X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Lack of concern for the product and its future

Originally posted by MarkG
    actually, that [an editor being released] has already be done....
    I'm sorry, I had in mind a useful tool.

You realize that is exactly what I am talking about. The fact that no one who counts can say, officially, that isn't all we are to get - that is the crux of the issue.
    "Is it sport? I think it is. And does affection breed it? I think it does. Is it frailty that so errs? It is so too." - Shakespeare, Othello IV,iii

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lack of concern for the product and its future

Originally posted by jackshot
      The fact that no one who counts can say, officially, that isn't all we are to get - that is the crux of the issue.
      check the christmas chat transcript or do a search for firaxian posts on this forum

if you dare to believe, the truth is out there
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Gramphos
        Relax, they have had holidays. Also how long did they work with the first patch? (My guess is that they started when the game went gold)
        These are my guesses too.

Civ3 went gold in the middle of October.
        Civ3 was released at the end of October.
        First patch was released about eight weeks after the game went gold.

If we assume they've been working on the second patch since the first patch was released, and they have had two weeks of holidays for Christmas and New Year, and the second patch takes about as long as the first to produce, then I expect to see the second patch in the last half of February.
        None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
          I cannot and will not discuss the contents of what may or may not be in any forthcoming patches. It's neither my responsibility nor my right to do so.
          There's a reason for this. Sometimes fixing a bug causes other bugs to appear. If these new bugs are easy to fix there's no problem, but if the new bugs prove to be too hard to fix then the fix for the original bug must be discarded. The same goes for any new features that may be added. If the new features are too buggy they must be left out.

I would rather have the knowledge that a patch is being worked on than know the specifics of what it may contain because the contents are still subject to change. If FIRAXIS said that something was to be included in the patch and the patch didn't have that change after all when it was released, you can bet your last kidney that the Apolyton forum would have a dozen threads complaining about the omissions inside a day.
          Last edited by star mouse; January 30, 2002, 21:39.
          None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lack of concern for the product and its future

check the christmas chat transcript or do a search for firaxian posts on this forum

Why don't you set up a "link" or "quote" and I'll be more inclined to believe you.

Charles.
            - What we do in life, echos in eternity.

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lack of concern for the product and its future

Originally posted by CharlesUFarley
              Why don't you set up a "link" or "quote" and I'll be more inclined to believe you.
              sorry, the truth is only for those who are willing to go out and find it. it's not for old almost-bored-to-death sitting-in-their-chairs-dreaming-of-glory-civ2-days people
              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

• Here's *my* question:

How did this 'mild' accusation-fest recieve 5 Stars?
                Making the Civ-world a better place (and working up to King) one post at a time....

Comment

• Originally posted by N. Machiavelli
                  Here's *my* question:

How did this 'mild' accusation-fest recieve 5 Stars?
                  My question...where the hell is libertarian?! It's like somebody turned the volume of general from 11 to 3!
                  MOHonor - PJP

"Better ingredients make a better pizza" - Papa John

Comment

• Originally posted by MOHonor

My question...where the hell is libertarian?! It's like somebody turned the volume of general from 11 to 3!
                    Perhaps, just perhaps. He is in the mystic place some of us refer to as "The Real World". The magic zone *outside* of the board where people go to work, or eat, or spend time with their significant others. Scary place.

Heh, I've been away from the board for 2 months....glad to see nothing nor anybody has changed.
                    Making the Civ-world a better place (and working up to King) one post at a time....

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lack of concern for the product and its future

Mark, I've read these things and yes, I think Firaxis is going to make the effort. You misunderstand me.

But belief is not the issue - the "truth" is not here, only some hints at the truth. The truth of the record is that Firaxis deliberately shys away from creating any definite "truth" of what is to happen.

I don't know why. It is odd, that is all I know about it.
                      "Is it sport? I think it is. And does affection breed it? I think it does. Is it frailty that so errs? It is so too." - Shakespeare, Othello IV,iii

Comment

• Originally posted by star mouse

There's a reason for this. Sometimes fixing a bug causes other bugs to appear. If these new bugs are easy to fix there's no problem, but if the new bugs prove to be too hard to fix then the fix for the original bug must be discarded. The same goes for any new features that may be added. If the new features are too buggy they must be left out.

I would rather have the knowledge that a patch is being worked on than know the specifics of what it may contain because the contents are still subject to change. If FIRAXIS said that something was to be included in the patch and the patch didn't have that change after all when it was released, you can bet your last kidney that the Apolyton forum would have a dozen threads complaining about the omissions inside a day.
                        Bingo.

They don't have to tell us all. That would be silly. Do you expect the driver to be able to describe every bend in an untravelled road for you?

But they could tell us what the next major city in the trip will be. That's pretty basic isn't it?

We're working on a patch/ sorry, no patch at this time, we're moving on to an XP/ sorry, we're done, BTW here's a complete editor, happy CTP2

To return to an earlier point. A large part of the problem is that there is no one place to go to review all the info from Firaxis. Maybe if there were there would be less b*tching and kvetching. I am reasonably sure that they are working on a patch right now. But I'm not certain, and I'm sure as h*ll not going to go digging through searches to reassure myself. But, hey, what if someone else missed that thread? They wouldn't have a clue. All they would have is Fox *Markos* Mulder urging them on with the platitude that *the Truth is out there* and Joe *Regis* Firaxian making snide comments at them. Or so it seems.

Salve
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• **sniff** Reminds me of a younger me ...
                          I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

• OMG

Now my blood has run cold.

Father?

Salve
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Yes, Luke. Time to join The Dark Side.
                              I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

• Noooo. Neeeevvvvverrrrrr.

[Leaps to certain doom, only to be seen again]

Salve
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                                X