Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still no solution to spearman vs tank problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still no-one has posted a save or screenshot or whatever. I am not attacking those who have seen this, but I am attacking this events existence, and will do so until I see proof of some kind. Or if it happens to me.

Steele
    If this were a movie, there'd be a tunnel or something near here for us to escape through.....

Comment

Ok, steelehc,

I'm probably going to be eliminated for telling you the truth, but it's all been a big conspiracy to try and trick you. Everybody got together at Apolyton and conjured the Spearman killing a Tank story just to mess with your head...

I'm sorry that we've been playing this nasty joke on you.

Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889).

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

Comment

Tsk, tsk, tsk Dom Pedro. The ninja spear-hit-man is enroute.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Dom Pedro: ROFLMAO!! Thats the funniest thing I have heard all week. Thanks for humoring me.

Seriously, I find this hard enough to believe, and having never seen it myself in many hours of Civ3 does not help its credibility. I do not mean to attack anyone, but without proof I find such claims as "I lost 5 tanks to 4 spearmen" rather hard to believe.

NYE: if you are sending ninja-spear-hitmen, then I am doomed, as my only defense lies in my tanks.

Steele
          If this were a movie, there'd be a tunnel or something near here for us to escape through.....

Comment

I posted a topic on this exact question... "where is the evidence?" and nobody was able to give me a save of tanks losing to spears. A few did say they had experienced it, but most had never seen that occur and didn't see how it could.
            Lime roots and treachery!
            "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

The worst that I've ever had was a musketeer fortified in a city defeated by a regular warrior. That darn warrior razed my city too.

Comment

Originally posted by Conqueror

I have tough time believing that, i cant remember ever losing tanks to spearmen, unless, ofcourse you use low health tanks to attack full health elite spearmen.

Lower your difficulty level if you cant handle losing units ?

And dont talk about "but it must be like in real life", would you seriously state that spearmen or other units survive for thousands of years in real life.
                I can't beleive there are still wussy boys who whine about losing a unit. Try to approach the game strategically. Who cares if an occasional unit is lost. You should have enough to cover it. And the way odds work, you will occasionally benefit also. Do you want the game to be mechanical and tectical or strategic and fun?

Comment

I want my games to be mechanical and tectical
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

One important thing!

Defense bonus in metopolis is 100%
                    plus fortify (25%)

Which gives 2.25 multiplier not counting terrain.

So in metopolis:
                    Cavalry can lose form Pikemen. (6 vs 7.5)

Cavalry can lose from Speramen. (6 vs 5)

Tank can lose from Musketmen (16 vs 9), but rarely

Tank can lose from Rilfmen (16 vs 13.5).

Anyway, don't foget CITY BONUS.
                    Urban combat is diffenet form open space combat.
                    Use artillery if you don't want to lose some tanks.

Comment

Use artillery liberally, in all circumsatnces. Makes a better salad.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Bah.... there's no solution. The game is flawed. It's like the leaky dam... you plug up one hole, another appears.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Just think of it like this, the spearman was probably created say 3000BC and the tank 2000AD. This means the spearman has 5000 years more combat training/experience. One can learn alot in that time...

And btw, yes it has happened to me (once, and the tank had only two HP left attacking a city), but no, I don't think of it as a problem.

(and steelehc, that was 4 tanks to 5 spearmen, not the other way around...)

edit: I'll learn to spell someday...
                          /Cesa

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                            Use artillery liberally, in all circumsatnces. Makes a better salad.
                            That'll be rocket then
                            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                            H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane
                              The best thing Firaxis could do is to give obsolete units a new look in new eras. For example, a spearman in the modern age would look like some rag-headed militant sporting revolvers and molotov cocktails. People could live with the occasional loss after that.

They alresdy update the worker (and leaders), why not make it for some other units, too?
                              Apparently someone has tried that and it works. Simply add a folder in Art/Units with era specific graphics, like the Settler etc. now has, and any unit can upgrade their appearance, though not their ability.

Comment

This is ridiculous. The people on one side of the debate say "This can't happen because the probability is just too low" so they complain about the combat system, and the people on the other side say "That can't happen because the probability is just too low" and so they demand to see proof that of these 'miracle spearman' who can somehow magically obtain results in strict accordance with the laws of probability.

Comment

Working...
                                X