Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If real life were Civ3, who'd have the highest end score?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big & old! plus other stuff too.

Good points all!

We've brought up some great stuff here, but to return to the original question (and since we cannot predict the future), we will have to go with a retirement at this time (2002).

what is the Civ 3 scoring system?
    Well, China big and China old.

Do I wish it factored in more than that?
    Of course.

But it doesn't! So while it may be repetitive or "unintelligent", it is the key argument. According to Civ 3 scores, that's what counts.
    Further, "Western" civ as a whole is not included.

But back to more interesting discussion,

As for the Greek Hellenistic culture reigning supreme at its time, I think not. We just have better records of its existence. It held considerable sway over mideast, north africa, balkan & mediterranean europe. that is not remotely the world.

You've still left out northern central europe, north america, south america, southcentral africa, asia, 'russia', oceania...Just because our current knowledge has fewer records of the civilizations of the time, did not mean those civs were non-existent. They might have been, but not necessarily. we only know that we do not have as detailed records as we do for mesopotamia and the mediterranean civs.

And some records do exist. We are simply not aware of them because we as westerners do not care (*in general, of course there are exceptions). But you can find it. Read some Indian history of the time. Read some Chinese history of the time. Harder to find but it exists. Btw, Alexander & Hellenism was stopped cold by India.

The reason we bank so much on euro-mideast civs is because western heritage derives itself from this. We call the Tigris and Euphrates the cradle of Civ because that is the immediate predecessor to Judaism (thus Christianity and Islam) and palestine is the crossroads of three continents. thus the mingling of Greek classicism with Roman and Semitic culture. Throw in Egypt too, but they're less influential (unless you buy into Alan Moore's "From Hell" Freemasons). We go from this to a regression in the feudal age but a restoration in the renaissance and expansion from there to the rise of the nation-state* . Then we can trace the path from Renaissance Italy to France and England. (Or better yet, from the Irish to the English). Then from the British Empire to NA (current US & Can), and nominally to Africa & India (see earlier long post), plus Australia. We can add that English society meddled alot in continental affairs, incl. a driving power in WW1&2. It is a bit of a leap to say England was the new Rome. It was substantially different and much of our current western civ was developed there and cannot be traced to Rome or Greece. (Rationalism & Enlightenment is oft attrib'd to France, but France's Voltaire got it from England.) Add in Industrial Rev. Bam! I can see how persuasive it is.

((*Nation State. Feudal society was not "national" and territories and people were often "traded"). The nation-state is the requirement for a civilization entity. Greece had it. Egypt had it. Rome had it. Byzantium had it. Medieval Europe generally did not. Holy Roman Empire did not. Germanic states did not (we see them as highly nationalistic now, but before unification they saw themselves as primarily Bavarian, or Prussian, or Hessian, not German). France acquired it during the time of Jean D'arc. England acquired it after Norman invasion, or a little later. Italy certainly did not until Garibaldi. ))

For the Greek argument to work, you may as well say Minoan culture wins because on Crete it was supreme for a while. Every civ is supreme in its local area. None is globally dominant (yet), and none really outweighs any of the others.

Let me restate my point, you can make plenty of arguments for the contributions of Rome, Greece, and England to the "world", but what you are really referring to is the Western world (which is only 1/3 of the global pop, and even less if we track back through time. let me also add that military-political-economic dominance does not equate to civilizational dominance. you must factor in culture. Also note that most colonies & treaty ports were ruled like the khanate. overlordship but local administration & customs. import culture for the foreign nationals who must be there, not for the local masses.)

Yes, Rome, Greece, and England dominate the western world, but only the western world. Not the whole world. And not even for "most" of history. just most of the history we are taught in schools (because that's our focus, and our historians write about our civ, not others. you must take into account this bias if you want to be balanced.) We do not acknowledge the specifics of other civs because we don't know them! We can only aggregate them. If we took the time to study, and did the research, and learned the non-Romance languages (many not even phonetic*), we may come to appreciate the way in which Sinic (or other) culture affect the lives of non-western world. It still will not mean as much to us because we do not live or think in those ways, but we may see how deep and broad it reaches into daily life, just like how the Western Civ does with us.

