Mikes story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part 9 Continued.
    That evening when they reached the farm house there was a light on in the kitchen, and it sounded like the family were having their evening meal. Mike made his way up to the front of the property while Tom took out his pistol and gave him cover.

"Hello! Hello! weve come from Leeds to see you!" called Mike.

For a few moments there was silence, Toms figer tightened on the trigger. "Hello! Hello! we have food and fresh horses for you," came a familiar voice from inside the house. The door opened, "Hello Mike wheres Tom?", it was Scratch.

"What the hell are you doing here?" asked Mike.

"This is my parents farm, I had no idea you were coming here until I arrived home two days ago. Ive guessed that you are heading to Moscow, but for what reason I do not know,"

"Scratch you old dog you," said Tom breaking from his cover.

"Quick you two come inside, the army patrols past here regulary about every hour." Scratch introduced them to his family who gave them food and drink. "Id like to come with you, Ive got three fresh horses saddled up in the barn waiting for us to leave."

Mike looked to Tom who nodded approvingly, "Okay Scratch your in. But I cant tell you where were going or why yet, though you will soon find out. I reckon you probably know the country around here better then me any how, glad to have you on board mate."

"Yeah likewise Scratch," added Tom.

Scratch made his farewells and the three of them set off at a fast gallop accross the arid countryside. Scratch did indeed know his way around as well as knowing the location of all local checkpoints and army patrol routes. They made excellent time and avoided any enemy contact.

As they approached the outskirts of Moscow, Scratch went to speak to a farmer who agreed to look after the horses. Mike was beginning to wonder why everyone seemed to be helping them, "Scratch are all the farmers against the Russian leadership, why does everyone seem to help us,"

"Mike you dont know the half of it. Only about nine months ago the soldiers shot dead my younger brother in front of my parents, because they did not have enough money to pay for their protection!" Sratch said.

More to come tomorrow.
    Last edited by ChrisiusMaximus; November 10, 2002, 05:16.
    A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

There better be more to come! Can't wait!

Two thumbs up for Mike's story!

...wait wait, make it three plus a smiley face...

Comment

Sorry for the delay folks, much going on at home this weekend.

PART 9 continued.

"Oh my word! Scratch I am sorry, the Russian army treat their own people as badly as their enemies then?" Mike said.

"Its a long story Mike but for now we should get moving, it will be daylight in a few hours. You will have to tell me where we are headed for Mike! so I can decide which way to go."

"Yes mate youre right, we need to get into the centre of Moscow and take refuge at the cathedral. Ill tell you the rest when we get there."

"How far would you say it is?" asked Tom.

"About six miles to the city centre!" replied Scratch.

The three men set off, comrades with a joint goal although Scratch did not what his goal was. Mike did not tell Scratch the mission in case they were captured and interrogated, he somehow hoped that not knowing would protect him in that event.

"Sir the English agents have been spotted approaching the cathedral!" a young Russian soldier said.

"Good! very good now we can sit and wait till they have done the deed." said his commander Vovan.

Vovan the old soldier was lying in wait for Mike and Tom, he had three men with him and was a high ranking officer in the Russian army with a taste for power of his own. There were many factions in Russia's armed forces who if given the chance would try sieze power for themselves. Vovan had taken Simon prisoner before he could leave Leeds and subjected him to terrible torture to extract his information, needless to say Simon never made it to his meeting with Sir Timothy.

Mike, Tom and Scratch were woken by the clocks bells at dawn on the day of the parade, they had managed to slip easily into Moscow the other night.

"I cant help feeling somethings wrong!" said Scratch.

"Its okay mate were in, so far so good thanks to you," said Tom.

"No you dont understand, we have'nt seen any patrols in the streets outside since we got here yesterday. And dont you think it was a little to easy geting here in the first place."

"Look Scratch keep it shut! weve got a job to do and now were here were going to do it." said Mike with authority.

"Okay Ill be quiet."

Vovan had planned to have one of his men take the shot if the English agents had not made it, but this was perfect for him. Not only would the Czarina be out of the way but he would be the one who captured the assassins. All the more to aid his claim to power!

