Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still no solution to spearman vs tank problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still no solution to spearman vs tank problem.

I still think it would be a good idea to enable free upgrades to very obsolete AI units. This would essentially prevent the Spearman/Tank situation, without changing the unit values themselves.
    Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
    Waikato University, Hamilton.

CHANGE UNIT VALUES!!!

Changing Firaxis' stupid unit values is an absloute MUST. I would have used the game as a frisbee three months ago if I didn't.

All post-gunpowder units must be a lot stronger; resources made more available; Espionage made a lot cheaper; useless units such as the helicopter, F-15, privateer, submarine, and explorer (the nukes, too) changed into something more realistic, more historical, and more PLAYABLE than the mindless crap Firaxis slapped together. Naval units also need to be stronger, faster, and no bombardment for ironclads and frigates.

There have been numerous threads on that topic on this and the other forum.

Comment

You can change the amount of hit points each unit has. +or- 20%.

Give ancient units -20%
      whatever the name of this age is units -10%
      Industrial units +10%
      Modern units +20%
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Does that make much difference Tuberski?

Comment

Re: Still no solution to spearman vs tank problem.

Originally posted by Grrr
          I still think it would be a good idea to enable free upgrades to very obsolete AI units. This would essentially prevent the Spearman/Tank situation, without changing the unit values themselves.
          Funny, that kind of stuff is being created by the SLICers everyday in the CTP2 Mod community...

Oh well, can't have everything here!
          Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
          ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Well I can't find a location from where to download CtP II in it's entirety.

Comment

Does that make much difference Tuberski?
              I'm not sure, I don't have the patch yet. but it seems to me that a regular tank with 3 hit points and 16 AR will beat a spearman with 1 Hp and a 2 DR, much more often. You can also turn of the thing that holds the random seed, so if you DO lose you can reload and get a different result.

Comment

I need to find that random seed option. That may be of great use in these situations.

Comment

I didn't realize there was a tank vs spearman problem.

I think there is more of a problem of people playing for the easy win on levels below their ability.

The last game I played (on emperor), there were no ancient units anywhere at least during the industrial age. there had been continuous warfare and in the end, I had to kill maybe 500 mech and regular infantry to win. But no where did my modern or industrial units come up against the ancients.

I agree (for once) with Coracle that this has been discussed exhaustively with solutions before. (sigh)

(of course, this is not to say that I have not had frustrating and unlikely defeats, but I only move with overwhelming force, so that the random defeat doesn't screw me.)

Comment

Well I can't find a location from where to download CtP II in it's entirety.
                    You can buy a complete copy with documentation for something like $10 so there really isn't a need to steal it.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I agree with asleepathewheel I always try to use overwhelming force when I go into battle.

The whole thing doesn't really matter to me either way.

Comment

Not in New Zealand. . I spent about that much on both CtP and Civ III and it wasn't worth it.

Comment

Not in New Zealand. . I spent about that much on both CtP and Civ III and it wasn't worth it.
                          Search www.ebay.com for "call to power". There is currently at least one ctpII for sale.

Comment

"Still no solution to spearman vs tank problem. "

How can you say that when you haven't even tried the hit point bonus solution?
                            Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

The best thing Firaxis could do is to give obsolete units a new look in new eras. For example, a spearman in the modern age would look like some rag-headed militant sporting revolvers and molotov cocktails. People could live with the occasional loss after that.

They alresdy update the worker (and leaders), why not make it for some other units, too?

Comment

Working...
                              X