Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's preemptively guess bad suggestions for Civ4!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Miznia
    As soon you’ve met a victory condition, Civ4 suddenly closes.

Leaders are hideous claymation people (think “Gumby”), except that they’re all hot babes.

ZOC is still gone, and now you can “leap over” enemy units, too.

More ideas:

* Nuclear meltdowns can somtimes spawn a "The Hulk"-unit, a green warrior with ridiculous A/D and HP values.

* During the modern age, barbarians sometimes pop up in cities, but are instead called "King Kong", "Godzilla" or "Velociraptor".

* To get rid of the spearman beats tank discussions, all units in the game are called "generic attack unit 3", "generic defense unit 9" or "vessel mark 3".

* The animated leaders are now a game in the game. Instead of just the heads, they are whole persons. To make a deal, you have to fight the other leader (a la Mortal Combat) and the better you beat him, the better deal you get.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefu
      Wouldn't it be c00l if Civ4 was in real time?
      I can see it now...

I bought the product last year and I'm currently up to the year 3999BC. This game is really starting to get interesting. I've just managed to survey the site of my first city. This civ will really be kicking in about 5000 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Miznia
        MAGIC. It’s time for Civ to have magic, such as a Wizard unit, or else in the form of spells cast by the leader himself (think Black & White?). You need to build “Merlin’s Castle” small wonder, or something, to be able to use magic. Expires with Steam Engine.
        This was an hilarious suggestion. I can literally use in this instance.
        To add to this though.

- You would add the Great Wonder "Stonehenge" and it would double the mana production in that city.

- The English would also have the Druid Special Unit.
        - The Egyptians could have the Witch and Warlock Special Unit.
        - The Americans could have the Vampire Special Unit.
        - The Zulu could have the Voodoo Priest Special Unit.
        - The Greeks could have the Scientific Sceptic Special Unit.
        - The Romans could have the Religious Sceptic Special Unit.

I can see it all coming together now.

Comment

Civ Magic

Originally posted by Tormund

This was an hilarious suggestion. I can literally use in this instance.
          To add to this though.

- You would add the Great Wonder "Stonehenge" and it would double the mana production in that city.

- The English would also have the Druid Special Unit.
          - The Egyptians could have the Witch and Warlock Special Unit.
          - The Americans could have the Vampire Special Unit.
          - The Zulu could have the Voodoo Priest Special Unit.
          - The Greeks could have the Scientific Sceptic Special Unit.
          - The Romans could have the Religious Sceptic Special Unit.

I can see it all coming together now.
          This is terrific. Can we program this into Civ3?
          KATN

Comment

Wouldn't it be c00l if Civ4 was in real time?
            no... i hate real time strategy games

How about bringing back CTP space unit's + cities and water cities. What's more the FAR superior saving system in CTP. i ALWAYS loose my files with the Civ3 nonesence
            Last edited by SKILORD; April 4, 2002, 14:31.
            Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

You know, I was just thinking about one of the victory conditions I listed...

Wouldn't a "Pacifist Victory" actually be sort of cool? I like to play a game where I just let the world happen around me. Maybe it should be a victory option if you never declare war. And if someone declares war on you, you can't capture/raze any cities besides ones you've lost.

It could work like SMAC's Economic Victory: "Hammurabi is about to win a Pacifist Victory, unless he is obliterated before retirement (20 turns away)!!!"
              I hate oral!!

Comment

You mean you hadn't thought about your ideas before you posted them?

Doesn't that make them bad bad suggestions?
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Natural Wonders

A map could contain a number of Natural Wonders (maybe seven) that offer advantages much in the same way as the Great Wonders. The Natural Wonder just needs to fall within the boundaries of a city.

The Natural Wonder would have an economic benefit (tourism) and a happiness benefit (pride). As the world's population grows, the benefit (money and happiness) of having control of the Natural Wonder increases.

I don't see why this wouldn't work. It would also provide another objective.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefu
                    Civ 4 should track every citizen's ethnic origin, so we can deal with 60% Zulus-30% Americans-10%Romans!
                    I don't think that is such a bad suggestion. In fact, I might have been the first to suggest it. I'm one of the people who wants radical sweeping changes. Civ4 won't be much fun unless there are radical changes. You can't repackage the game forever.