The time had approached, " right Scratch you may have guessed by now but our mission is to assassinate Catherine when she takes the salute today. Tom is going to use this long range double sighted rifle to shoot her when she steps up on to the podium over there."

"No chance! and how do you plan on getting out of here," said Scratch.

"You just wait and see mate," said Tom.

"We were briefed to make it down into the sewers and lie low until things settle down," Mike continued to explain all the things that Simon had said to them back at the mines at Leeds.

"My god! you English dont do things by halves do you! an invasion force off the coast of Leeds you say. Well I only hope things go to plan, but if you want my advice dont go to the sewers. I know for a fact they are patrolled regulary."

"But simon was absolutley clear about it, he said our only chance was to hideout there." said Tom.

"Simon is not here taking the risks! trust me Mike his information must have been wrong. There are many dark forces at work in Russia." warned Scratch.

"Okay Scratch after the shot we'll follow you, after all you got us in okay!" said Mike.

Tom got into posistion and checked his sights, "I need you to stay quiet now while I concentrate." He said to the others, his target was in his line and he tensed the trigger and fired DAMN!! the ***** moved. The party on the podium were in a state of panic and the Czarinas bodyguards tried to get to her when her forehead erupted with the impact of the second bullet, as she fell backwards into the arms of an old Russian general.

"That was amazing Tom! how did you manage to react so fast," said Mike.

"I told you it would be no problem!" replied Tom.

"Quickly follow me! this way!" shouted Scratch.

As they made it down stairs into the hall of the cathedral the south doors were suddenly kicked open and bullets began flying in all directions, "Take cover!" shouted Mike and threw the rifle to Scratch. Tom instintively did a forward roll and found some cover then in the confusion put a bullet between the eyes of the first Russian. "Good shooting!" shouted Mike.

The odds were now even, Vovan had not expected their to be three to contend with as Scratch hit another in the chest who collapsed onto the pugh's in front of him. Realising things were not going his way he shouted out to Mike, "Mike! dont shoot it is I Vovan form Leeds, you remember. Put down your weapons and I will protect you."

"Never you dog! what have you done with Simon?"

"Simon has gone to hell! where you will soon join him!" he shouted back and fired at Scratch, hitting him in his right leg.

"You b****rd!" shouted Tom as he broke from cover and emptied his pistol into Vovans body. Vovan collapsed on to the floor in a pool of his own blood when the last Russian fired and hit Tom in the stomach. Mike broke from cover and shot the Russian between the Eyes and he fell to the floor.

Scratch who was injured himself picked Tom up and told Mike to help him, "Come on theres a secret passage in the crypt! it goes under the square and comes up into the local resistance HQ underneath a cafe."

Tom was in a bad way and bleeding heavily, "No youll never get out with me, Mike leave me your gun Ill try to hold them off for as long as possible," said Tom.

"Never! Im not leaveing you here Tom!" said Mike.

"Youve got no choice, now do what Ive told you. Give me your gun and get out of here, Now!!"

They could here soldiers approaching, "Okay my friend, Ill never forget you," said Mike.

"GO NOW!" Tom shouted.

As Mike and Scratch made it into the tunnel they heard gunfire behind them , several shots were fired then silence. Tom had paid the ultimate price, he had sacrificed his own life for his comrades.

This was the the story of Mike Richards the son of a Stonemason from Leeds. Whose life was thrown into chaos by the actions of an evil regime that had now claimed the life of his best friend Tom.

More to come in the form of an epilogue to the story so far. This will be posted later today.

Please try and comment on this if you get time today, I know that many people were looking forward to an epic war but I never intended to tell such a story.

This is what the title says it is, "Mikes Story" I hope you like it.
        Last edited by ChrisiusMaximus; November 11, 2002, 03:36.
        A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Wow, big action ending. I thought they'd let Scratchy snipe catherine since he's a crack shot.

As for the epilogue, you might wanna keep Jess's whereabouts a secret so there's room for a sequel. I got an idea for it (a proper idea , not the previous dumb ones I posted before).
          Here is an interesting scenario to check out. The Vietnam war is cool.

Comment

Epilogue.

