Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever Participate In A Protest, That Gained Anything ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

immediately be a fatal threadjack (I think that's Sava's goal )
    Technically, I started the jack.

I'll start another thread, "Troll me now!"

BTW Sava. Thanks for the compliment.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
      You were a potential hetrosexual, and conversely, I was a potential homosexual.

Neither of those came to pass either.
      I think "closet" is the best description.

obiwan:
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

When sign makers go on strike, is anything written on their signs? - George Carlin
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

A couple of years ago, there were protests against the planned sinking of the old oil platform "Brent Spar" of Shell, with lots of heavy oil, heavy metals and chemicals on board. People were in rage and even boycotted Shell gas stations, which was, like every consumer level boycott, incredibly stupid, since mostly the leaseholders of the stations were hit and not Shell itself. After a few weeks of these protests Shell apologized and announced, that the platform will be scrapped instead of sunk. I didn't participate very actively, but it is an example of a successful protest.

Comment

I have protested often, some of these ended with partial victories, some failed.
            Against Brazilian dictatorship in the 70's and 80's (I was arrested a few times... )
            Against the prohibition to vote for president, in the same decade. Both with partial victories, and in the long term, we won.
            Against the prison of leaders of MST (movement of the people without land): partial victory
            Against the Kosovo war: failed
            Against the Iraqi war: failed (of course... )

I'm 49 years old now. Not bad at all...
            RIAA sucks
            The Optimistas
            I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Won some local university labor stuff and a janitor contract fight in Stamford. Railed futilely against the system sooooooooooooo many times
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

sorry, wrong thread.
                Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

obiwan: It was the national March for Life they hold in DC every year, which is the largest pro-life demonstration that they hold where they get pro-lifers from all over the country to go to DC
                  "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

obiwan: It was the national March for Life they hold in DC every year, which is the largest pro-life demonstration that they hold where they get pro-lifers from all over the country to go to DC.
                    Notwithstanding the effectiveness, did you enjoy yourself? I'd love to get a chance to go. I might be going to the Canadian version in Ottawa within the next two weeks.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Miscellaneous methods of Civil Disobedience:

Standing in front of City Hall and chanting the word 'pudding' until one's demands are met.

Phoning members of the 'establishment' and singing 'Bess, You Is My Woman Now' into the phone.

Dressing as a policeman and then skipping.

Pretending to be an artichoke but punching people as they pass.

Woody Allen, Without Feathers
                      I used to go to a lot of protests back in the 70's, generally to get laid. Many bodacious babes talked me into marching for many excellent causes.

The US did pull out of Viet-nam & Nixon was forced to resign - so those two must have worked !

At one point, like obiwan18, I was very involved with the Coalition for Reproductive Choice - I even got a free t-shirt ! That one must have worked too !
                      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Re: Ever Participate In A Protest, That Gained Anything ?

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                        . . . Vietnam protests . . . didn't accomplish much
                        Not true, SlowwHand. Those protests changed the minds of the majority of Americans, which in turn changed the minds and/or makeup of Congress, which in turned stopped to war.

So...:

Vietnam (won [the protest, not the war])
                        Too few creative writing courses offered at UCLA (won)
                        Failure to grant a fantastic professor tenure (won)

And recently, some labor disputes (won)

I don't know whether this falls under your definition of "protest," but recently LA courts voted to save money by closing for eight days so that they didn't have to pay their workers. I...ahem..."gained entry" into the court's warehouses & photographed over $2 million in computer equipment being stored. And there was another $1.2 million in computers on the way. That was enough to get the powers in Sacramento involved, which threatened to take over adminstration of LA courts if we closed down. Result: No court closures.

Comment

Working...
                        X