Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If real life were Civ3, who'd have the highest end score?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe Whoha is the only one who pointed out that the US built the UN wonder, and thus won the game.

China = second ran.
    USA a winner is you!
    Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Ironikinit
      I can't believe Whoha is the only one who pointed out that the US built the UN wonder, and thus won the game.

China = second ran.
      USA a winner is you! [/QUOTE

The building has been built, but where are the votes?

Comment

The Gods are playing us off each other, the game really does end in 2050. They do this for entertainment, when a particular civ wins the god who set it up receives accolades among his fellows.

Comment

I voted Romans, perhaps cuz of ignorance in the direction of the Chinese, but this is how i explain myself...

Romans win, by cultural victory, by the year... oh, lets say 500 AD

Here's my explanation

All western life can reflect back to Roman culture. From its roughly 1000 years of life (2000 if ya count Byzantine empire), it has truly been rememberd throughout the ages.

It has been a civilization immortilized by its structures (Colliseum, Hadrians Tomb, the Aqueducts, whole lot of other structures, and the architectural types it has left (columns, domes, arches, whatever). It has been immortilized by Shakespeare as well.. a man from England, a 1000 years after the fall of Rome. And, you can still go to a bookstore and hope to find one of numerous books written by Julius Caesar.

Now, sure, China has been around just as long and survived to tell its story, but its culture can't be said to have affected as many OTHER nations as the culture of Rome has.

And, well, Egypt left around the Pyramids and such, but can it be truly said that their culture has stood the test of time? nahhhh

I dunno, call me Caligula, but Roman culture just seems so overpowering, i can't see this any other way. I probly have some more points, but ive lost them from typing.
          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Nah, roman cultural achievement are insignificant compare to China. Or even Japan or India. Modern nations such as Germany and England does not trace their roots back to Roman. They are from different tribe of people.
            ==========================
            www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

Cool thread idea Miznia.

In real life terms, I can only narrow it down to four picks:

1. China
              2. Rome
              3. Britain
              4. USA

China: Has probably been the world leader for most of human history. In a way the past 500 years are just an aberration from thousands of years of Chinese pre-eminance. However, although China has long periods of brilliance, they are all mixed with long periods of chaos and destruction. In Civ3 terms, destroying all their cultural buildings during the Cultural Revolution had to hurt.

Rome: Creating a long period of peace is what its all about! Fantastic legal innovations. Also, Rome was non-racist - anyone could become a Roman.

Britain: Birthplace of the Industrial Revolution, the second biggest thing to happen to humanity. For a hundred years or so Britain was a unique kind of power, with no other like it. Huge navy, territory all over the globe, informal control of most of the non-Western world, and financial masters.

USA: For a short period was producing about as much as the rest of the world combined. The US navy controls the oceans in a way even the British didn't. The only big power left ... for a while. Also, American popular culture is all conquering! Or at least it was...

In normal terms it is hard to decide.

In Civ3 terms it is easy, China all the way. They were game leaders for way too long ... Roman, British, and American periods of dominance are pretty short in comparison. In order I would put them (in Civ3 terms):

1. China
              2. Britain
              3. Rome
              4. USA

Just how I see it of course.
              Good = Love, Love = Good
              Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Comment

Nah, roman cultural achievement are insignificant compare to China. Or even Japan or India. Modern nations such as Germany and England does not trace their roots back to Roman. They are from different tribe of people.
                Well, just, firstly... to knock out the Chinese, they were completely overun by the Mongols in the 13th century, and the Mongols did not adopt Chinese culture (other than Kublai' Khan's lust for religion). Now, take that as China losing due to conquest, or just evidence that Chinese culture isn't what you claim it to be.

And, no offence, but i have no clue what to make of your argument. A cultural victory doesnt mean that civ is the father of all civs to come after it. It just means, as the game says, the civ will be rememberd and revered for the rest of time. Score one for Rome. (now really, would China be rememberd, if it weren't around?)

Now, the Barbaric Germans only truly became culturful after overrunning the Romans. Germans became Christians, as only the Romans were before them (hey, Nero may have persecutted Christians early on, but by the end, Rome was Christian all the way). Theres a lot of info on this (Roman culture among early germans) but i only had time to research China tonight....