Twelve months had passed by ever so quickly Mike thought to himself. He had been made the commander of the garrison of Leeds after the short lived Russian Revolution. He himself had been awarded the "Elizabeth Cross" as had Tom his fallen comrade, Scratch who was now sporting a wooden lower right leg had been awarded "The British Empire Cross" for his distinguished service to the Commonwealth.

Mikes parents were in the congregation today, a proud day for their son. A memorial was being unveiled in leeds main square by Mike today to commemorate all those who had fallen in struggle for Leeds and elsewhere. The whole garrison was on parade in their finest uniforms to hear their commander speak.

"Let us remember before God, those who have died for their country in war!, those whom we knew, and whose memory we treasure. And all who have lived and died in the service of others." Mike said then paused for a while,
            "They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them."

For now there was a peace in the world, although more fragile than ever before. The expectations of the British government had all come to pass and New England had been returned to the British in full. The Prime Minister now into his second term thanked Mike for his and his comrades bravery and continued with his speech.

As Mike turned to go back to his seat he noticed a woman in the crowds staring at him, A beautiful tall slim woman with long blonde hair and piercing blue eyes!

(Added text after completion)
            Mike could not make out her features for sure, a knot formed in his stomach, could it be Jess?. If you want to find out for sure you will have to keep your eyes peeled for a sequel. Stay tuned because Scratch and I have got some ideas!!

THE END
            Last edited by ChrisiusMaximus; November 11, 2002, 03:42.

Comment

Hope my epilogue doesnt spoil youre idea scratch and Ive given you a wooden leg. Now all you need to do is train a parrot to sit on your shoulder and crap down your back and you can join the pirates.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
                As Mike turned to go back to his seat he noticed a woman in the crowds staring at him, A beautiful tall slim woman with long blonde hair and piercing blue eyes!
                Only two lines about Jess?
                Whatelse, a great story!
                Nym
                "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

Thank you Nym glad you liked it.

Comment

Well, Chrisius, a very nice ending. But then, of course, you realize the consequences of giving Vovan the role you did - I'll have to find a proper place for you in my story

Otherwise, great stuff
                    XBox Live: VovanSim
                    xbox.com (login required)
                    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                    Spore page

Comment

Im just glad to see your still alive man! one gets so caught up in what one is writing it gets hard to distingiush reality from fiction.

Thanks for your unending support vovansim,

Comment

I agree with Nymrod that that last line of the most legendary story in the history of civilization was a bit of a let-down. It's makes a sequel a bit harder to manage but it's still quite possible to work out. Anyways, I was glad that vovan went down in a hail of lead. I'm thinking now if there's a way of introducing him into my story to be "rubbed" as you put it (but don't count on it).

frogface says "Yeah! Rub out that vovan dude!"

Comment

Thanks again for your input Scratch, you didnt say whether you like the leg idea.

I think that Nym was only expressing his saddness at not finding out more about Jess. Sorry if it spoils your enjoyment of the whole story.

The point that you may have missed is that the woman in the crowd may not be Jess, it certainly does not confirm this in the text. My intention was to leave you wondering who she is, is that Jess?

Hope this explanation helps, also Scratch Id be interested to hear your ideas for this sequel you mentioned. Maybe you could PM me and we can share some thoughts.
                          Last edited by ChrisiusMaximus; November 11, 2002, 03:34.

Comment

One more thing that I would like to point out, ChrisiusMaximus. In the last couple of chapters, you started making similar mistakes the the ones in the beginning. Your spelling was good, and punctuation in most cases also, but the lack of apostrophes made the story a little hard to read. Words like don't, aren't, and such are fine, but when you omit one in the abbreviation we're, that gets a little confusing.

I am, however looking forward to the next time you decide to write. We are all just getting better with every story, and if you were able to produce something cool like this at your first try, imagine what you could do next time.
                            XBox Live: VovanSim
                            xbox.com (login required)
                            Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                            Spore page

Comment

Thanks vovan

Comment

I was thinking of making a mystery story out of it. I got some ideas, but if you're the writer you can cook up your own tale.

Wooden leg? Dude, I'll take a real one anyday.

Comment

Working...
                                X