The Vacation thread- talk about places you've been or want to go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Vacation thread- talk about places you've been or want to go

Not enough people talk about their vacations here.

I have one coming up in may. I'm still not set exactly where I'm going to go. I'm just going to roam around the rocky mountains. I'm terrible at planning trips. I try to do things on the fly and be spontaneous. I'll probably be going by myself, as I have no wife or serious girlfriend. I don't mind doing that. It's nice to get away from everyone. I find I can actually open up more when I'm in a city other than my own. I care less about how people think of me.

I may go to Arizona with my vacation I take next fall, I haven't decided yet. And I still want to go to Hawaii. Expensive, but I have the money. Not like I'm spending it on anyone. My friend from work is Hawaiin, and he talks about it all the time. and I'd like to see the Missouri and the Arizona memorial. And I'd like to visit the main island to see its natural beauty.

And I still want to get back to the carribean. I've been there once in the navy. But only to one island. There is still so much more to see there. If I really had the money, I'd get my own boat and sail the carribean. That's the best way to do it.

I still entertain thoughts of going to Australia, that will be expensive indeed. And would take lots of planning, not something I'm good at.

Anyways talk about places you have been or want to go on vacation. It might give me or other people some ideas. Also any advice you have on the places I mentioned above, or other people mention feel free to post that.

Western Canada. walk around the wilderness and the big cities.

The USA: a must visit place, but not newyork and ****, Everywhere, esp. in the west.

Some place wild.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

I Really want to return to Eruope, this time to visit Southern and Western Europe, places like Spain, Italy, France, Germany and the UK. I would loev to make it a very long trip (a month or more in each of those) but that seems unlikely.

I would really recommend Bocas del Toro to anyone who likes their vacations to be of the Carribean paradise type. It is one hour by plane from Panama city (accessible by most major airlines) and it will be cheap. If you come form the US, no need to change money, and if you come form the US and Europe, no visa issues. Crystal clear waters, great snorkeling and some surfing, and 10 bucks for a Fresh lobster!
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I like vacation talk.

I really want to go to the Yucatan and Belize. See some ruins, drink some beer, SCUBA, snorkel, do nothing...

One day I will make it to Spain too, that would be kewl.

Azzazel: you should come to California. Lots of wilderness, lots of wild, lots of beaches, lots of desert....

Think Tahoe, Yosemite, Napa, Sequoia, Death Valley, Joshua Tree, LA, San Diego, Malibu, Venice Beach, Monterey, Pismo, Santa Cruz, San Francisco

Lots of fun to be had...!
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Yucatan..Belize

Bocas del Toro

Who needs ruins!

If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Resurrecting this one from the ashes...

When Laura and I go on vacations, there is usually a "theme" or an event that we base the vacation around - we're not the sort of people to say "let's go to the beach and bum around": We vacation with purpose!

About 5 years ago, we went on a vacation that had two goals in mind: seeing some friends that we've met on the internet, and Washington DC. We first drove to Williamsburg, VA and met a woman that I knew over the 'net, then to DC for about 5 days, then we drove to Columbus, OH to meet somebody that Laura knew.

In 2000, we went on a 2 week vacation that had as its theme(s) Ivy League Colleges, the Republican National Convention, and Revolutionary War sites. We drove to Philadelphia (actually Princeton, NJ) and spent a number of days there doing the standard touristy stuff, plus we were able to visit the campuses of the U. of Penn., and, of course, Princeton. I even got into the convention, hopped on some computer, and snuck a post onto the 'Poly boards. We then travelled to Boston, MA (stopping at Yale for lunch - God is that place stuck in the middle of a craptacular city), where we pretty much did the same as in Philly - go to a bunch of Rev. War sites (Concord/Lexington, Breed and Bunker Hills, the Tea Party, Paul Revere's home, etc) and colleges (MIT, Harvard, Boston College). I tried to meet Mao and MLeonard, but they were too young to be let out of Mommy's house w/o supervision. We also once ate lunch at Cheers.

This past week we spent some time in Cleveland for the Buffy convention.

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
              Let me know if you ever do that.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Washington DC was a very nice place; I went there with my dad last Easter and I'd love to go back sometime.

I'd also like to see Japan at some point.
                "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Let's see...these are the countries I have visited: Germany, Belgium, Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Italy, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, USA, and Mexico.

Generally I enjoyed my visits to those countries. I still like going to Italy a lot. After Singapore, it's the country I've been to most often

I'd still like to go to Spain and Portugal. I'm thinking of going to Portugal for Euro 2004.
                  Ireland and Canada seem cool too, and I definitely want to see more of the US than I currently have. I've only been to California, Arizona, Nevada, and Florida.
                  I definitely want to go to the North East area (esp. Boston, New York, Washington).

Certain Eastern European cities appeal to me as well, like Prague and Budapest...

Comment

I have nearly no memories of my travel in the US east coast when I was 5, except that Bayous are a scary place for kids, and I was sick in NY

Spain -Andalusia to be precise- is heaven for the night owl. The nightlife there is absolutely terrific, with everybody eating on the restaurants' terraces at midnight OTOH, I have no significant memories of Portugal.

Norway is a great place in summer, if you don't mind rain and wind. Amazing landscape, wilderness as much as you want, nice people

Yucatan rules if you don't stay in Cancun. In inner Mexico, Aztec ruins are a must see : If you go to Teotihuacan out of the tourist's season with a good guide, it is a memory that'll never fade I didn't find Mexico city interesting at all though. Nice markets there, but that's all.

I spent two weeks in Los Angeles and San Diego. The only interesting thing there was my brother, and San Diego's zoo. Otherwise, there is no reason for me to go to these cities ever again (as a tourist, I really hate Los Angeles - San Diego is better IMHO)

Greece rules Sunny weather, beautiful landscape + beautiful architecture (not only ruins : current villages are sweet ). And the greeks are the ones who know how to do Feta Cheese. If you ever go to Greece, go to Cefalonia Island, near Corfou. This place is nearly unknown to tourists, and it' absolutely great

Venice is overrated.

And obviously, I spend most of my holidays in Paris. A really good city to visit and to experience. Beautiful and interesting place, with a very nice nightlife and daylife
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Let me know if you ever do that.

I sure will.
                      but that's a middle/long term plan, unfortunately. I haven't travelled the old world enough.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

I do plan on being in Wittenberg, Germany for the 500th anniversary of the start of the Reformation.

Comment

Spain: Great place, but it is very hot there in May. It seems like everybody smokes there...even in a BOOKSTORE. I'll never forget the guy smoking in a bookstore.

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel

The USA: a must visit place, but not newyork and ****, Everywhere, esp. in the west.

Some place wild.
                            You wanna be cowboy. Come on, it's alright, admit it.
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

eventually I would like to see western canada. It is close enough to drive, but I'd lose to much time driving. So I may fly up there.

Comment

Working...
                              X