((*That brings up another point. While phonetic languages are technically superior due to abstraction, they have not been fully adopted by everyone yet! (it's the same argument for metric SI being superior to Imperial, but US economy is huge and inertia to change is only beginning to shift now.)))

So, again another long post. hopefully this makes more sense now. you've all brought up some great points that made me think longer and harder about it. I have no problem changing my mind, but my argument was too robust for me to deflate. it survived. I'm sticking with my vote. For either the Civ 3 reason, or the "can't lump all as Western Civ and even if you could it is arguably not superior to Sinic Civ" reason.

Or the fact that Canada will conquer the world before 2050! Just you wait! You think we're all nice and friendly, but that's just Chretien garbling his words again. You think he's saying "I hereby dedicate this new arena to the gold medal winning Canadian Olympic hockey team." Really, he's saying "All your base are belong to us!"
    Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
    Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
    Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
    Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

• So many things to say, so much risk of spam if I say them all...

Anybody mind if I point out a problem with the *Old, Big* arguement in strictly Civ3 terms? OK thanks for not complaining before I hit the submit button...

The problem is that the scores for the original Chinese (Han) civ and the original Indian (Gupta?) civ stopped the moment the Monguls conquered China and India.

Kublai did in the original succession of Chinese dynasties in... let's see here... about 1279 by the final conquest of the Sung Empire. Varous Mogul rulers completed the conquest of India during the 14th century (it was a much longer, drawn out affair than had been the case in China).

BTW, the world was not without a direct successor to the political power of Rome until 1921. I can go more into it later if you wish.

My biggest observastion is in line with the Captain's statements about how we are more focused on where ever we are from. I agree with him wholeheartedly, to a point.

Most people in the West are largely unaware of the subtleties of Asian history. Therefore to many of us, China looks like one big monolithic civ, when in fact is was not.

In the same vein, we are all to well aware of the funny short guys running around in togas with red strips on their heads. When those guys are no longer running around, their civ must also be gone. This is where I diverge from the Captain.

The more one learns about European history, the more one will become aware of the continuity from the Greco-Roman world down through the centuries to this very date. Thus, while it may seem absurd for someone to be sitting here with a Legionaire as an Avatar proclaiming the dominance of Rome, it might not be entirely absurd after all. I believe the argument that the Roman civ survived the departure of Caesars from Rome is an entirely viable one. Please indulge me as I continue to explore it.

Salve
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
        The problem is that the scores for the original Chinese (Han) civ and the original Indian (Gupta?) civ
        IIRC, the "first" Indus Valley Civ was settled by the Aryans. (Not the same blond-haired blue eyed constructs that Hitler envisioned. Interesting, isn't it?)

stopped the moment the Monguls conquered China and India.

Kublai did in the original succession of Chinese dynasties in... let's see here... about 1279 by the final conquest of the Sung Empire. Varous Mogul rulers completed the conquest of India during the 14th century (it was a much longer, drawn out affair than had been the case in China).

BTW, the world was not without a direct successor to the political power of Rome until 1921. I can go more into it later if you wish.

Salve
        hmmm. we can't have it both ways. if you consider China to have ceased as a civ under Mongol conquest, then how can you consider Rome to have continued after the disintegration of the empire?

(I assume you speak of western rome, not Byzantium, which stood for a while longer but was much more Hellenized. In fact, it was almost Asian style in the Imperial Court.)

If you can make an argument for Roman civilization (as an entity*) surviving to this day and age, then perhaps you would agree that the argument is easier to make for China (whose political & military control passed to the Mongols, but whose cultural and societal norms were unchanged. Note, it wasn't that quick either. South China held out for a while.) Except for people who lived in Rome, no one identified themselves as primarily Roman (not the Germanic tribes, not the Magyars, not the Slavs, not the Brit-Germanic tribes, not the Vandals, the Muslims, the Arabs... none of the former Roman holdings continued to consider themselves Roman. The Byzantines barely even referred to themselves as Roman.) They may have been influenced by Rome, but the founders of the Renaissance were still Florentine, Venetian, Milanese, not Roman (except Rome but those were Papal states). The English certainly do not consider themselves the same as the Romans.

