Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I want -- is what I already had

Originally posted by Shadowlord
    It sounds like they sure got a lot accomplished. And I look forward to more.

For those of you that are complaining they haven't put enough in yet, I ask you this:

Would you prefer they added half of what they are planning, and got it tested and released, so you had half of it to play with while they worked on the rest, or that they didn't release any patches at all until they were completely done fixing the game, hm?
    What I would prefer -- is that they wouldn't release the product with an editor that isn't as powerful/useful as it was in previous products, and test the features they ARE releasing the game with to make sure they work.
    "Never offend someone with style when you can offend them with substance." Sam Brown, Washington Post, 1/26/77

Comment

• What does the HP thing mean?
      I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

• I would really like to know how the AI trade has been changed. The readme is too cyptical to give any clear answers. Guess I have to wait for the chat, tho.

I also would have liked to see longbowmen and other units disappear from the city build list. Or why not make it Win2000-like, so that only units/buildings you build a lot show up (others hidden in a sub-tree).

Comment

• * Fixed bug involving extra movement costs if the unit can't
          advance after combat.
          I´m not sure I like this. This makes blitz units even better. The german Panzer will really rock now. On the other hand, Cavalry/Knight (even horsemen) armies will now be useful, too.

Comment

• Re: FIXES NOT MENTIONED

Originally posted by Nemo

Still no option to make nuclear weapons kill units in city (or is this covered under the new option for bombardment kill ability?)
            Nukes kill units good now
            Seemingly Benign
            Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

• Originally posted by planetfall
              Hopefully this was for cities you planted in the wrong place and want to abandon. If works sure beats trying to force a settler from a pop 2 city or a worker from size one. That method seldom worked.
              Maybe I misunderstand, but the method ALWAYS works, just as long as you make sure your city doesn't grow anymore (no extra food production).

AJ
              " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
              - emperor level all time
              - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

• Having read all news related to newest patch, I kind of regret that most changes seem to apply to the editor (hardly use it myself, very good for many of others though).

The changed tech trading needs clarification: will players be able to research competitively on emperor/deity from the ancient era on?

The Emerged noted that the correct starting locations for earth maps (promised several months ago) don't seem to be defaulted yet. Why??? Or am I missing something?

Martock noted that we still can't upgrade units in armies.

Hurricane stated that outdated units should disappear. Yes, they should. However sometimes a player doesn't have the resources to build more modern units, so occasionally you might want to build them. Compromise: forbid the domestic nag to start producing outdated units. That way you don't have to waste (stupid) time changing the production lists.

AJ
                " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
                - emperor level all time
                - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

• Re: Re: it's here: 1.21F PATCH DETAILS

[SIZE=1]
                  Hm, I didn't quote the Disband City option, but it's the most important addition, I think. Does this mean that I can right-click any city, anytime and disband it as though it were being razed? Do I get anything back (most probably, a Settler)?
                  Hmm...A faster way to clear jungles?

Take a settler, found a city in the middle of a jungle, next turn disband him, move him one space over, found a city, disband him, move him one space over........

Wouldn't that make starts near a jungle easier!

Bill9999

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: it's here: 1.21F PATCH DETAILS

Originally posted by Bill9999

Take a settler, found a city in the middle of a jungle, next turn disband him, move him one space over, found a city, disband him, move him one space over........

Bill9999
                    Yes you have a point here! That's great, I hate jungle! Let's hope the AI don't exploit this too much!
                    Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: it's here: 1.21F PATCH DETAILS

Originally posted by Hagbart
                      Yes you have a point here! That's great, I hate jungle! Let's hope the AI don't exploit this too much!
                      I think that human would be the one who'll exploit this.

P.S.
                      Exept if Soren has already fixed this exploit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deathwalker
                        What does the HP thing mean?
                        Ehrr... Hit Points, of course. Where do you lived for the last ten years? A sad place without a strategic game available?

(Just kidding)
                        "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                        - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Bill9999
                          some people are just always exploiting the game, no wonder we need so many patches!!
                          GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Bill9999
                            Disbanding doesn't give you the settler back. It just disbands the city. A very exensive way to clear jungle quickly.
                            Seemingly Benign
                            Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

• Its abandon, not disband.
                              Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

Comment

• Originally posted by Shadowlord
                                For those of you that are complaining they haven't put enough in yet, I ask you this:

Would you prefer they added half of what they are planning, and got it tested and released, so you had half of it to play with while they worked on the rest, or that they didn't release any patches at all until they were completely done fixing the game, hm?
                                I'm not complaining about this patch, I like the Firaxis decision to fix the game to a proper level.
                                I only like to mention that a good open beta can do a lot for early bug fixing, balancing and general improvement to the game.

Every round of patches is an extreme misure that should be considered when a reasonable effort has been put into delivering a complete game from start.

I would be happy to give a try to a modular game, from a company that'll release the first version of the game with basic functions to show and support the main design decision of the game and a sketched graphic.

That version of the game (basically the game engine) should be distributed free on the net, just to grab player attention. Then, after a round of feedback the company should start to fill the first release with modular expansions (this time selling them at an acceptable cost). Next feeback turn, next round of expansions.

Advantages: more solid test of few function every time, easy centralized no-regression test, best use of fan base suggestions (more focused), some expansion can be optional (the game still work without them), e.g. a more detailed combat model can be used instead of a simplified one, ditto for buildings and resources or trading.

The tactical level AI is boundled with every module, to manage the related features and objects, while a strategical level AI is improved at the "game engine" main module to interface the tactical level AI.

I know isn't an easy task to develop and manage separate module, but the same was believed for advanced game graphics until id started to sell Doom and Quake engines to everyone. (making quite a lot of money, IIRC).

I wonder if a similar concept is considered in Vel's project...
                                "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                                - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Working...
                                X