I find these proposals to trade away a valuable tech for the tiny bit of world map information the AI has and I don't yet maddening. If the AI approached the player with good offers for tech occasionally, it might be different. But when the only offers AIs ever make are completely ridiculous ones, it gets very annoying. About the only thing those offers are good for is an excuse to go to war - a civ that makes such a crazy offer doesn't deserve to live.
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
AU 206: Gallic Glory - Stories and Strategy Tips
Collapse
X
-
3 turns, actually...Originally posted by nbarclay
Olaf, something tells me that with that kind of advantage, a domination victory would be quicker than a space race victory. You can't be too far from the domination threshold now, and if the other continent is sufficiently railroaded, an initial landing force of say 16 MIs and 72 MAs (maybe more if you build more transports) could probably put you over in just a couple turns.
So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!
Comment
-
Yeah, but did you use the force mix I suggested?Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre
3 turns, actually...

Actually, with all the armies available, three four-unit MI armies and the rest stand-alone MAs would have made an excellent force mix. That would have provided enough MI power to withstand any plausible AI counterattack against the initial landing, and while MA armies are more survivable than individual MAs, individual MAs chew up ground faster against infantry (pre-radio in the case of PtW) because each MA gets a separate attack. Depending on terrain and city spacing, that might have made it possible to achieve victory a turn sooner.
Comment
-
I don't let it get my goat. They are obviously asking for charity. I will either press ESC, see what they will offer if I try to sell it to them, or (once in a while) actually give it to them.Originally posted by nbarclay
I find these proposals to trade away a valuable tech for the tiny bit of world map information the AI has and I don't yet maddening. ...
Comment
-
I made 2 MA armies to act as nutcrackers on metropolis cities. I also shipped 4 MI armies to defend cities and stop resistance. The rest was individual MA plus 10 artillery.Originally posted by nbarclay
Yeah, but did you use the force mix I suggested?
...
So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!
Comment
-
Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre
This is kinda old news, but I never have had this many armies in a game before. The reason is this:
I already had the Military Academy in place when I found out the city could also build the Iron Works - pumping out armies every 5th turn now.
I almost always wait till I know which city of mine will be the biggest producer (I was pleasantly surpirsed how close the IW city was to my FP) then I build the MA in that city, so I very commonly get armies in 4-6 per turn chunks.
badams
Comment
-
I just renegotiate the deal and usually 1 gold is all that's needed to see his map.Originally posted by nbarclay
I find these proposals to trade away a valuable tech for the tiny bit of world map information the AI has and I don't yet maddening.badams
Comment
-
I'm still working on explicit examples, but I believe the AI will never attack an army of 4 MIs or 4 MAs with all it's hp unless he has armies himself. The percentage of victory will be too low for him to consider even starting the attack against the army. So counterattack will be non-existant. Theseus called it "combat avoidance," but I like to think of it as "defense by avoidance."Originally posted by nbarclay
Actually, with all the armies available, three four-unit MI armies and the rest stand-alone MAs would have made an excellent force mix. That would have provided enough MI power to withstand any plausible AI counterattack against the initial landing, and while MA armies are more survivable than individual MAs, individual MAs chew up ground faster against infantry (pre-radio in the case of PtW) because each MA gets a separate attack. Depending on terrain and city spacing, that might have made it possible to achieve victory a turn sooner.
So I would personally not make the 4-MI armies and just build more MA armies for defense.badams
Comment
-
What level/size map do you usually play? I've found that the larger the map, the higher the score (unless you're doing the diety, tiny map conquest game). Kind of a negative for me since I usually don't play anything larger than standard. Which means once I finish this game, this will be one of my highest scores.Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre
Only 7th place on my highscore list, but still a great game. Thanks Alexman for setting it up and especially for emulating PTW for us poor Scandinavians who are still waiting for the release!
Gallic Swordsmen rock!
badams
Comment
-
I normally play emperor but get my backside kicked quite often. When I want to make sure to win I play on monarch. I seldom finish any games however, so many great games have been forgotten and never reached the hall of fame. Since I got my new computer (2.5 GHz, 512 MB RDRAM) I played a lot on huge and large maps. My highscore was on a tiny map on regent level, where all 4 civs were on the same tiny island. I conquered the world in 2700 BC something and got 14400 score. My best "real" game was about 6500 score.Originally posted by badams52
What level/size map do you usually play? I've found that the larger the map, the higher the score (unless you're doing the diety, tiny map conquest game). Kind of a negative for me since I usually don't play anything larger than standard. Which means once I finish this game, this will be one of my highest scores.So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!
Comment
-
I had the FP in the same spot as you, and the new capital north of Rome.Originally posted by badams52
I almost always wait till I know which city of mine will be the biggest producer (I was pleasantly surpirsed how close the IW city was to my FP) then I build the MA in that city, so I very commonly get armies in 4-6 per turn chunks.
So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!
Comment
-
Perhaps I should try a little challenge, to take the Gallic Swordsman to an ultimate test? If I go back 5 turns to the autosave, I am not yet in war with America. I could send my transports home, disband all the MA and build only Gallic Swordsmen in all cities. With 80+ GS in the first wave, and 60 GS airlifted every turn after a bridghead is established, I should eventually be able to overrun the American infantry.
So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!
Comment
Comment