But, the Chinese always have considered themselves Chinese. They "see" themselves as inherently Chinese (ethnic homogeneity is a part of that but culturally, assimilation did occur).

(*I use the word entity alot. Hard to define but offhand it's a "significant" and cohesive demographic group that identifies itself primarily as the same civilization throughout generations, and maintains its culture and societal structure. )

Nothing's perfect, but China fits that better than Rome.

But keep posting, I like reading what you're writing. you make a strong case. but again, it comes back to applying only to western civ.
        the rest of you too! you've got some great arguments.

all right, time for sleep. see you all later.

P.S. Should I call you notyoueither or Salve? is Salve your name or just a sig ref?

one last thing, if China had not historically considered the rest of the world not worth bothering about, we might be more aware of Sinic culture. In fact, I guarantee more and more you will be IF the influx of mainlander immigrants increases. (right now, not so much since many of the Chinese you probably know are second-gen Western raised. they're very different from the mainlanders.)
        Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
        Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

• IM AM OUTRAGED AT THE EXCLUSION OF INDIA FROM THIS POLL!!!!!!!!! India wins hands down from culture. The Hindu religion is one of the oldest in the world. Bhuddism, Sikhism, Jainism, and other eastern religions are merely offshoots of Hinduism. Sanskrit is probably one of the oldest languages in the world also. Indian civilization was their LONG before Chinese civilization.

Comment

• Originally posted by jadlakha
            IM AM OUTRAGED AT THE EXCLUSION OF INDIA FROM THIS POLL!!!!!!!!! India wins hands down from culture. The Hindu religion is one of the oldest in the world. Bhuddism, Sikhism, Jainism, and other eastern religions are merely offshoots of Hinduism. Sanskrit is probably one of the oldest languages in the world also. Indian civilization was their LONG before Chinese civilization.
            good points. if you read my super long first post (I don't blame you if you didn't, it's loooong), you'll see I put India as a close second to China (as well as my reasoning).

But put me in my place! Tell me more about India. I am always interested in learning more.

Comment

• Well, it's final. They're singing 'Oh Canada' on 'The West Wing.' Our reverse infiltration of American culture is nearly complete.

I guess we're winning.

China next.

Captain: It's NYE. Salve is a statement. Pronounced *salway.* It's a funny spin on classical Latin. It's odd (my usage) but so am I. Be well.

I agree with you re the double standard. I was trying to highlight how most are discounting the lack of continuity in those who rule the geographical areas of China and India, but are all to aware of the political evolution of Europe.

I'll argue that Roman (and Greek) culture absorbed all conquerors (Germans), just as others have said that China absorbed the Monguls. BTW. Western Europe withstood the Monguls. Not many did. Rome won that one.

Ninot: I am seperated from perfection by about 1500 miles. I'm on the Prairies. Haven't made it to Montreal yet, but I intend to.

Salve
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Re: big & old! plus other stuff too.

Originally posted by Captain
                Or the fact that Canada will conquer the world before 2050! Just you wait!
                I just knew there was something sinister about the strong beer, polite friendly people, and strange ice sports played with granite accessories.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

This despite the fact English is primarly a Germanic language?

English is a somewhat strange language in that it was first entirely Germanic after the Anglos and Saxons invaded. They never adopted latin. But later on when William the Conqueror led in a French speaking Germanic tribe they became the new elite. Eventually the two languages merged. That doesn't happen very often in history.

English is not a Romance language...
                  Whose alphabet are we using? BTW, I count at least 7 words in your post that are imports from Latin (easily recognized). There are more that I cannot spot easily.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm fairly WASPish in my upbringing, but English would be a language more suited to calling pigs were it not for the French (Romance), Greek and Latin influence. Add to that the current political system in Britain dates from the conquest of England by the Normans (French not German, there's a big difference). Add to that many Britons have and do run around trying to be as *classical* as they can be. I'll argue that the Romanisation of Britain is fairly complete.

