Thoughts on the replacement of Fundamentalism with Nationalism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedWhiteArcher
    "America-bashing" isn't restricted to this forum.
    I didn't say it was.

Originally posted by RedWhiteArcher
    That seems to be very logical. If people are bashing America than its very logical to assume that they live in other countries.
    That is not really that logical. I didn't assume that they from outside the U.S., the majority of them actually are. Assumptions like that make you look as bad as the bashers (or worse).

Comment

The only thing I don't understand is why Firaxis didn't stop this rumor before.
      The reason for that is because "they were working on two projects". Note that everything inside quation marks means Firaxis was screwing around playing Civ3.

; no one cares when it spies go around overthrowing governments; Americans seem perfectly happy having their troops stationed all over the world, outside their "cities;" and when other countries try to seek peace, the American gov't ignores them.
      When did our spies go around overthrowing any gov.? You are very incorrect in that Americans are happy with our troops stationed all over the world. Americans are just as unhappy about not seeing their families as any other human would be. What a stupid statement that what was by you. I usually don't like to make "bad" remarks like that but since you know nothing about us Americans you are not inclined to make poorly informed statements like that. Your last statement is also inaccurate. US are not influencing any nations to stay at war. In fact the US is trying to create peace between many nations. Please don't post your biased and uninformative comments anymore. Although, I would like to read your unbiased and informative comments.

If people are bashing America than its very logical to assume that they live in other countries.
      No, it's not. Many Americans are very hateful towards the US. For some reason or another but it's true. I believe more Americans need to follow the famous statement made by JFK, just go look at my signature.
      However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre2th
        We all know that's not true, Tingkai.
        Really? Are you saying the U.S. is not rich? Are you saying that when the U.S. takes unilateral action, other countries boycott it?

What happened when the U.S. invaded Panama, Grenada, Laos and Cambodia. Not much. Did any of these invasions result in the collapse of a U.S. government? No.

The U.S. has had military bases all over the world for the past 50 years and most Americans are proud of this. We are the world's police.

As for the bit about the spies, just look at what the CIA has done. Iran, the Philippines, Nicaraugua, Vietnam, and so on.

I'm not saying that the U.S. government is evil. I just think its funny that the U.S. fits the attributes of a civ fundamental government. It's called irony.
        Golfing since 67

Comment

The U.S. doesn't fit the attributes. Most Americans are not happy about having our troops spread out and the CIA is no different from any other nation's intelligence section.

I'm done arguing about this. Go find something better to do with your time.

Comment

The U.S. doesn't fit the attributes. Most Americans are not happy about having our troops spread out and the CIA is no different from any other nation's intelligence section.

I'm done arguing about this. Go find something better to do with your time.
            You've been arguing? I thought you were just pouting and saying "Is not" followed by "I'm not going to play anymore."
            Golfing since 67

Comment

I'd say if Firaxis was going for realism, democracy in Civ III would be like fundamentalism in CIV II
              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

You're acting like you're 6 years old, Tingkai, but I'll bite anyway. Most of your statements are just plain not accurate. There's nothing more I can say. You're making stuff up.

Until you say something productive or start backing up your claims with real evidence, I'm done with you.
                Last edited by Sabre2th; August 29, 2001, 16:49.

Comment

Well, after stating it millions of times that nationalsim isn't a government choice in Civ3 I was finally proved right by a Firixian.
                  Yeah, that´s good news. Among other things, it means I can mobilize for war as a democracy ...

What i´d really like to see soon at civ3.com is a developer update about "Governments in Civ 3".
                  "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Originally posted by TechWins

When did our spies go around overthrowing any gov.?
                    I seem to remember a guy named Pinochet who killed 3.000+ in Chile and who was installed by the CIA who helped him liquidate his (democratically elected) predecessor. This was not a single unfortunate instance; it was pretty much Kissinger as usual, and not only Kissinger.
                    Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

29-08-2001 09:52
                      I'm done arguing about this.
                      ----
                      29-08-2001 23:49
                      I'm done with you.
                      ---
                      Sabre2th: Promises, promises.

Tell you what, go ahead and spout off some more insults, but don't expect a response. This is my last post to this thread. I'm not really interested in listening to your temper tantrums.

But do us a favour. If you are going to continue insulting people, please try to be creative. If the best you can do is "you're acting like a six-year-old" then you might as well say nothing at all. Better yet, try to grasp the concept of THE APOLYTON FORUM FAQ v2.2 Item XI. It's very simple:

What can't I post?
                      Insults, flames, hatred comments, spamming, advertisements are an abuse of your priviledge to post and can result to a penalty."

If you have any problems understanding that, let us know. I'm sure we can explain it to you.
                      Golfing since 67

Comment

Don't take my posts out of context and don't quote the FAQ to me. It is not productive in any way and still doesn't prove your point about FUNDAMENTALISM, which is the whole reason for this thread.

Comment

From my point of view the U.S. defintely show a fundamentalistic influence. If you look in some states like Colorado where the "Theory of Evolution" (is this correct? I only know the german term) by Darwin was banned from the local schoolbooks you'll see what I mean.
                          Signature? Signature? What does Signature mean?

Comment

I agree that that particular incident is a little strange, but it is only one example. There are far more arguments the other way. This whole Darwin thing isn't just for the heck of it. The government has no affiliation. The theory of evolution isn't officially taught because religion isn't officially taught. This is meant to avoid teaching religious children something other than their beliefs. The whole evolution/religion thing is a sensitive issue. It is done simply to avoid offending people.

Comment

I agree that that particular incident is a little strange, but it is only one example.
                              There are plenty more examples, the oppression of homosexuality being one of the major issues. While I wouldn't call the USA a Theocracy, certain fundamentalist tendencies are obvious.

This whole Darwin thing isn't just for the heck of it. The government has no affiliation. The theory of evolution isn't officially taught because religion isn't officially taught.
                              This is a very weird statement IMHO. First, because there is no conflict between the evolution theory and the main religions in the USA. Second, children should be taught about all kinds of religion as well as science, so that they can make their own educated choice of what they want to believe. I don't see how this could offend anyone but a fundamentalist (religeous, scientific or otherwise) - which should be ignored by a democratic government!
                              A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
                              Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

Sorry. Double Post.

Comment

Working...
                                X