Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's preemptively guess bad suggestions for Civ4!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's preemptively guess bad suggestions for Civ4!

I thought of this today, and figured it would be really easy to come up with funny ones, but it's kind of hard...

Some have said that Civ3's faults are in fact things that people asked for, and that's what's gotten me thinking.

I'll take a stab at a few:

RELIGION. Every civ has their own religion, but you can convert AI cities to your religion by using a Diplomat-like "Cleric" or "Missionary" unit. A stealth unit...?

ECONOMIC WARFARE. AKA Corporate Branches. Every city's trade is controlled by some nation, you build Merchant units (equivalent to Clerics) to steal cities' economic control.

EU-STYLE MERCHANTS. Your cities have to keep churning out Merchants, and you have to remember to deploy them, or all the other civs will get your trade. (Eventually you can give up and set them to auto-deploy, in which case the AI Governor will send them all to Venice.)

RELIGION. It works like culture, except more religion-specific improvements are added to the game. There is a "Religion Victory" but if you have a high religion score, AI players with similarly high scores hate you.

TERRAFORMING. You should be able to build polders, like the Dutch, and expand your land out into the sea. You should be able to level mountains and hills. And you should be able to build cities underwater and base air units there.

CIV-SPECIFIC TECH TREES. This could go hand-in-hand with more UU's (Jaguar Paratrooper, Mechanized Chariot) and also unique Improvements (Japanese Zaibatsu replaces Bank, American McDonald's replaces Cathedral, etc). Your strategy is completely different based on what civ you play.

CIV "CANADIANS." It's time. A large segment of the market would like to play as Canadians.

SLAVERY. Your Slaver unit steals population and drops it in your own cities. It's like Merchants or Corporate Branches, except the means of production actually moves.

A MORE DETAILED RESOURCE SYSTEM. Specifically, let's go back to Colonization, where you manually decide production, and which product will go on which boat. There will be new improvements like "Rum Distillery," "Rum Factory," and "Fur Trader's Hut." Civ will finally have Tobacco.

AIs WITHIN YOUR OWN GOVERNMENT TO INTERACT WITH. For instance, if you have "French Fifth Republic" form of government, you have to conduct diplomacy with the premier ministre, Lionel Jospin. And maybe you can actually be beaten by him in a presidential election. And your people will riot, and you'll have to make concessions to them, or send in the army (who may or may not listen to you) to silence them!

ELIMINATE ICS's ADVANTAGES. Once and for all, there should be no advantage to spreading your population all over the earth, as opposed to keeping them confined to one city. Ireland should be a viable player.

REALISTIC POPULATION GROWTH. In the modern era, the world population (yes, in terms of the numbers written next to the cities) should double every 20 turns or so.

64 CIVS AT ONCE, AND 1000X1000 MAPS. Actually, the maps should be hex-based, and globe-shaped.

That's all I got. Comments? Additions?

Incidentally, before Civ3 came out, the two things I most wanted in Civ2 (besides a better AI) were Ethnicity (city's memory of who owned them) and Industrialization (a better simulation of which would still be cool...).

Miznia
    I hate oral!!

Your map size would take an hour between turns even in the Ancient Period!

My reaction to all the suggestions is that some are interesting, but Firaxis got so many basic things dead wrong in Civ III that they had better work on the BASICS first - such as a rational Diplomatic AI; sensible unit values; no Culture Flipping cities and vanishing garrisons, and assorted bugs.

After Firaxis gets Civ III right (no doubt they will charge us another $50) THEN they can work on new stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle
      After Firaxis gets Civ III right (no doubt they will charge us another $50) THEN they can work on new stuff.
      And some people wonder why there are complainers. Having a hard time figuring out the game too, eh?

After you understand this thread right, THEN you should be allowed to continue posting. But not before then.

/On Topic

I want the Atlantis Civ. UU is Tritons (the man fish, not the sub).

Natural Catastrophes. *Boom* I guess you shouldn't have built your capital near a mountain. Don't worry, you can develop the Archeology Tech. For every city you have had sunk under the waves or buried by volcanic ash you earn extra culture.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

And package it all in a tin box with a ticket that lets you get 100 free post counts at aployton.net!
        I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

How about a game that Sid actually works on?

Comment

Heck I'ld take Brian Reynolds!!!

But most importantly a spell checked Civilopedia!!
            Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; March 31, 2002, 23:52.
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

how about a 'better' but more complicated pathfinder alghoritm
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Civ4 will in DOS. That's a true gammer's OS.
                I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Seems that Sid has amde the game to be as much slower and harder as possible, and as much features as possible... so Sid lemme give you a few tips...

1. How about Speed settings?

Slow.
                  Really Slow.
                  Pathetically Slow.
                  MEGA Slow.
                  @#$%&* SLOW!!!

2. New maps (delete Tiny, Small and Normal, and make Huge, Giganticand and Humongous) also, the Sid made scenarios should the player with no resources on a small island and have all the AI on hugeislands with lots resources and luxuries...

3. AI players start with all traits and have 5 unique units with +5 to each stat.

4. No longer battles are randomized... AI wins each and every one, (what if the stone age warrior's axe hit the Modern armor's cannon and broke it?)

5. We don't have MP, so you could make an emulation - AI players would call you names, suddenly gang up on you for no particular reason, and say "You don't touch that city you ...................... or I'm gonna kick your .............. ass!!!"

