No announcement yet.

Civ3: Who's resolve is first to falter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll have to check that, I was dealing with different classes.

If you get one though trade or the gl that you are working on, you lose whatever when you move to a new one.

Hmmmmmmm

RAH
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• War4: don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the razing. I got caught with my pants down (I had 3 defenders in each city, but hadn't upgraded sufficiently). I'm not sure 3 defenders would have been sufficient anyway, which in and of itself demonstrates a difference between Civ 2 and Civ 3. Like I said, though, the lesson has been learned.
      "I think the advantages by the proposal which I have made are obvious and many, as well as of the highest importance."
      Jonathan Swift

Comment

• yes Bird you need more than three defenders.....the ai attacks in a swarm (still not really coordinated) lack of ZOC makes for a near impossibility to hem them in and they tend to travel on Mountains to go where they are going!

if you capture a setler does it turn into two workers? and why is it sometimes i capture scouts and other times i just kill them

if you need a road to the rival cap for trade how do you trade if you don't have that? i never get roads to the cap but sometimes by accident i have a road connecting to a city which is connected by road through their empire...

on the high levels i am running out of cash..... and those massive barb grow ops can be downright brutal if you don't get a vet right away.....

the worst is becoming a vet from barbs only to have the last one kill your weak warrior
        Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

• well i have it only to find my ancient computer won't run it. I'm just below minimum requirements. i thought i would be able to get by.
          Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

• makeo you must be running a dino...... i am a p2 266 and i am using 66mz ram but like the ai...i have alot of it.... for this kind of computer 256megs i believe and it works for me.....

Comment

• Originally posted by War4ever
              makeo you must be running a dino...... i am a p2 266 and i am using 66mz ram but like the ai...i have alot of it.... for this kind of computer 256megs i believe and it works for me.....
              Hehehe. Sounds like you've been drinking already! What language are you speaking?

Hey makeo, I had to buy a new computer to play the game. I refuse to say publicly what kind of machine I was using.
              "I think the advantages by the proposal which I have made are obvious and many, as well as of the highest importance."
              Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming

I thought the same... but Rah figured out that you can change the science you are working on by just going to your science advisor screen. You can change at any time, but you lose all the progress... it doesn't transfer. So if the computer picks randomly for you, you just change it... nothing lost.
                Maybe you don't lose all the progress when switching, and it may just stay with the old advance? For example if you are 10 turns away from writing and you switch to map making, then after you done with map making if you come back you get 10 turns left for writing. Of course if you buy it from some body then you lose all the accumulated turns.

Comment

• i have a 233mhz processor with 32 meg of ram.

Comment

• Makeo that sucks

BTW are you still in UTOPIA?

Xin....thank god someone pointed out the ability to plan science....

i am just rumbling through the game hail mary.... without remembering how i do things.... its the blind leading the blind

Is anyone building the four city perimeter in each direction from you cap ala civ2....i tried it and it works quite well in open spaces....

it slows growth towards your rival but allows for sustained growth in every direction.....

War4ever the not quite as good as he thought

Comment

• yep. i'm still in utopia. i keep getting raped. i've lost more land than i've captured.

Comment

• Here is the whole plan:

Play huge map. Select expansionist+commercial. Build your first city and start exploring.
                        First tech: writing, second tech: literature. Keep 1 science output for 64 turns.
                        Never trade techs; sell techs to get cash instead. The only exception is Masonry, for building palace then switching to a wonder. Also get communications to other civs at any cost.
                        Contact AI each turn and buy every worker available.
                        First thing to build: granary. Rush as soon as possible. Then build a settler (do not rush this tims). If play on deity, adjust luxury to quell unhappiness.
                        Build the second city ON RIVER, as close to the capital as possible. build granary, then workers untill you can build palace. Start building palace as soon as you can.
                        Meanwhile, from the first city build about 3 workers to work the city radius of the second city. Then build another settler. From now one, keep on building settlers to put down more cities.
                        Only switch to fighting units when barb appears.
                        Your scout should go straight to one direction, trying to find as many civs as you can.
                        Your only shot is to get the GL. Then sell advances to other civs. Then you'll be able to build a lot of wonders and enjoy culture advance.

Comment

• Just surfacing for a few seconds....

God I suck!

3 cities by late BC;
                          capital near a jungle kept getting diseased;
                          barbs kept taking out cities but at least I kept them!

Serves me right thinking I could do Deity level right off
                          I did when switching from Civ1 to Civ2 but this is a much bigger leap.

