No announcement yet.

The 'No Trade, No Problem' Succession Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All hail STYOM, new king of the 'Poly Protectionists. Those who don't hail me will be assimilated

Well, we don't need cash, since we can't buy either 'vans or foreign cities. And we don't want techs. STYOM proposes to lower the science rate again, in order to have lots of cash for when fun wonders like Sun Tzu, Magellan and Leos come along...

800: Tax collectors rejoice as scientists are told to learn to ride horses and are given shirts with big "+" signs on them.

Americans learn Math from Greeks, Greeks learn Monarchy from Americans. How cozy. It's the sword for them both. Greeks and Americans swap Seafaring for WarCode, Trade for Wheel and Writing.

Barbarians capture New Orleans.

Babylonians start KRC.

820: Mycenes (Greek) captured, 29 g.
    ** laughs at message when checking tech tree "No advances leading to Feudalism can be stolen at this time" We want Navigation, so "Then we should steal Seafaring" **
    Seafaring acquired from Greeks.

Crusaders purchased in Malaise.
    Cork (Celtic) sacked, 15g. Boadicea is told to take a hike.

Greeks land near Malaise and demand 350 g. We laugh; war...

840: researching Navigation.

860: Caerphilly destroyed amid great rejoicing.
    Aztec city Tlatelolco located. Cool, more potential enemies.

880: Americans demand Republic, demand rejected; war...

900: Detroit captured, take Engineering. Cars for everyone St Louis sacked, take Trade. Americans demand 250g, we laugh; war...

Tintagel destroyed.

920: Start Marco Polo in AntiGATT. Celts offer cease fire which we accept, expedient for now.

940: Baltimore captured. Americans demand 500g, then offer ceasefire, we accept, demand tribute; war...

Cease fire with Celts violated We also violate the Geneva Convention, the NonProliferation Treaty, the Washington Naval Conference, and stay up past our bedtimes

Advanced Tribe Spit at Camels

Americans destroy Baltimore.

960: Advanced Tribe Smugglers Blues

Babylonians start Leonardo's Workshop
    In a canny move, the Babylonian emissary greets us and offers to trade Invention for Republic. After picking himself off the floor, our negotiator agrees to the swap

980: Aztecs demand 800 g, we refuse; war...
    AntiGATT production switched to Leonardo's Workshop.

1000: Ship chain sails. Sure, it'd be better with bigger ships, but what the hey...

We're rolling now. I REALLY doubt I'll see another set of turns, but there's still some work to do!

DaveV... over to you...
    Attached Files
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
      880: Americans demand Republic, demand rejected; war...
      It's always worth giving away Republic in the hope the Civ concerned will choose that type of government. In a peaceful game trading returns will be enhanced by their extra arrows. In conquest situations Republican governments are easier to beat because of shield support for units and unhappiness caused by troops in the field of battle.

-----------------------

SG(2)
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

DaveV... over to you...
        Downloaded.

Comment

Nicely pillaged, STOYM.
          Expecting (much) more of the same from the legendary DaveV...
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits

It's always worth giving away Republic in the hope the Civ concerned will choose that type of government
            SG(2)
            Funny thing is, I knew that, and didn't do it, anyway... I was in a very hostile mood last night towards all AIs. But you're right, of course...

Has anyone ever done an analysis of shipchain use? Our 3-move triremes can ferry 2 units to America every turn, but I can't help but think it might be better strategy to deliver 20 crusaders every 10 turns, rather than 2/turn...

I'm building the Wonder in AntiGATT just to avoid having to disband units in lieu of caravans. Whether it's MPE, Leo, or something else is up to my successor. I know how Leo might play havoc with vet units... but I don't think that's an issue until Leadership/Electricity... and we're a long way from those!