Salve
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain

good points. if you read my super long first post (I don't blame you if you didn't, it's loooong), you'll see I put India as a close second to China (as well as my reasoning).

But put me in my place! Tell me more about India. I am always interested in learning more.
                    Well I posted this before I bothered reading any of the other posts, and I do agree with your long post(which to compliment you is probably the best post in this discussion).

I guess to add more to my original post, Alot of the Eastern languages came from Sanskrit also, Such as Arabic, and Hindi, as well as the 16 or so other official languages of India. Well I guess the fact that India has so many languages can damage its argument in score cause it can be used to weaken the culture argument for India, but India does have a surprisingly diverse culture.

Another argument for India is the fact that arguably the oldest language in the world, Sanskrit, is still around today, and the original Hindu texts are studied in the original language.

The Hindu texts and the religion of Hinduism have survived the test of time, and most of it has remained largely unchanged. This is unlike Christianity which has changed much over the years. Many Christain denominations today have only been around for a few hundred years at most.

Also I stand by my argument that India is the oldest civilization in the world(thats still around and successful today), Theyve been around much longer then the Chinese according to my sources, but of course they could be wrong.

Arguments on cultural influence, Transcendentalism most likely came out of Hinduism. Marthin Luther King's civil right movement and Nelson Mandela's anti-apartheid movements were both inspired by Gandhi, and Gandhi did what he did because of the Hinduistic beliefs, and Hinduism has been around along time. While people may think that the culture of India doesnt have much Influence on the world, much of the concepts of nonviolence and civil disobedience come out of Hinduism.

India also produces the most movies per a year then any other country. They have their own version of Hollywood called Bollywood. Well again this probably hurts my argument cause Bollywood was a rip off of Hollywood, and also those Indian movies are basically quantity over quality, they are all terrible. But I live in Houston, TX and their are several Indian movie theatres around here.

Anyways I guess looking at all the arguments, India is a close contender, however I dont think they are the hands down winner like I originally said. But I guess I am going to stick with India as a winner in my mind because I am Indian and biased, and it makes me feel better in my mind .

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain
                      IIRC, the "first" Indus Valley Civ was settled by the Aryans. (Not the same blond-haired blue eyed constructs that Hitler envisioned. Interesting, isn't it?)
                      What's fascinating is that these Aryans and the German tribes are likely of the same stock but divergent by about 4000 years. Makes certain 20th century theories of races seem fairly absurd.

BTW. They (the Aryans) displaced the first culture. Harappan. The fuzion of these 2 cultures gave rise to the Vedic civ under which Hindu culture evolved. Like I said, Asian cultures are more than monolithic entities that sprang from scratch into their present forms.

Salve
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

• Jadlakha, I regret omitting India.

I can't get "quote" to work for some reason, but you said Arabic came from Sanskrit, which I don't think is true. Sanskrit is Indo-European, and Arabic, I believe, is Afro-Asian and Semitic, like Hebrew and Ancient Egyptian, I believe.

What direct successor to the Romans comes in 1921? What on earth happens then?!

Miznia
                        I hate oral!!

Comment

• Ninot: I am seperated from perfection by about 1500 miles. I'm on the Prairies. Haven't made it to Montreal yet, but I intend to.

Ahh. Yeah, im at perfection...save me
                          Heh, j/k.. Woo Montreal! Stanley Cup in 2007!!! (I'm realistic...)

As for the thread, bravissimo! Its been quite a wonderful read since yesterday.

My own knowledge of Rome isn't extensive enough for me to understand the "Rome untill 1922" claim. Someone explain it please? Holy Roman Empire? Whats the deal?

