Congress considers highest honor for Jackie Robinson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congress considers highest honor for Jackie Robinson

WASHINGTON (AP) -- More than half a century after Jackie Robinson broke major league baseball's color barrier, Congress wants to honor him with its highest award.

With bipartisan support, Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., introduced a bill on Wednesday to give the late Brooklyn Dodger a Congressional Gold Medal for his contributions to civil rights and sports. The bill proposes designating a national day to recognize Robinson's accomplishments.

Reps. Richard Neal, D-Mass., and Peter King, R-N.Y., introduced similar legislation in the House.

Robinson, a four-sport star at UCLA, ended decades of segregation in the major leagues when he broke in April 15, 1947. He retired after 10 years, six pennants and one World Series with the Dodgers and was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1962. He died in 1972.

"Throughout his years with the Dodgers, he faced constant abuse and pressure," said Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass. "But the more he was taunted and threatened and harassed, the more he let his superb performance on the field speak for itself."

Robinson played all but three games his first season "despite threats on his life, the weight of a people on his shoulders and racist taunts," said his daughter, Sharon.

On the 50th anniversary of his major league debut, the league retired his No. 42.

Since George Washington received the first Congressional Gold Medal in 1776, Congress has bestowed the honor on some 300 people, including Mother Teresa, Pope John Paul II, Rosa Parks and President and Nancy Reagan.

To be honest i dont think he deserves this award.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

i don't see the point...why isn't Kerry proposing some REAL legislation?
    "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

He's running for the Democratic leadership.

What better way then to get your name stamped with Jackie Robinson?
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Re: Congress considers highest honor for Jackie Robinson

Originally posted by flash9286
        To be honest i dont think he deserves this award.
        Yes, to play under death threats at a time when African Americans were routinely lynched, and to desegregate baseball, which later lead to the Civil Rights Act and non-discrimnation as we know it today is really no big deal. I'm sure whatever it was that Nancy Reagan did was so much more impressive.

Comment

the guy is dead...it's all about publicity and kissing ass before an election.

Seriously, where's the real legislation?
          "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
          You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

I'm shocked shocked to find politics going on in our nations capital!

(Still, it's a well deserved honor.)

Comment

Re: Re: Congress considers highest honor for Jackie Robinson

Originally posted by Zkribbler
              I'm sure whatever it was that Nancy Reagan did was so much more impressive.
              Nancy Reagan taught me to just say no. . .

Wooohooo PARTY!
              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Yes, to play under death threats at a time when African Americans were routinely lynched, and to desegregate baseball, which later lead to the Civil Rights Act and non-discrimnation as we know it today is really no big deal. I'm sure whatever it was that Nancy Reagan did was so much more impressive.

The only reason he desegreated baseball is becuase he was the best baseball player around. He wasnt lynched but thousands were where is there medal.
                Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

What a damn waste of time. The US government is ****ed.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

hes a dodger, so no he doesnt deserve anything.
                    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Congress considers highest honor for Jackie Robinson

Originally posted by Felch X

Nancy Reagan taught me to just say no. . .

Wooohooo PARTY!
                      Felch, aint it the truth?

"do you not want to get high"?
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Outlaw Baseball now!
                        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                        X