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
            "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Has anyone ever done an analysis of shipchain use?
              1) 'ordinary' shipchain:
              1 trireme every 3rd square, provides a capacity of 2 units every 2nd turn (1 unit/turn)
              1 transport every 8th square (with LH and Magellan), provides a capacity of 8 units every 2nd turn (4 units/turn)

2)'double' shipchain':
              2 triremes every 3rd square, provide a capacity of 2 units/turn

3) 'Ribannahs' shipchain:
              1 trireme every 7th square, provides a capacity of 2 units every 4th turn (and the voyage is no longer instant, but the investment is much lower ).
              Last edited by La Fayette; December 6, 2002, 17:21.
              Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Yes, but....

I don't have the savegame in front of me now, but IIRC, we have enough ships for a 'revolving' shipchain (i.e. all ships in the chain move their full move towards the destination continent, and once there, return to the source port, in a looping path). So ideally, it's 2 units/turn, assuming ships return to the source port (or are built there) at a rate of 1/turn.

However... trireme is 40 shields/unit - we need, I think, at least 4 or 5 triremes to move 2 units/2 turns, and 8 or 10 to move 2 units/turn. Might we not be better off loading each Trireme, delivering the goods the non-chain way, and then disbanding the trireme at the end city (thereby getting 1/2 a crusader) - yes, it's wasteful of shields, but the issue is that we have lots of shield production on the home continent, and desperately need shields on the US continent. So, moving 20 shields to the front at the cost of 40 at home... good idea, or no?

Or, do we simply rushbuild crusaders on the US continent?

Obviously, with 7-move transports, this is less of an issue. But I wonder if this mini-shipchain is worth the effort...?

Comment

NOOO! Stop building Triremes, wait for Caravels!
                  (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                  (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                  (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

DaveV... status report?

Special Rules: No Caravans, Freight, or Spies allowed. Diplomats are allowed exclusively for the purpose of establishing embassies. Tech trading and other forms of diplomacy are permitted. Victory condition can be either conquest, or AC.

Play List:

1. STYOM
                    2. DaveV
                    3. SG(2)
                    4. Jrabbit
                    5. SG[1]
                    6. Straybow
                    7. Hydey
                    8. La Fayette

Comment

• Kibitz from the peanut gallery

Why is it never my turn when the Really Important Decisions must be made?
                      Attached Files
                      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
                        DaveV... status report?
                        Playing in my available time, which has been scarce. I will turn the game over by the end of the week, finished with my allotted turns or not. So far, I've played into 1060, captured three American cities, and am battling against the Bab, American, and Greek alliance near St. Louis. The Babs actually sabotaged my production, which I don't think I've ever seen the AI do before.

@Straybow: Crusaders can move twice as far on a road as triremes at sea.

