X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JamesJKirk
    happy election day!
    *moans* my party lost to a bunch of racist and reactionary scum

If you're interested in Aussie politics, my comments on the election are to be found here
    Last edited by Case; November 10, 2001, 21:43.
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Originally posted by Case

*moans* my party lost to a bunch of racist and reactionary scum

If you're interested in Aussie politics, my comments on the election are to be found here
      That is a shame, from what I've read of the election in the US press, it seems Howard readily admits and doesn't take issue with winning a victory because of racism. That's horrible...
      One of the few issues I give Pres. Bush credit on is regarding immigration (at least pre-Sept11) He actually sounds surprisingly thoughtful and eloquent when simply saying that they're just people looking for a better life. I think his feelings on the issue are better than those of Democrats, and certainly from the majority of Republicans.

Australia's govt is elected through a winner take all system, right? If that's so, I find it interesting that there are coalitions and several parties, as I've always heard that for the most part only proportional representation systems allow any significant third parties. Sorry for the lack of knowledge, most of my "formal" comparitive politics education is about Europe.

I guess I can switch back to O/T mode....Just thought it was noteworthy that today's 11/11, Veteran's Day or Armistice Day, depending on where you are. I hope we can wrap this game up by Remebrance Day. And definitely by that day in 1917 in the game, for the sake of the Confederacy.

Comment

Going completly OT

Howard is scum of the lowest order. His political career was almost ruined in the 80's when he made a speech criticising Asian immigration into Australia. Since then, he's learned to keep his mouth shut, and focus on being, in his words, the most conservative prime minister Australia has ever had.

An interesting contrast between him and Bush is where Bush seems to have gone out of his way to prevent attacks on American moslems by visting Mosques, etc Howard has repeatedly turned down invitations made by the Australian muslim community.

Australia's govt is elected through a winner take all system, right? If that's so, I find it interesting that there are coalitions and several parties, as I've always heard that for the most part only proportional representation systems allow any significant third parties. Sorry for the lack of knowledge, most of my "formal" comparitive politics education is about Europe.
        The structure of Australia's parliament is very similar to the American congress. There's a lower house (the House of Representatives) which comprises members who each represent a given area (generally containing 100,000 voters), and an upper house (called, you guessed it, the Senate), which represents the states and whose members are elected on a proportional basis.

Instead of winner takes all, Australia uses a preferential system of voting where you vote by numbering the candidates so that if your first choice dosn't get up, then your vote 'flows' to your second choice (and then your third, and so on) untill one candidate gets a majority of votes. It's a pretty fair system and ensures that the least hated candidate wins.

Getting back on topic, we're currently waiting on Hans, and I'm hoping that we can reach the 1915 events before Anzac day (25th of April)
        'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'

Comment

Instead of winner takes all, Australia uses a preferential system of voting where you vote by numbering the candidates so that if your first choice dosn't get up, then your vote 'flows' to your second choice (and then your third, and so on) untill one candidate gets a majority of votes. It's a pretty fair system and ensures that the least hated candidate wins.
          And yet Howard won...

We call that system Instant Runoff Voting in the US, it's popular with people on the left, like Greens who really don't have much of an alternative way to win many elections. They use it in some cities, like San Francisco though.

PR for the Senate is a good idea, I think it'd be practical in states where the upper house serve larger constituencies than the lower house and have no real differences.

well if Hans becomes a no-show, don't go abandoning the Entente to play as the US or anything, that would be a ripe invitation for a licking (to put it in Southern terms)

Comment

Yes, something must be done about this "HANS" . We can not very well continue dividing up the world with delays like this.
            "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton
            "Guinness sucks!" -- Me

Comment

Perhaps Case can post his file here so that Hans can download it?

Comment

Yes, as I stated in the other thread at the Frontier, I switched ISP's so that email address is no longer accessable. Please post the file here or email to:
                hans_715@yahoo.com
                A plane ticket to Afghanistan: $800
                A high powered sniper rifle: $1000
                A hotel with accessible roof and visibility: $100
                A shot at the head of a piece of **** like Osama bin Laden: Priceless. For everything else there's Master card.

Comment

We call that system Instant Runoff Voting in the US, it's popular with people on the left, like Greens who really don't have much of an alternative way to win many elections.
                  Hey, Green Party candidates won 48 races this year, out of 270.
                  The strategically impaired,
                  -Cal

Comment

I just emailed the file, and I'll post it here as well

Kirk: Howard would have won by a huge majority had there been no preferential system - Labor's primary vote [eg people selecting Labor candidates as their first choice] collapsed, and in percentage terms was the lowest the party has received since 1930. Most analysts are putting this down as a protest against Labor's support of the governments stance on refugees.

In contrast with America, the preferential system was introduced in the 1920's by the conservative parties seeking to counter the Australian Labor Party's working class support base.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Emeril says BAM!
                      Attached Files
                      A plane ticket to Afghanistan: $800
                      A high powered sniper rifle: $1000
                      A hotel with accessible roof and visibility: $100
                      A shot at the head of a piece of **** like Osama bin Laden: Priceless. For everything else there's Master card.

Comment

Will play later on Friday. Cheers.

Comment

*cough*

Comment

The Times, September 1914 Issue

Destroyers Shoot Down Zeppelins Over London
                            London.- The news of Zeppelin air raids over London caused great panic amongst the population of London. Despite the raid destroying some residential buildings, the people of London have been instilled with a great fear that seems to propel them onwards to war against the dirty Hun.

As soon as the great cigars appeared on the horizon, a taskforce of destroyers departed from Newcastle to try to intercept the airships, but they were to late to avoid the carnage. They did however open fire upon the airships as they returned to Germany, catching the unsuspecting ships as they crossed the Channel.

All in all, intelligence reveals that one squadron of airships was successfully decimated.

Comment

attachement
                              Attached Files

Comment

Richmond Times-Dispatch Sept 1914

Confederate Victory at Sea in the Battle of the Bermuda Triangle!
                                Cavalry Charges Repel Yankee Invasions into 3 Confederate States!
                                Dover Falls! Delaware and Most of Maryland Occupied by CS

The first major sea battle of the war involving the Confederacy has been fought, and there is no disputing she is victorious. A small scout fleet of Confederate ships were patrolling the waters north of Bermuda when they stumbled on a huge Yankee fleet, possibly en route to shell Confederate cities. Acting stealthily and decisively, the CS ships sunk what is told to be a "baker's dozen" of Yankee ships. We are told that a number of battleships and submersibles are among the sunken US vessals, but details beyond that remain sketchy. Nonetheless, this is doubtless a huge victory for the Confederate Navy, and it remains to be seen whether the Yankees will attempt to venture into the Atlantic in large numbers in the forseeable future.

Several Yankee invasions of western states were pushed by handily by Confederate cavalry. Yankee infantry had entered Sonorna, Chihuahua and Sequoyah, but been unprepared for swift action by CS cavalry. Officials say the US forces were most likely initial scout teams searching for breechs and weak points in Confederate lines. Needless to say, they found something else altogether. Still, officials say, positions in the west are being fortified, and forces are prepared to repel any future invasions.

Confederate troops will be sleeping in Dover tonight. Sweeping in after the stunning victory in Washington, DC, Confederate troops entered the city only after several rounds of artillery barrage and heavy Yankee resistence. Nevertheless, victory was complete, and this leaves all of Delaware and the large majority of Maryland firmly in Confederate hands.

75mm Operators under Jeb Stuart III's First Richmond Howitzers during the Battle of Dover

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X