Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 'No Trade, No Problem' Succession Game

This, as the title implies, is a succession game:

2.42 (now MGE - load and save in MGE please), Deity, 7 Civs, Raging. Large, custom map.

Special Rules: No Caravans, Freight, or Spies allowed. Diplomats are allowed exclusively for the purpose of establishing embassies. Tech trading and other forms of diplomacy are permitted. Victory condition can be either conquest, or AC.

Please start by playing 20 turns, post a message to say when you've dl'ed the game, and try to name cities in keeping of the spirit of the game...

Play List:

1. STYOM
    2. DaveV
    3. SG(2)
    4. Jrabbit

Post below if you'd like to join in. All are welcome - up to eight, anyway

4000: Start with no techs. Whale sighted.

3950: Horsemen from hut AntiGATT founded - Warriors. Horsemen reveal 2 Whale site NE of AntiGATT. Wise men begin work on the science of Ceremonial Burial.

3850: SMERSH founded - Warriors. Hut located to the NW of AntiGATT. As it touches the city radius, we resolve to open the hut in the hope of a unit...

3800: Archers from hut. Our aloof leader determines that these should garrison AntiGATT, and production in AntiGATT is changed to Settlers.

3700: Another nice 2 Whale site to the west, and a hut. Wise women warn of possible barbarian activity, so the hut is left alone for now.

The streets no longer reek with the stench of our dead. Wise men, thus encouraged by their success, now begin work on something clever to scribe onto tombstones (Alphabet)

3650: Warriors in SMERSH. Settlers production started.

3400: AntiGATT size 2. Workers shifted from Grassland to Forest, as per ancient resource square usage lore.

3250: Pictogram artists begin search for new jobs as Alphabet is discovered. "Monarchy? Whazzat??" quoth the wise men, as they begin work on Pottery.

3200: AntiGATT has coerced some of its inhabitants to Settle elsewhere. Warriors construction begins.

3050: Another hut is discovered, W of AntiGATT. SMERSH rounds up some Settlers, and begins to round up some more.

3000: Road construction starts between AntiGATT and SMERSH.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Six Thousand Year Old Man; November 19, 2002, 17:46.
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Downloaded. I should be able to play my turns tonight.

Comment

This is going to be easy. The random number generator has gifted us with a bounty of my favorite specials, whales and silk. The barbs have been quiet so far, but they are the only thing that can slow us down at this point.

2950 Nada Hari established.
      2900 Hut near Nada Hari yields archers.
      2750 Extinct Camel established.
      2700 Pottery discovered, Code of Laws next. AntiGATT switched to Hanging Gardens (1 shield lost).
      2500 Hut at (60,64) yields advanced tribe - renamed to No Top Hat.
      2300 Code of Laws -> Monarchy; Nada Hari completes settler.
      2200 SMERSH builds settlers.
      2150 Extinct Camel builds settlers.
      2000 Begin mining hidden silk NE of AntiGATT, begin road on hidden silk SW of Extinct Camel.
      Attached Files

Comment

Sounds fun. Would love to play, but I'm a Mac guy and this is 2.42, so...
        I'll just conquer vicariously through your posts.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

@ DaveV - looks good, from your log... except for the

This is going to be easy.

I was hoping for a real challenge.

@ Jrabbit - damn, I was hoping that 2.42 would be more inclusive...

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
          "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
            I was hoping for a real challenge.
            Well, this is pretty much the way I played before I discovered Apolyton. I know a lot more about the game now...

@ Jrabbit - damn, I was hoping that 2.42 would be more inclusive...
            I can convert to MGE, if that would widen the pool of players.

Comment

Would that (switching to MGE, which I have) necessitate starting over? If we're going to do it, we might as well do it now, when the game's young.

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
                Would that (switching to MGE, which I have) necessitate starting over? If we're going to do it, we might as well do it now, when the game's young.
                No, I'd just load my save into MGE and save it again. No muss, no fuss.

Comment

Ok ... sign me up! If nothing else it will bring a wry smile to Dave's face

STYOM ... I guess no caravans for food or wonder building. Please confirm before I start.

-------------------

SG(2) Trying to remember what he built before caravans ruled his play
                  "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                  "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                    Ok ... sign me up! If nothing else it will bring a wry smile to Dave's face

STYOM ... I guess no caravans for food or wonder building. Please confirm before I start.

-------------------

SG(2) Trying to remember what he built before caravans ruled his play
                    Exxxxxxxxacty Before I came to Apolyton, trade was foreign to me. I learned to trade and started winning easily on Deity. Now... let's take the trade away, and find out if we are as good as we think we are

NO Caravans for any purposes

@DaveV... great, I'll amend the first post to show MGE required.

@Jrabbit... I'll put you after SG(2). Please advise if there are any special instructions needed so that save files will open on your end...

Comment

I have the game and have saved it into MPGE!

---------------------

SG(2)

Comment

I'm still experimenting with the savegame issues. I think I'll not need any special treatment anymore, since I now d/l @work (PC), zip them here, and send them home.

The problem is for whoever follows me, who will have to deal with zipped save files. This should not be a barrier, but oddly, at time it is...

Confiming: Only rule is no camels, no freights. Plus dips for embassies only, and no spies at all.

Right? (DaveV is right -- winning without trade is how I learned, though I must confess to an early love affair with Mata Hari.)
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                          Confiming: Only rule is no camels, no freights. Plus dips for embassies only, and no spies at all.

Right? (DaveV is right -- winning without trade is how I learned, though I must confess to an early love affair with Mata Hari.)
                          Correct - no camels or freights, no spies, diplos only to establish embassies. Anything else is fair game

I won without trade using ICS... which I suspect might be advocated by some here But without diplos... it's gonna be tough work capturing inland walled cities using crusaders (I think). I'll miss those blue eyed temptresses, though. La Fayette will be

Comment

1950 - We are the third most advanced civ!

1900 - Lacking Arrows founded (53,71)

1850 Monarchy because we are in MPGE we can revolt to MONARCHY in one move. It was a tough choice for the next research goal but the Admiral in me chose Map Making!
                            Alas no 'vans founded (67, 65)

1750 - SMERSH rushes settler to Capital.

1700 - Settler builds into capital ... now size 3 - top city in F8!

1550 Map Making Now researching Horseback Riding. Settler builds into capital...now size 4.

1500 - We appear to be on an island - large but not huge.

1350 - Ban Freights founded (65,71)

1250 - Horseback Riding Now working on The Wheel.
                            Dow Plunges founded (60,70)

1100 - Caravanless founded (57,71); Hut 50g. Caravans may not be allowed but that doesn't stop me using the poor man's freight...disbanding horsemen to hurry up our flowers

1050 - Hanging Gardens ... Babylonians start Colossus.

1000 - Trade No More founded on different continent (81,63)

-------------------------------------

SG(2)
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits

1850 Monarchy because we are in MPGE we can revolt to MONARCHY in one move.

SG(2)
                              You learn something everyday... is Oedo year not a factor in MGE?

Comment

Working...
                              X