It is an excellent SP game with a great interface and could form the basis for a great MP game with much re-programming.

I'm avoiding strats like Xin's that you won't be able to use in MP.
                          I'm preferring to play without too much help from the AI civs and only tech trading as a last resort.

How about a Civ3 MP forum so this group of familiar Civ2 MP folks can maintain a coherent dialog without putting all thoughts in this one long Civ 2 thread?
                          "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
                          *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• Yeah....I bought this game on 10/31 and Im just coming up for air.....

I think that we all have been playing MP for so long that we have forgotten how to beat the AI. In MP we try to outgrow each other.
                            You could beat the AI in CivI by cranking out diplos and chariots/knights. You could beat the AI in CivII by cranking out diplos and crusaders/dragoons.
                            I dont think that it is possible to outgrow the AI in CivIII at Deity level. You need to get in the face of the AI ASAP and take out your neighbors. Let them build your cities for you. Leave them with 1 or 2 cities left and then sue for peace and take all their techs and gold. I used to build GL but its not necessary and it expires very early. You need to trade with the AI to stay competitive. When MP comes out we will all need to develop new strategies. A few observations....

1). Corruption is horrible even with courthouses, culture,democracy,communism,WLT_D's, and Forbidden Palace. You wont be able to get the MP advantage of controlling 50 cities to your opponents 20 like we have in Civ2. Once you get more than 8 hexes away fro your palace the corruption gets real bad.

2).Mobil units are key. They retreat when they are losing to slower units so they live to fight another day. They will be your best source of leaders to rush build wonders(like Forbidden Palace). My favorite ancient unit so far is the Iroquois Mounted Warrior: 3.1.1.

3). The power of rush building by sacrificing population in despotism and communism cannot be underestimated. IMHO this makes the Pyramids an extremely important wonder . Religion will be realized to be a very important civ attribute so you can switch between govt's to maximize rush building between gold and pop( not to mention switching govt's to alleviate war weariness or making it easier to rush build temples in newly conquered cities).

4). Starting positions seem more unbalanced and unequal that ever before. In one game you can start with a couple of cattle specials next to a river and the next game

you have a few squares of grassland surrounded by jungles the size of the Amazon and deserts the size of the Sahara.In one game you can start with 1 luxury special near you and the next game you have 3 luxury specials and iron, horses, saltpeter and coal to boot.

5). Trade routes are boring. Trade routes used to be a major part of MP strategy. Now you just trade for luxuries and strategic resources you dont have.....but you cant build up your individual cites with killer trade routes.

Im sure many, many strategies will be developed for MP but it appears as if it will be difficult for an individual to dominate in growth or trade as much as it could be done in Civ2 MP. Maybe we will have to resort to more armed conflicts......
                            " First France......then the WORLD!"

Comment

• The biggest advantage of all is the extra city i got being the French when i popped a hut...never received a set from any tribe other than expansionist.

Your right about land though..... i have a city with two furs a cattle and wheat on a flood plain... fish and gold....and i only needed a border expansion twice...... in the distance is another fish and two more incense with the next increase...

Then i go games as nap suggested with hills jungle.... mountains and plains

i still have some units that walk funny on roads?? not really sure why they can't always use all their MP

The only early wonder i go after is the pyramids....... they make expansion easy....

As for the pop rush in despot......... to me it seems the easy way out...many times i only need to kill one worker to finish a temple

Playing on the Pangea maps..... i often fo for the donut or wring of cities aproach..... works quite well and any cities that sneak in are easily absorbed culturally as they should be

unfortunately this game while being cool in some areas is really lacking in others and i fear that without a patch for some flaws, mp will be a disaster and i feel the replay value of this game is still undecided

Comment

• Okay I bought this game Got the LE too

I've played a couple of sessions at Chieftain or whatever the lowest is - I want to take my time and learn the game concepts and interface. I was bored in my first session but enjoyed the second session more, probably because I have a war to fight

Just took my first city - razing them is quite cool - I thought I'd get nothing but I got 4 workers out of it. No problem using roads, and I've got my slaves building more at the front Had to negotiate a right of passage agreement to get at my enemy. No problem with techs and my civ is in republic with lots of units out. Built The Oracle for the first time Forbidden city, Pyramids and Lighthouse.

One problem I'm having is setting up trade routes across the water (I'm on an island). I have ports but the game is telling me I don't have sea routes (I have embassies with all civs). I only have triremes for ships though. Maybe that's the problem.

So far so good
                                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                                X