next PM.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

You're joking, right?

The Liberal spin-doctors have been preparing us for the Martin succession for years. The message has been "Out with the old, in with the new. Don't blame the Liberals for anything you don't like - blame Chrétien.", and they are slowly increasing the volume.

Comment

I read a good article just awhile back, comparing the current Liberal race with the Monty Python sketch attempting to clear the English Channel.

Manley, they say is the man trying to leap across the channel. He may have jumped 10 metres 'unofficially', and he hopes to catch a strong wind that will carry him across the Channel.

Thing is, you believe in Manley until he tries to jump the chasm that is Paul Martin. When he jumps, no matter how far he leaps, he will still fall so short it is not even funny.

Paul Martin's the heir apparent.

My question is not who is the leader, but how much of the Liberal party they will command? Will we see any dissidents jump the fence to one of the other parties after the leadership convention?
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

My question is not who is the leader, but how much of the Liberal party they will command? Will we see any dissidents jump the fence to one of the other parties after the leadership convention?
          That's very interesting... Do you think it's a real possibility?

It'd be mighty nice to see the Libs split; maybe the new party could actually provide us with a viable soft-left party?

I'd be surprised, though.
          "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
          "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine

Comment

"Hope springs eternal."
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Canada has a really wierd system. How come you guys vote for parties and not candidates?
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Canada has a really wierd system. How come you guys vote for parties and not candidates?
                So that we don't get caught up in a Cult Of Personality, or vote for someone who has no real (or worse, a detrimental) agenda, simply because they're charming smooth-talkers.

We vote for the party with the principles and policies we agree with most. The leader should take a backseat to party policy, in my opinion, though it usually doesn't work out that way.

Also, you could look at it from the angle that you vote for the MP who will serve your constituency best, and focus primarily on your local needs, rather than federal ones.

But I like the first version better. Vote for the ideas, not the personality.

Comment

Sheila Copps!? I wake up in a cold sweat just thinking of the possibility of that wingnut running the country no matter how remote the odds are.

Comment

On the bright side we would have a real "Canadian" culture.

Comment

I think ALL parties of Canada aren't good, the best shot to a "good one" would be the PC meets the Allinace! So in other words, none!
                      Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

It's rather sad that the only other party with a legitmate shot of winning an election (the PC) is so far down after the Mulroney debacles. It really makes it a one horse race. I agree that it would be nice for a new party to split out of the current Libs, but I won't hold my breath.
                        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

with a legitmate shot of winning an election (the PC)
                          You were going good, and then you had to louse it all up.

We do have an official opposition. The PC has lots of voters, but in all the wrong places.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                            Cinch basically covered it, but we do actually vote for candidates. Our system is closer to your congressional elections, whereby you vote for the candidate that represents your area, and the party with the most seats forms the government. In the US, the party with the most seats has the senate majority leader and speaker of the house (IIRC). You just have another level with your president, whereas our ultimate head (ok, not the queen) is the leader of the party with the most seats in parliament.

Here, in theory, you would vote for the person who would best represent your riding's interests, and that still happens to a degree. It's just that you don't tend to get as much independent voting up here, so the party matters more than it really should.
                            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by obiwan18
                              (...)We do have an official opposition. The PC has lots of voters, but in all the wrong places.
                              Yep, none in the east, and without kissing the east's as$, you got a 1% chance of winning it!
                              Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

Working...
                              X