Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's preemptively guess bad suggestions for Civ4!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the begining of every turn the domestic advisor should inform you of every single town that is not producing longbowmen and ask you why you don't, in fact, produce longbowmen in this town. If you tell her that you want to produce something else she will check with you again at the end of your turn just to make sure. The default answer to the question should of course be "switch to longbowmen immediately"

The military advisor should be allowed to declare war.

Instead of building wonders the normal way you should be asked to guess a number between 1 and 10. If you guess is correct you get the wonder. This will help civilizations with bad ifrastructure from falling too far behind in the wonder race. It also adds to the randomness of the game, which is good.

All battles should be fought with rock-paper-scissors contests. THis will help scientifically disadvataged civs from falling too far behind.

Whenever you win a battle you gain a "civ-card". These cards can be traded with the ai. They can also be traded/sold onlide with other players. The civ-cards has no effect on gameplay.

Capture the flag win should also be possible

Each civ should be led by the most famous pop singer from that country: America should thus be led by Britney Spears, England by Robbie Williams etc. This will help selling the game to players who would otherwise not consider buying it. A version for younger players should also be available with leaders such as Teletubbies, Barney the Dinosaur, Tellevinken (swedish hand doll, very popular in the 80s)

Other than the existing advisors you should also have a jester who suggests crazy ideas every now and then. He should also tell you a bad jokes every five turns (to save space on the cd, only 4-5 jokes needs to exist. Prefferably, all of them should start out with "Waiter, there is a fly in my soup") This will lighten up the game considerably.
    No, wait, if we build this large wooden badger......

Comment

Vetinari

I want SS Muppets for advisors.

Domestic is BigBird
      Trade is Count Count
      Culture is Burt
      Military is Oscar
      Science is Ernie

[Edit] On second thought, and having forgotten Foreign the first time...

Domestic is BigBird
      Trade is Count Count
      Military is CookieMonster *Me want resourses, NOWWWW!*
      Foreign is Oscar
      Culture is Burt
      Science is Ernie

Yes, thats much better. [/Edit]
      Last edited by notyoueither; April 6, 2002, 01:38.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Bolster the attack value of the weak Mounted Warrior

Great Leaders should both be more powerful and more random.
        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

At the begining of every turn the domestic advisor should inform you of every single town that is not producing longbowmen and ask you why you don't, in fact, produce longbowmen in this town. If you tell her that you want to produce something else she will check with you again at the end of your turn just to make sure.
          Ack, no, I want the multiple confirmations to come at the same time! Less confusing!

That would be ok, provided he moves the units, too. But he should consult with the foreign advisor first, to find out who we like the least. And it should all be a check-able option. (Eliminates micromanagement, helps newbies out.)

Other than the existing advisors you should also have a jester
          He should come up now and then, *instead* of a normal advisor, except the default response should be messed with (e.g. default is "declare war," "raze city"). If a player is caught off-guard now and then, it will help the AI keep up.

Dom Pedro:
          Some of you seem like the real hardcore players... you'll only be happy if civilization is stripped down to the point where it features two monochrome paddles batting a little 4-bit "ball" on a black background.
          A ball? That sounds like a "wouldn't it be cool" suggestion...

Miznia

P.S.: I have achieved Warlord status.
          Last edited by Miznia; April 5, 2002, 20:31.
          I hate oral!!

Comment

i l;ike the natural wonders i think it's a great idea.
            Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

I think that you should have the ability to name the citizens in your cities. Like you could name the unhappy people jimmytrick or coracle or yin26, etc. And then draft them into the military.

Comment

Thanks a lot!
                I needed this after the Civ3 is too American thread.
                Est-ce que tu as vu une baleine avec un queue taché?
                If you don't feel the slightist bit joyful seeing the Iraqis dancing in the street, then you are lost to the radical left. If you don't feel the slightest bit bad that we had to use force to do this, then you are lost to the radical right.