Edit: the story so far:
                        1000 King Dave sees a need for more production and much less food. Workers are suitably rearranged.
                        City walls in St. Louis changed to Crusaders. The best defense is a good attack...
                        Contact Greeks; they want 1000 gold. Tell it to the marines. Mongols give 50 gold tribute, others are not impressed.
                        Sell: Granary in Detroit, temples in Armagh, Alas no 'vans, NoTopHat, NAFTAno, Nada Hari, Lacking Arrows, Extinct Camel, Caravanless.
                        Rushbuild 23 shields in Armagh, 4 in Alas no 'vans, 27 in St. Louis, 11 in Spit at Camels, 8 in Smuggler's Blues, 17 in SMERSH, 17 in Silky Arrows, 13 in NoTopHat, 14 in NAFTAno, 13 in Malaise, 21 in Lacking Arrows, 26 in Freight Fright, 9 in Fishy Research, 10 in Detroit, 3 in Delhi, 6 in Bangalore.
                        Greek catapult kills our crusader. Celt unit in Rhymney kills another.
                        1020 Babs and greeks sign a secret alliance against us.
                        Great Wall forces cease fire with Babs, Mongols pay 50. Cease fire with Americans.
                        Huts: (105,107) 100 go0ld, (123,81) 50 gold
                        Buy 25 shields in Isle of doubt, 13 in Extinct Camel
                        Boston captured, we kill Mongol crusader near Boonospyatall. Mongols, in turn, kill our crusader.
                        1040 We kill Greek chariot, American legion near St. Louis.
                        Atlanta captured, marketplace sold.
                        Buy 26 shields in Boston, 36 in Boonospyatall, 25 in Dow Plunges, 13 in Caravanless, 13 in Ban Freights
                        Huts: (143,79) 50 gold
                        1060 Greeks have nearly completed KRC. Babs sabotage production in St. Louis, we declare war.
                        Huts: (103,83) NONE legion
                        Granary sold in Atlanta.
                        Washington catpured, marketplace sold.
                        Our crusader kills Mongol catapult.
                        CaravanSorry, TradeFreeZone, Not A Canal established.
                        Buy 13 shields in Trade No More, 20 in Starvingcamel, 34 in St. Louis, 13 in Spit at Camels, 8 in Smugglers Blues, 17 in Lacking Arrows, 5 in Issus, 26 in Freight Fright, 27 in Bombay, 25 in Bangalore, 26 in Armagh
                        1080 Pharsalos (Greek) completes KRC.
                        Babylonian horsemen kill our crusader outside St. Louis. We kill him, and his buddies, an American chariot and another Bab horse.
                        Granary sold in Washington.
                        Buy 25 shields in NAFTAno, 7 in Not A Canal, 7 in TradeFreeZone, 13 in NoTopHat, 5 in Freight Fright, 7 in Detroit, 9 in CaravanSorry, 12 in Caernarfon
                        No Commodities established
                        Huts: (111,79) 100 gold
                        1100 San Francisco completes MPE .
                        San Francisco captured, granary sold.
                        City count: Celts 1 (no capital), Babs 11, Aztecs 6, Americans 6 (no capital), Greeks 11, Mongols 1
                        American catapult killed near Atlanta.
                        Buy 7 shields in No Commodities, 12 in Boonospyatall, 25 in St. Louis, 16 in Smugglers Blues, 4 in Extinct Camel, 25 in Dow Plunges, 25 in Boston, 4 in Atlanta.

The remainder of the log, and the save, are a little further down the page...
                        Last edited by DaveV; December 11, 2002, 14:06.

Comment

• Because It Is There

I Canals!
                          It's the principle, not the urgent need or practicality of the canal that matters.

PS:
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Hey Stray - you missed a canal zone!!!
                            (directly above the comma)

SG[1]

Comment

• ... and the rest of the reign of King Dave the Terrible:

1120 Americans kill our crusader outside Cincinnati
                              Huts: (117,79) 100 gold, (109,85) 50 gold, (105,23) 100 gold
                              Buy 7 shields in San Francisco, 4 in Nada Hari, 16 in Delhi, 4 in Caravanless, 4 in Ban Freights
                              1140 Aztecs change to republic.
                              Cincinnati destroyed.
                              Buy 32 shields in Bombay, 16 in Delhi, 13 in Trade No More, 25 in NAFTAno, 16 in Freight Fright, 4 in Caravanless, 3 in Ban Freights
                              1160 Babs change to republic
                              Rhymney destroyed, Celts eliminated, Russians respawned.
                              Huts (88,30) 50 gold
                              Buy 21 shields in Detroit, 4 in Washington, 6 in St. Louis, 13 in NoTopHat, 16 in Dow Plunges, 11 in Boston
                              1180 Greeks have nearly completed Leo's.
                              Uruk captured, harbor sold. Denver captured.
                              Huts: (99,21) barb horsemen x4, (110,68) nomads
                              Trade Gap, No Bonus established.
                              Buy 4 shields in St. Louis, 17 in Delhi
                              1200 Aztecs develop gunpowder, Delphi completes Leo's, Mongols develop bridge building. AntiGATT continues building Leo's.
                              Philadelphia captured, library sold.
                              Wasted Cope's established.

Notes for other players:
                              1) Restarting civs are enabled. It is not worth eliminating other civs at this point, since they'll just reincarnate in some out-of-the-way place.
                              2) AntiGATT is building Leo's, which is already built by the Greeks. Beware of changing production in this city, lest we lose lots of shields.

The save:
                              Attached Files

Comment

• I have the save and will start work shortly.

------------------------

SG(2)

Comment

Working...
                                X