6. How about more Strategic resources? You have Aluminium, why not have Wood, or Stone etc. ?

7. MORE CIVS!!! Canadians, Zimbabaweians, Ugandians, Ruandians, etc.. etc...

8. More TECHS!!! Fast food, Cable television, etc... etc...

9. MORE IMPROVEMENTS!!! Fast food restaurant, Shopping mall... etc... etc...

You should really pay attention to those, Sid!
                  I don't conquer -
                  I obliterate

Comment

Originally posted by TheDarkCavalier
                    Seems that Sid has amde the game to be as much slower and harder as possible, and as much features as possible... so Sid lemme give you a few tips...

1. How about Speed settings?

Slow.
                    Really Slow.
                    Pathetically Slow.
                    MEGA Slow.
                    @#$%&* SLOW!!!

2. New maps (delete Tiny, Small and Normal, and make Huge, Giganticand and Humongous) also, the Sid made scenarios should the player with no resources on a small island and have all the AI on hugeislands with lots resources and luxuries...

3. AI players start with all traits and have 5 unique units with +5 to each stat.

4. No longer battles are randomized... AI wins each and every one, (what if the stone age warrior's axe hit the Modern armor's cannon and broke it?)

5. We don't have MP, so you could make an emulation - AI players would call you names, suddenly gang up on you for no particular reason, and say "You don't touch that city you ...................... or I'm gonna kick your .............. ass!!!"

6. How about more Strategic resources? You have Aluminium, why not have Wood, or Stone etc. ?

7. MORE CIVS!!! Canadians, Zimbabaweians, Ugandians, Ruandians, etc.. etc...

8. More TECHS!!! Fast food, Cable television, etc... etc...

9. MORE IMPROVEMENTS!!! Fast food restaurant, Shopping mall... etc... etc...

You should really pay attention to those, Sid!

Sounds more like Civ3 IMHO.

Comment

Alright, I did some thinking overnight. Here are a few more. In general, I think these are better than my first batch:

ENHANCED CITY VIEW. It should be 3D, and you should be able to watch the traffic like in SimCity, and see what areas are not getting power. It should be like a game within a game.

MORE MARKETABLE CIVS. Besides “Canadians,” there should be a “Europeans” EU civ that starts out in Belgium, for the European audience (same culture group as French and Germans). “Cubans” headed by Castro will be popular. Also an “Arabs” civ headed by Muhammad with his face blurred out (to be respectful). (Oh: “mail anthrax to senator” espionage option.)

RELIGION (part 3). Occasionally, at random, a religious leader (Jesus, Zarathustra, Buddha, Oprah, etc) will appear and run around your empire, converting people and throwing your cities into civil disorder. But if you capture and crucify him, then your civ gets to run that religion.

ALIEN SPIES. Malevolent aliens will periodically place spies in your cities. You have to remember to click on your cities and check on them, from time to time, to make sure you don’t have any. If you see one, just click to get him.

ALTERNATIVE FUTURES (aka “movie tie-ins”). There should be a “SkyNet” small wonder that lets you build robot units, but then it gets out of control and becomes a big war of all the remaining civs vs. the robots. You have to capture an Arnold unit, invent time travel (or steal it), and go back in time to sabotage construction of SkyNet, and also protect your own mother.

ALTERNATIVE FUTURES (part 2). Now and then a big asteroid will be headed for earth (starting ~1500 AD on Deity). If nobody can build space ships by that time, humanity is destroyed. (It’s to punish the players for being lax on science prod.)

UNIT WORKSHOP. To deter casual gamers and multiply strategic options. It no longer has to be a TRIreme, it can just be a bireme.

MAGIC. It’s time for Civ to have magic, such as a Wizard unit, or else in the form of spells cast by the leader himself (think Black & White?). You need to build “Merlin’s Castle” small wonder, or something, to be able to use magic. Expires with Steam Engine.

SEXIEST CIV YET. All civ leaders should be attractive babes. (Use “Tokugawa’s Daughter” or “Lincoln’s Daughter” if necessary.) Add Korean, Hong Kong, and Taiwanese civs to up the “Asian factor.” German leader is still Hitler.

SEXIEST CIV YET (part 2). New government “Matriarchy” with topless Amazon units (see CTP2 files section). (er, actually is this a bad suggestion?)

AGRICULTURAL MICROMANAGEMENT. You get to take into account weather, precipitation, soil type, and crop type in order to maximize your food output and thus population growth. “Famine” disaster X 10. (Naturally, the automated governor, “AutoPlow,” will forget to rotate crops, so you will have to learn the system yourself.)

STUDENT PROTESTS. Universities have a side-effect in that now and then, rioting students will put the city into civil disorder for a turn or two. Effect doubled for city with Newton’s College.

“WOOD” STRATEGIC RESOURCE. In order to build improvements, you have to have trees (forest) somewhere in your territory, connected by road to your capital, or else import them through a Harbor. You have to keep deforesting to get the wood, and then replant the trees. (Automated workers may or may not be trustworthy.)

CIV-SPECIFIC WONDERS. Certain Wonders that only certain civs can build; e.g., Pyramids can only by built by Egyptians, Great Wall by China, Eiffel Tower by French... Adds strategy to civ-selection.
                      Last edited by Miznia; April 1, 2002, 17:21.
                      I hate oral!!

Comment

If you see one, just click to get him.
                        Attached Files
                        I hate oral!!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Miznia
                            RELIGION (part 3). Occasionally, at random, a religious leader (Jesus, Zarathustra, Buddha, Oprah, etc) will appear and run around your empire, converting people and throwing your cities into civil disorder. But if you capture and crucify him, then your civ gets to run that religion.

Comment

Are you getting all of this down Firaxis?

Comment

Working...
                              X