No announcement yet.

Civ3: Who's resolve is first to falter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ3: Who's resolve is first to falter?

With Civ3 about to be released anytime now I would like to know how strong your resolve is. Will you play Civ3 despite it having no MP? And how did you get it (discount, bargain bin, special offer, "gift?", copy from a friend etc..)?

My bet is that Rah's going to be the first to crack!

Well, actually it will be Ming. But he doesn't want to get his hands dirty. So he'll 'borrow' it from Rah
    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

I'll buy it the first day it comes out... and I will play it... when nobody is around to play CivII MP... two key reasons.

First, I want to REALLY understand the game by the time MP does come out...
    And most importantly, I want to help find all the bugs and cheats and make sure they are notified so that MP doesn't have them

Keep on Civin'
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ha, I didn't buy Civ-2 untill it was gold and 20 bucks, so no way will I shell out for civ-3 UNTILL it's got MP and most of the bugs gone.
      I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
      i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

my story is the same as chris's.

those bastards arent going to get my hard earned money so easily.
        I see the world through bloodshot eyes
        Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

As much as I would like to take the high road......

CapTVK will win the bet

And ming will probably talk me into picking his up for him.

RAH
          My reasons are the same as Ming's.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

That was quick. Maybe I should have wagered some money!

As for my own resolve...I'll wait for a month or two and look for player feedback on the forums. I know exactly what's going to happen: At the start the response will be glowing. If it's good that response will tone down with some minor discussions abouts bugs, balance, units hiccups etc.. Just like Civ2.
            But if it's bad minor criticisms will start to appear that will grow into fullblown flamewars between casual players and Civ3 fanatics. That end result will be a "it's official..........."

And by that time I'll be ready to make a decision.

Apart from missing MP the signs for Civ3 seem good. It seems to have combined alot of earlier Sid creations like Colonization and RRT.
            My only true fear is that Civ3 turns out to be boring as CtP. Activision's attempts were more of a choir than a game in the end.
            Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
              And ming will probably talk me into picking his up for him.
              Hmmm... now that you have mentioned it....
              Keep on Civin'

Comment

because i am down under i hav elittle choice, civ not here for a long time so i wait, but i think i will wait till civ 3 MP is avaialble anyway... then buy it from US of A
                GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

I'm going to find it hard to resist. Though I think playing SP is not a good preparation for MP.
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Thats very true but it doesn't hurt to have a thorough understanding of how to play.What does what,which is best,do this or do that etc.

By the looks of things,MP will not be a speed fest and trying to learn basics in a mp game will probably be unpleasant to all involved.
                    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Re: Civ3: Who's resolve is first to falter?

Originally posted by CapTVK
                      My bet is that Rah's going to be the first to crack!
                      Well, actually it will be Ming. But he doesn't want to get his hands dirty. So he'll 'borrow' it from Rah
                      your predictive abilities leave me unimpressed, both ming and rah said they'd get the game right away in multiple threads in different forums

i've resolved to wait til MP comes out, but i'm not sure how long i can hold out. depends a lot on how good people say it is and who those people are.
                      Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

I posted on the civ iii forum warning people not to rush in and buy it until some realistic reviews were out and bug testing is done by players. Fat chance they'll listen

But I'll probably wait and see - it takes at least 2 weeks for realistic impressions to start to emerge.
                        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                          But I'll probably wait and see - it takes at least 2 weeks for realistic impressions to start to emerge.

My guess a month at least, my only true fear is that Civ3 will become boring in the long run. In the sense that the "one more turn charm" isn't there.

Let's wait and see...

Comment

I never trust the "reviewers" anyway... I'm just going to spend the money. I have a shelf of bad games... one more won't matter But I'm betting that it will be a great game for SP.
                            Keep on Civin'

Comment

I bought it, only to find out I need a new computer to play it. Bummer.
                              "I think the advantages by the proposal which I have made are obvious and many, as well as of the highest importance."
                              Jonathan Swift

Comment

Working...
                              X