"Deep-Seated" vs "Deep-Seeded"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Deep-Seated" vs "Deep-Seeded"

I was trying to write an email and was going to use the phrase "deep-seated", and then I thought to myself, "Don't I mean 'deep-seeded'?"

Anybody use these terms? Some examples:

Why is there this deep-seated animosity between India and Pakistan?
    And the loneliness was really just a deep-seeded fear that he was unworthy of being loved.....even by himself.
    Which one is correct and which one makes you look stupid for saying it? Anybody know?
    Deep-seated
    78.95%
    Deep-seeded
    10.53%
    Deep-fried-banana
    10.53%
    "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Deep seated seems more logical to the non-native speaker I am. "Deep rooted" would be an coherent saying, but "deep seeded" just sounds silly IMHO.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Breaking News

Recent results from my Google research:

Searched the web for deep-seated. Results 1 - 10 of about 110,000. Search took 0.20 seconds.

Searched the web for deep-seeded. Results 1 - 10 of about 8,780. Search took 0.27 seconds
      "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

I'm 95% sure the expression is "deep-seated" ... although I was 100% before I read this thread and you sowed seeds of doubt in my mind. (pun intended )

How about this one: Should it be "Card Shark" or "Card Sharp"???
        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Sharp I think, though shark is widely used and I personally prefer that imagery.

Comment

I think seated is the more common..just go with the flow man, go with the flow!
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

How about this one: Should it be "Card Shark" or "Card Sharp"???

I use both, but for different meanings.

Card Shark for someone who will cheat you by the hustle.
              Card Sharp for someone who will cheat you by sleight of hand.

But thats just my image of what the words conjure up.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Both are correct, as different idioms for the same idea.

So don't worry about which one you use, your reader will get the right idea.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Deep seated is correct. Deep seeded is slang with the same meaning.
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

deep-seated

No deep-seeded. (I had never heard of this before, although it does make alittle more sense, IMO)
                    "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

This domain is for sale! Fast and easy shopping. Trusted and secure since 2005.

Just a little too slow.

Looks like I'm wrong.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Thanks everybody for your help!

Comment

Working...
                        X