No announcement yet.

Thoughts on the replacement of Fundamentalism with Nationalism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I think my point has been proven by somebody misinterpreting my post.
    No, Techwins, I caught your sarcasm from the very beginning. I wasn't referring to your quote as hypocritical but rather . . . the reality it conveys behind the scenes.

Oh well. Whatever the case, the Valley heat sure does that to us, doesn't it?

Comment

Hey Osweld, look on the bright side. I've got digital cable which carries this channel called HBO zone which shows a lot of independent films from Canada. I never realized Toronto had such an good gay independent film scene. Also, once you guys legalize pot you can expect alot of business from America to come your way.

Comment

the reality it conveys behind the scenes.
        Ok, I wasn't sure if you understood my tone or not.

And yes that valley heat sure does suck. What city do you live in? I've lived in Mesa all of my life but back in May I moved to Gilbert. It's much nicer out in Gilbert.
        However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Originally posted by Chronus

As I similarily asked before, do you really have to believe everything marketing/propaganda and money tell you??? If you are suckered a couple of times ... you have my sympathy. If you are constantly being suckered ... then that's YOUR fault. Take some responsibility for yourself! Speaking of hypocritical . . . see the next quote.
          I don't know. Corporations in all countries spend billions of dollars on advertising because they know it influences our purchasing decisions. In some cases, the amount of advertising is so extensive that we may not have a choice.

Think about how often you see advertising, for say Coke, in a given day. How many TV ads, billbords, store signs, coke machine ads, would you see? All of these ads are saying the same thing: drink Coke, Coke is good.

Let's say you see 20 Coke ads per day, and that's probably a conservative estimate. That's about 7,300 Coke ads a year, 73,000 in a decade.

I would argue that scale of advertising effectively brainwashes us. Coke is sugar water with no healthy benefits, but how many of us would say Coke is bad for us. We don't say that because we are bombarded with Coke is good messages.

Or try publshing an ad saying coke is just sugar-water and it rots your teeth. No publisher is going to touch that ad.

Imagine if instead of saying Coke is god, the ads said Communism is good. I would bet that we would all be good little communists.

Is this an example of Evil Americans pushing their culture down our throats. Definitely not. All corporations do it, whether it is coke, Benetton (Italy?), Addidas (German). But to deny the effects of mass marketing is to deny modern life.
          Golfing since 67

Comment

Theoretically, communism is good, it just hasn't been effectively realized. I already am a good little communist, but nobody really listens to me.
            Retired, and it feels so good!

Comment

Tingkai: If seeing a couple little billboards can brainwash you, then I feel very sorry for you.

Comment

The problem with puting communism into practise is that it puts too much power into too little people. Of course, democratic government would mean much less chance of corruption, but on countries like Argentina (here), people who don't work and get 'paid' would be a lot. As always, the best would be something in between....

As for the implementation of communism, i think that in the far future, robots could be put in charge of everyhing, and if we have people not having to to do any work, (note, "not having to do", not "not doing") then we could live as closto communism, and as close to a 'perfect' society as possible.
                of course, this is open to many flaws, mainly the fact that there would need to be a kind of 'censorship' to prevent people to destroy the sistem...

I think that the thread has gone too far from it's original topic...
                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

I think that the thread has gone too far from it's original topic...
                  The original topic is pointless and so is the topic going on right now. Certain people just don't understand marketing and other aspects of the way the world works.
                  However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Originally posted by TechWins

The original topic is pointless and so is the topic going on right now. Certain people just don't understand marketing and other aspects of the way the world works.
                    The world doesn't work, it just manages to keep going by mere miracle...
                    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• The world doesn't work
                      Should have I of said behaves?

Comment

• it might be because it's 5:15 here but i don't get the sense of your post...
                        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• it took me nearly 5 mins, but now i get it...

how the world behaves...
                          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• What city do you live in?
                            I'm up here in Scottsdale. A friend of mine lives down there in Chandler. I thank the good Lord for the 101

I already am a good little communist, but nobody really listens to me.

I may not care for today's communism but I'll still listen to you, Isaac.

Incidently, the early Christian church was somewhat communistic in nature:

"All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had. . . . There were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned lands or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales and put it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to anyone as he had need."
                            Acts 4:32-35

Thus ends today's Sunday school lesson.

WOW! This thread sure gets around!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabre2th
                              Tingkai: If seeing a couple little billboards can brainwash you, then I feel very sorry for you.
                              Hate to tell ya, I guess you are going to be feeling sorry for yourself then cause it's not a couple of billboards. All of us face a constant barrage of advertising telling us that something or other is good. We are all affected by it, usually at a subconscious level. It is not like you see an ad and go "oh, I want to buy that product." Instead, when a person wants something to drink, they think of Coke.

As I said, this is just a fact of life. There's no way to avoid it, unless you want to isolate yourself from the modern world. But there's no point denying it either.

The interesting thing about Civ3 is that it recognizes that people's choices are influenced by outside factors.
                              Last edited by Tingkai; September 2, 2001, 11:01.
                              Golfing since 67

Comment

• Guys, Nationalism is not a government. It is a form of National Pride. historically, it never was a Government. Napoloen established himself as an Emperor like diety.

Anyway, Nationalism could be anything! Americans are nationalist, we just call it patriotism! Yugoslavia had bouts of Nationalism during Natos bombing. The Chinese and the Soviets used to be big fans of Nationalism.

Nationalism is simply pride of a citizen towards his country. Never heard of a 'Nationalist' Government.

They should have put Fascism in its place! But we can always Mod it

Comment

Working...
                                X