BTW, the Wouldn't It Be Cool brigade is really annoying

Anyway, to go along with this thread...
                    Keep the warrior hammering your score from civ3. As well as the tower of Babel Theme.
                    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Survivor Civilization

The next version should be called "Survivor Civilization".

It should have a vote say every 100 turns to vote off a civ. The civ with the most votes against it is eliminated and the spoils are divided up among the remaining civs.

It should have a different goal between each vote in which a civ gains 'immunity' from the vote. Say you have to build The Great Wall Wonder OR you have to defeat the most barbarian units when hordes of them start to roam the land OR you have to be the one holding the city which controls the 'special' tile.

It should have the ability to sell/trade your vote to another civ.

It should have the ability to steal a civ's vote and make it your own through espionage. ie Replacing their delegate to the vote with a clone that has been programmed with your instructions.

I can see this all coming together now. I just hope there wont be any copyright issues.

Comment

Great idea, Tormund!

The AI players would of course always vote out the strongest civ, which (unless you have the 'immunity') usually means that the crappiest civ wins in the end. This changes OCC from a difficult challenge into a sound strategy, while the hardcore players would try the difficult ICS (or REX) strategy and fail on Chieftain!

Comment

The AI players would of course always vote out the strongest civ, which (unless you have the 'immunity') usually means that the crappiest civ wins in the end.
                          I programmed a little Java program that tried to combine Survivor and (minimalized) Diplomacy. A player could only vote for a player that they shared a border with. If you voted for someone who voted for you, the vote count for you was decreased by 1/2. Ties were broken randomly (only one loser per round permitted). If you lost on a given round, you were dead, and your territory was divided among those who attacked you. Many games were played (since a "game" is pretty short).

Maybe dumb. But I only programmed the computer to play against itself. Saves me from having to write an interface
                          I hate oral!!

Comment

Oh, another one:

Sid,

3 ****ING VERSIONS OF THE GAME AND YOU STILL HAVEN'T ADDED THE HOVERCRAFT UNIT? DON'T YOU REALIZE HOW ****ING UNREALISTIC THE GAME IS WITHOUT IT? FIRAXIS DOESN'T KNOW **** ABOUT HISTORICAL ACCURACY!
                            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Good Grief! It's hard to tell where the griping ends and the sarcastic suggestions begin. Furthermore, it seems like some people are actually giving genuine suggestions or advice.

Some of you seem like the real hardcore players... you'll only be happy if civilization is stripped down to the point where it features two monochrome paddles batting a little 4-bit "ball" on a black background.

But I'll play the game too.

Bad Suggestions:

Weather... there's a storm hovering over Berlin for the five centuries in the BCs!

Elections for Democracy.

Leader-controlled armies. (the AI's dumb enough)

Natural disasters... realistic, or just irritating?

Some genuine suggestions:

Expanded ECONOMIC WARFARE - No, not Corporate Branches. This is with regards to the resources. Some units and improvements would function ONLY when a civilization has access to a given resource. I.E. Destroying access to oil will leave all tanks, ships, etc. leaves them with 1/2 the number of hit points.
                              Improvements like factories and manufacturing plants would also stop giving production bonuses.

My REASON: I find chucking units at cities until they fall tedious.

REVOLUTIONS - make some sort of modifier for anarchy period. i.e. going from republic to democracy takes less turns than communism to monarchy. Seriously... that wait is just a pain in the ass in Civ3!

Improved DIPLOMACY - Congresses... i.e. multiple civilizations negotiating at the same sitting. Purpose? To end wars involving 3+ civilizations. It also allows for a sort of Bismarckian means of maintaining supremacy.

Ok, this is more of a thing NOT to change... leave all of that futuristic and environmental crap from the Call to Power series out.
                              Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889).

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

Comment

Originally posted by Dienstag
                                bad suggestions:

* more frequent reminders about building aquaducts/hospitals.

* I want more respectable advisors, like Pauly Shore, Jar Jar Binks, and a Chia Pet.
                                LMFAO!

How about Carrot Top for Domestic Advisor?
                                "The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796

Comment

Working...
                                X