The Hamas answer to Abu Mazen's New Goverment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spiffor
    The problem is, this destruction must happen quasi-simulatneously with the application of the peace deal. There is a spiral of hate and violence between the Israelis and the Palestinians that can only stop if both parties take steps simultaneously.
    The problem isn't only the Hamas. The problem is that they get a huge support in the Palestinian population for various reasons, the first one being the Israeli behaviour.

However, it would be stupid to ask the Israelis to stop their behaviour outright (by opening the doors of their country to the Pals for example), because it will ease the work of so many terrorists, even though their support wil fall progressively.

The only possible solution is that Israel and the Palestinian authority commonly destroy the Hamas while removing incentives to the population to recreate a similar group.

This can be done only if a peace plan is ready, and if a peace plan has been negociated beforehand.
    I think history is showing that a simultaneous approach is not quite realistic because each terrorist attack that occurs not just destroys life but destroys a little bit of the peace process too. As we saw from the Oslo Plan, you end up with a "two steps forward, two step back" situation, ie, you make some progress in negotiations, then a single attack wipes out that progresss. You end up going nowhere.

The only solution IMO, is to get rid of the terrorists organizations first before you start the negotiation. That way there wouldn't be any violence that would get in the way of the peace negotiations.

But there is a deeper problem with these terrorists organizations. They are being funded and supported by Syria and Iran. If they did not receive any aid from these governments, the terrorists would never have to funds needed to carry these attacks. We must cut the ties between the terrorists and their state sponsors if we want any hope of eliminating terrorism. I am not suggesting we invade Syria or Iran. We should begin by applying real diplomatic, and economic pressure on these two regimes to immediately cease and desist their covert support to terrorism.
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

The first support to terrorist organizations comes from people. Countries do help very significantly, but it is delusional to think these terrorist organizations won't be able to operate anymore if the countries' funding is cut. Weakened, yes. But not disabled at all.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
      X