Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If real life were Civ3, who'd have the highest end score?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If real life were Civ3, who'd have the highest end score?

Just for fun...

I vote Chinese, just because they're so big and so old. I suspect 2nd place wouldn't be very close at all.

Miznia
    Egyptians
    2.70%
    Romans
    8.11%
    British
    16.22%
    French
    2.03%
    Germans
    2.70%
    Russians
    4.73%
    Americans
    20.27%
    Chinese
    33.11%
    Tupi-Guarani
    0.00%
    an obvious but missing choice
    10.14%
    I hate oral!!

Top end score?!? Is the game over yet?

Comment

Chinese obviously. Land mass is the most important consideration for score in civ 3.
      I like CIV 3's corruption, combat system, cultural assimilation and AI.

Comment

Who the hell voted for the americans?!?! The've been here for only 225 years!! How can they possibly win? Pick England and I would agree. Americans aren't even an original civ! They should'nt be in Civ3. You can't have England AND America! Then what about Canada, Brazil, Mexicains and so on?! Spain, turqs and Portuguese should be there before the Americans.

IMHO

Spec.
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

China seems the most obvious choice, all of the other Civs either had too late a start or an early demise. India should have been on the list though, they would have been the next closest in terms of land held throughout the ages and population. And how can a poll exist without bananas?

Comment

Originally posted by Zouave
            Chinese obviously. Land mass is the most important consideration for score in civ 3.
            Then russia should have won then...well...until 7 years ago that is!
            -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Jinif: Er, yeah. I should've specified that the present moment should be considered the end.

I didn't think of adding the Indians, actually... I did consider adding "Arabs," which I think would be a half-way decent choice, but their absence from Civ3 prevented me.

On the other hand, I did include Tupi-Guarani... They have bananas, don't they?
              I hate oral!!

Comment

This is a tough poll to answer because Civ3 doesn't model real world civilizations very well. One thing that Civ3 lacks is colonies breaking away from the colonizer. There are no events in Civ3 that parallels, for example, North America breaking away from England/France, or South America from Spain/Portugal.

However, I'm happy that Civ3 doesn't model these real world events, as that would make for some pretty sucky games. Imagine city flipping and multiple the frustration by ten. Can you imagine if you were playing on a real world map, and you occupied the British Isles and North America, and then North America revolted and formed a new Civ that was no longer under your control? That wouldn't be very fun, although it'd be realistic.

Anyway, as far as the poll, if we're only talking about single countries and not factoring in colonies, then China would probably top the list due to its land area and longevity. On the other hand, if you includ colonies and former vassals as part of the parent Civ, then I don't think that China would top the list.

If you include colonies as part of the parent Civ, the top two would be England and Spain. And you could argue that England and Spain are descendants of the Roman civilization, meaning that Rome is the undisputed champion of Civs. No other Civ comes close as far as cultural, scientific, and political impact on the history of the world.

Rimpy

Comment

"Tupi-Guarani"

Who?

Comment

would Britian hang if it knew the game was about to end 25 or so turns from 1910? for population, culure, miltary, science, Britain pre WW1 takes some beating!!..but i am biased

Comment

culture in civ3 is too much depended on age. So, a city that is only 1000 years old can never compare to a city 4000 years old culturally. British culture is very young compare to Chinese, so China would have much higher cultural rating, probably the highest. For military might, it is not an important factor in Civ3. Land mass matters though, so, pre-WWI UK would be very high on the list, not sure if it will top the list though.
                      ==========================
                      www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

Russia anyone?

It's still big, well... China... but still, talk about Russian military power ... BTW Chinese cities would have the "owercrowded" disorder ...
                        I don't conquer -
                        I obliterate

Comment

Originally posted by Spectator
                          Who the hell voted for the americans?!?! The've been here for only 225 years!! How can they possibly win? Pick England and I would agree. Americans aren't even an original civ! They should'nt be in Civ3. You can't have England AND America! Then what about Canada, Brazil, Mexicains and so on?! Spain, turqs and Portuguese should be there before the Americans.

IMHO

Spec.
                          How is England any more original than the US? It's been around for 1500 years at the very most, and it would be easy to argue that "England" in its present form is 400 years old.

Originally posted by Spectator

Then russia should have won then...well...until 7 years ago that is!
                          Are you saying they aren't the largest nation in the world by land mass anymore? Because, if so, you're wrong.

And if you're refering to the breakup of the Soviet Union, the date's off by 50%.

Comment

it depends, the Iriquois, representing all of the native american tribes, held control over the north american continent for some 37 thousand years, and since territory, and score averaged by turns are important, they would have won, but their civilization is more or less defunct in civ3 terms.

The US built the UN, but its kinda worthless, what with all the pop ups every turn voting for a secretary general, Culture of course is averaged by turn, so no one will ever win this way.

We could of course Launch to AC, but that will take atleast several more turns of fighting against the tech cap to discover how to build the ship, and 2050 retirement could come first.

Military conquest may also be valid, but only if they had included an allied victory option from smax, seeing as how there is not an allied victory option, we can not count on our European allies to Push our territory average up to 66%, but then again it is averaged by turns, so that probably wont be possible.

Seems no one will win, atleast until 2050

Comment

China is an old culture that survived the ages. They have a lot of land, the biggest population, a large economy, and a powerful military. (That Great Wall has a lot more culture points than the Hoover Damn.)

A lot of people say America is too young to be in the game. I think this is a good point, but would the game be as fun without the US. I bet a lot of the anti-America crowd loves beating the Americans. I would like to see some of European complainers pick up a history book, because a lot of their Civs are closer in age to the US than the original civs.

Comment

Working...
                              X