Comment

I want to name my ships ... it would be great watching the battleship "SS Minnow" sinking enemy ships ....
                  None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

There should be an activated "Dark Age" similar to the "Golden Age" for each civ. Triggered whenever one of your UUs loses a battle, or you build any wonder that has nothing to do whatsoever with your civilization traits, a dark age would result in all your production halved and corruption doubled. In addition, your capital would be sacked by barbarians (or, if no barbarians are present, sack itself) and most of your cities would randomly defect to other civs. As a final insult, all those barbarian warriors wandering about would have attack and defense values of 20 during the dark age, but only with respect to you.

The dark age lasts for 20 turns, or until you quit in disgust (the far more likely situation).
                    Lime roots and treachery!
                    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

how about having great tragedies; that appear randomly, tthe opposite of wonders: ie; Sept 11, Random Capital movement (ala Constatine(i know that wasn't random)) theid be randomly generated whenever a civ gets too strong.
                      Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

bad/unrealistic ideas for a Civ game? That's easy...

Comment

Originally posted by Vetinari
                          At the begining of every turn the domestic advisor should inform you of every single town that is not producing longbowmen and ask you why you don't, in fact, produce longbowmen in this town. If you tell her that you want to produce something else she will check with you again at the end of your turn just to make sure. The default answer to the question should of course be "switch to longbowmen immediately"

Instead of building wonders the normal way you should be asked to guess a number between 1 and 10. If you guess is correct you get the wonder. This will help civilizations with bad ifrastructure from falling too far behind in the wonder race. It also adds to the randomness of the game, which is good.

All battles should be fought with rock-paper-scissors contests. THis will help scientifically disadvataged civs from falling too far behind.

Whenever you win a battle you gain a "civ-card". These cards can be traded with the ai. They can also be traded/sold onlide with other players. The civ-cards has no effect on gameplay.

Capture the flag win should also be possible

Each civ should be led by the most famous pop singer from that country: America should thus be led by Britney Spears, England by Robbie Williams etc. This will help selling the game to players who would otherwise not consider buying it. A version for younger players should also be available with leaders such as Teletubbies, Barney the Dinosaur, Tellevinken (swedish hand doll, very popular in the 80s)

Other than the existing advisors you should also have a jester who suggests crazy ideas every now and then. He should also tell you a bad jokes every five turns (to save space on the cd, only 4-5 jokes needs to exist. Prefferably, all of them should start out with "Waiter, there is a fly in my soup") This will lighten up the game considerably.

We'll know who to blame if any of this is implemented (and given the current state of the game who knows what'll happen)
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

More easy-to-remember keyboard shortcuts. For example:

CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-J: Move stack excluding units inside armies

CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-U: Automatically move all obsolete units to the nearest city with barracks and auto-upgrade when unit arrives at destination. Then unit automatically moves back to city of origin.

CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-I: Improve terrain without altering existing improvements except mines->irrigation on plains, don´t build railroads in forests and focus on connecting all cities with roads.

CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-WINKEY-I: Same as above but don´t improve inside foreign territory, no matter what.

F: Fortify unit for 5 rounds.

CTRL-F: Fortify unit for 10 rounds.

CTRL-SHIFT-F: Fortify unit for 15 rounds.

CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-F: Fortify unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane
                              More easy-to-remember keyboard shortcuts. For example:

CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-J: Move stack excluding units inside armies

CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-U: Automatically move all obsolete units to the nearest city with barracks and auto-upgrade when unit arrives at destination. Then unit automatically moves back to city of origin.

CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-I: Improve terrain without altering existing improvements except mines->irrigation on plains, don´t build railroads in forests and focus on connecting all cities with roads.

CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-WINKEY-I: Same as above but don´t improve inside foreign territory, no matter what.

F: Fortify unit for 5 rounds.

CTRL-F: Fortify unit for 10 rounds.

CTRL-SHIFT-F: Fortify unit for 15 rounds.

CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-F: Fortify unit.
                              Those are too easy you need combinations of CTRL-Shift-ALT-WINKEY-CAPSLOCK-NUMLOCK-UPARROW-DOWNARROW-BACKSPACE-INSERT- X

This means 11 keys and 10 fingers. You need to play with fingers and toes this way.
                              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

how about adding immigration in there?

Comment

Working...
                                X