But Notyoueither brought out a point i made early on. China was defeated by the mongols in the 13th century. Now, I myself I would declare the Roman Empire to be either deceased at 500 a.d. (the end of the true empire, no denying it... East Rome was far more of an Arabic state... still under Roman rule tho). OR, if you wanna stretch it, say when the Turks finnally beat the Byzantines. But even then, like as I said, Byzantine was slightly swamped by arabic culture. But, if you wanna argue the other side, Istanbul is, (well, ignoring Israeli cities) hands down, the most western of the Arabic cities of the world. So, i donno, thats for another thread, possibly asking "When did Rome die?"

So, going on the point Notyoueither made recently, China's score stopped adding up in the 13th century. If you ask me, Rome's score stopped adding up in the 5th century. So, sure, China has got some points for it that way. But, the score stopped adding up in the 13th century ultimately. It doesnt matter if Chinese culture survived, all of its cities were captured at a certain point (even if Genghis Khan couldnt capture the south, Kublai did).

And, well, what Captain proposed, setting 2002 as a retirement date, well that just seems worse than claiming Buddism is a credit to India. A game of civ3 never ends in 2002 unless someone gets one of the 5 winning conditions. And, ultimately, this thread is about who would win a game of civ 3, not a modified, shortended version of civ3.

So, this is what I propose. Kick culture out the window, cuz we could argue till the cows come home about whos religion is better, and so forth. But, like was said before, can we TRULY prove that any one culture is, or was at one time, twice as good as the culture of any other civ? I don't truly think so. We don't exactly have a true universal measure for culture after all.
                          And, of course, everyone is biased about something so subjective as culture, so its not as clear cut as anything.

I also propose we say China was conquered in 13th century AD, and Rome was conquered in 5th century AD. For China, its undeniable that the mongols swamped them. As for Rome, (*although i love my Rome*), it basically became two different nations at the division of East and West, and the west was undeniably swamped by the German barbarians in the 5th century. No matter if the Germans became slightly assimilated by Roman culture afterwards, Rome was conquered, point finale.

I hope this thread has made some people happy, I also wonder if we could find a true winner if we deny culture? is it possible?

Well, here is my final say. Canada by conqest in 2043
                          under the leadership of an OLD Stockwell Day
                          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rimpy
                            There are no events in Civ3 that parallels, for example, North America breaking away from England/France, or South America from Spain/Portugal.

However, I'm happy that Civ3 doesn't model these real world events, as that would make for some pretty sucky games. Imagine city flipping and multiple the frustration by ten. Can you imagine if you were playing on a real world map, and you occupied the British Isles and North America, and then North America revolted and formed a new Civ that was no longer under your control? That wouldn't be very fun, although it'd be realistic.
                            Sorry if this has been said before, but how about the MoO3 solution to this problem: If a civilization splits, you can choose which of the pieces to continue playing as and which side to let go.
                            "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

• Originally posted by Miznia
                              Jadlakha, I regret omitting India.

I can't get "quote" to work for some reason, but you said Arabic came from Sanskrit, which I don't think is true. Sanskrit is Indo-European, and Arabic, I believe, is Afro-Asian and Semitic, like Hebrew and Ancient Egyptian, I believe.

What direct successor to the Romans comes in 1921? What on earth happens then?!

Miznia
                              I guess I stand corrected on the Arabic language. I do think however Sanskrit and other languages of the region did have some influence on some of Arabic. But in its place I guess Ill add that Urdu came from Sanskrit.

Comment

• Question

Being an old guy - it seems like the pink area on the Cadbury company maps of the British Empire (upon which the sun never set ) we had in our school rooms in the 50's might have covered 2/3 of the world. (Canada, India, Australia, large parts of Africa, etc.)

Therefore a victory for the British. (With bonus points for creating the "White House" after it was whitewashed to cover the damage when it was shelled)

The U.S. might claim cultural victory based on Coke and the size of the audience for the Oscars - although I think the World Cup and maybe even the U.S. Canada Olympic final just might have beaten that.

China for the 'usual reasons' above.

I can make no claims for Thailand (Siam).
                                Many are cold, but few are frozen.No more durrian, please. On On!

Comment

Working...
                                X