And, as for England, well, first off, good ole Brittania, for the exception of the welsch and such, was a Roman colony. Roman ruins can still be found in London. And, as i stated before, as cultural victory means "to be remembered and revered", Shakespeare wrote of the Romans, and he is, dare i say, the biggest cultural influence the English have ever had? (he DOES have a civ3 great wonder named after him......)

As for nations like Japan, India, or China, they do have some great culture going for them, no doubt about it. But serious Chinese influences, like Confucious, is no older than the Republic or Rome. India has hindu culture going for it, but once again, Hinduism hasn't spread very far from India's borders. And, well, Japan's history doesnt truly predate Roman history, and there are serious arguments from the Koreans, and then possibly from the Chinese, that Japan is just an extension of their own asian culture.

Just to throw something in... the Sanitation tech in Rome? Well, it WAS the only city known to have a population of more than a million people consistently, up untill the industrial age hit Europe and America.

Anyways, my bottom line argument for tonight is that, while India, Japan, China, whoever, they all have their nice cultures, but they hardly leave their borders. They're not exactly winning any cultural battles. Rome, on the other hand, could be said to have had an influence on all Christian populated nations, and then some. Just looking at our modern world, Rome can be seen to have influenced the United States, to the Middle East, and just about all in between.

Oh, and if anyone's gonna give me a beef on the Christian bit, just look at it this way. Up untill Lutheranism (an maybe some more, not sure....) Church service was delivered in LATIN... the language of the ROMANS.

Yours, most peacefully
                Ninot

Comment

*an obvious but missing choice*

Panama!!!! But of course. The preeminent Banana-Republic!

Dey got Bananas! Dey win, barely edging out Rome of course.

Salve
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

GASP! Egads! I forgot the bananas, what a fool am I!

Of course, it must be Panama. Or wait, better yet, Jamaica man! Smoka da gonje(sp?), and maika like da Jar Jar Binx! (ughhhh)

Comment

If based on highest score, the winner would easily and quite convincingly be China.
                      Score in Civ 3 is based mainly on control of land, and culture.
                      China is one of, if not the oldest culture in the world, so cultural score would be high. They also control a very large area of land, and have for thousands of years.

While America has a large area of land, its only had that land for 400 years, give or take. Before that, nothing.
                      Romans had a large empire for a while. But they didn't hold onto large areas of land for as long as China has.
                      Same again with English.
                      The only other possible contender would be Russia, who have a large area of land, and have held it for quite some time. But I don't think it would be enough to beat China.

If you based it on who won the game, however, valid arguements could be made for many, many different countries, for many different victory types.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I guess China has the highest score, but ...

I think no civ has achieved either domination (80% landmass), nor conquest. Spaceship is way off. Single city culture unlikely because most wonders of the world are in different citeies. Normal culure victory I guess not, but might be the case.

Nobody might actually have already won, except given the UN, but who was the first secretary general?

According to google it was

TRYGVE HALVDAN LIE (NORWAY)
                        First United Nations Secretary-General

i.e. Norway won !!!

Comment

The subtle grasp of history shown by some posters never fails to amaze me!
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectator
                            Who the hell voted for the americans?!?! The've been here for only 225 years!! How can they possibly win? Pick England and I would agree. Americans aren't even an original civ! They should'nt be in Civ3. You can't have England AND America! Then what about Canada, Brazil, Mexicains and so on?! Spain, turqs and Portuguese should be there before the Americans.

IMHO

Spec.
                            England would be the bottom choice for me, while America will rank pretty high

But for this poll I voted on the Chinese, but my top four would be like this:

1. China
                            2. Egyp
                            3. Rome
                            4. America
                            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                              1. China
                              2. Egyp
                              3. Rome
                              4. America
                              Although Egypt is a very old civ, it is also a very small civ. Thus its cumulative score will also be quite small. Much smaller than that of many other civ's (England included) which although younger, have held more land area, people, and military power (also because turns span less and less years as time progresses).

Comment

Originally posted by Kilroy_Alpha

How is England any more original than the US? It's been around for 1500 years at the very most, and it would be easy to argue that "England" in its present form is 400 years old.
                                Cuz the Americasn came from england! So by that I mean that if you vote for the Americans , you vote for england automaticly. Americans would not be there if it wer'nt for England. Just like Canada(England), Mexico (spain) and so on.... You get my point?
                                -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X