Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
    Both is true for Democracy as well.
    There have never been any TRUE and GENUINE democracy or communism in the highest and most idealistic sense of the word. Like one could imagine it would be, if everybody who inhabited our planet where true angels or true moral geniuses, like Jesus himself.

Just take a look at this statement; "equal rights and treatment of all" - you see how badly this relates to reality? Both on a indevidual and on an international level?
    OK then, but it is nevertheless the "least bad" choice we have. Whats the alternatives? What have the result been then brutal political/police-state force have been sanctioned in order to change things?

Perhaps current democracy is like an 9 year old, and current dictatorship is like an 6 years old (figurative speaking). Neither "clothes" can fit an grown up adult (in moral sense), but democratic gov-form is nevertheless a step in the right direction, or the "least bad" considering the alternatives, and the current development-level of mankind.

Comment

But if Democracy and Communism are not quite real, either, they could have well have kept Fundamentalism. I do not favour a Theocracy, but it is a realizable concept. For the same reason, Fascism should be in. Or they should make Despotism a viable alternative, like in CivI, where modern Despotism represented Fascism.
      Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
        Or they should make Despotism a viable alternative, like in CivI, where modern Despotism represented Fascism.
        Hmm - I see your point. Both despotism (especially despotism) and monarchy easily becomes stop-gap govs. Govs that you really cant use as worthwhile enough platforms, to do worthwhile things with. Especially not in the second half-part of the game. Perhaps an (to some degree) upgradeable despotism and monarchy gov-choice could push the life-cycle forward somewhat? If Firaxis have tweaked the govs like that, I dont know.

Comment

* repeats her original post and throws dictionaries and 'pedia into the room *
          A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
          Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

I guess it will come down to Democracy and Communism in the endgame since nothing else will be viable >sniff<

BTW, what were the so-called "unrealistic" governments in CTP!? I mean, theocracy may have been a bit strong in the first CTP, but other than that . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis
              I'm not sure where all this started
              I know. It started May 26 with a preview that stated:
              [COLOR={qcolor}]Rather than paying a production upkeep for your units, you will pay gold instead. This frees up shields for production but puts a slightly higher strain on your economy. The solution to this lies in the game's new government, Nationalism. Available later in the game, Nationalism is analogous to the ideology of early nineteenth century Europe. Think Napoleon here. To switch to Nationalism your culture rating must be quite high. The benefit of Nationalism is that you can mobilize your economy for war or peace.[/COLOR]

And I brought it to the forum government discussion. And as no one from Firaxis said anything about it until now the idea has grown with the time.
              Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Well, after stating it millions of times that nationalsim isn't a government choice in Civ3 I was finally proved right by a Firixian.

I'm not sure where all this started, but Nationalism is NOT a form of government in Civ III. Nationalism is a Tech which allows you to draft citizens and switch to a war-time economy.
                I'll say no more.
                However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Originally posted by Ribannah
                  * repeats her original post and throws dictionaries and 'pedia into the room *
                  No nead to ready Your catapult. I realize that 'Theocracy' is a more precise term than Fundamentalism, but 'Fascism' is the term Mussolini used for his political system, so there´s nothing wrong with that. The question is: Should Theocracy and Fascism be in or not. I would like them to be in. But I would like a social engineering matrix, similar to AC, even better. But over at Firaxis they seem to think: The less the merrier.
                  Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

I'm not going to be happy if there is a total limit on 5 governments. We better be able to edit the total amount and what they do.
                    "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                    "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                    Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Originally posted by TechWins
                      Well, after stating it millions of times that nationalsim isn't a government choice in Civ3 I was finally proved right by a Firixian.
                      The only thing I don't understand is why Firaxis didn't stop this rumor before.
                      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Why?

Rumors makes good fuel for discussions, if nothing else.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf
                          Like one could imagine it would be, if everybody who inhabited our planet where true angels or true moral geniuses, like Jesus himself
                          Jesus was not a moral genius. He just managed to leave the fugging cross once they stopped looking.

The difference between a religion and a cult is measured only by success.
                          Retired, and it feels so good!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStone
                            I don`t believe that there are or have ever been and fundy govs in the world.
                            What about the U.S.

Just like with a fundamental gov't in Civ2, the U.S. makes lots of money; no one cares when it spies go around overthrowing governments; Americans seem perfectly happy having their troops stationed all over the world, outside their "cities;" and when other countries try to seek peace, the American gov't ignores them.

Sounds pretty fundy to me.
                            Golfing since 67

Comment

We all know that's not true, Tingkai. Your post may be light-hearted in nature, but the constant "America-bashing" in these forums really gets old. Almost none of the people who say things like that have actually lived in the U.S. Get off your high horse, your country is just as bad.

Comment

"America-bashing" in these forums really gets old
                                "America-bashing" isn't restricted to this forum.

Almost none of the people who say things like that have actually lived in the U.S
                                That seems to be very logical. If people are bashing America than its very logical to assume that they live in other countries.

Comment

Working...
                                X