The 'No Trade, No Problem' Succession Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only on Oedo years ... 1850BC is one.
    In 2.42 the years begin slightly differently...so when you see the window "You have just learnt a new type of Government...do you want to begin a revolution?" the year has already changed to 1800 (or the next year)

-----------------

SG(2)
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Now I see. Thanks, SG(2)
      "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
      "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Can i book a tentative place - work is getting a bit tough so I might have to skip fairly frequently - if this is OK with all.
        Crooks and Clads here we come...

SG[1]

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
          Ok ... sign me up! If nothing else it will bring a wry smile to Dave's face
          I can't find the :wry smile: smiley, so I'll settle for .

/me mumbles something about a roaded silk square giving the same boost to production, and more arrows, than an extra population point.

Comment

No camel!
            Good work STYOM, this is a good succession game, sorry but I don't have any spare time....
            googol... this is a number!
            "Silence Ming. I will let you know when I feel you are needed." - HappySunShine
            "Classic Eyes...But in reality, it works the other way around." - Ming

Comment

D/L complete. (Thanks for zipping, SG(2)).
              Email to home system complete.
              This is Quality Time Night with the wife (dinner and West Wing), so can't play until Thursday night.

That's not a terrible delay, but -- STYOM, if you want to jump in, feel free.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Play list updated...

Updated play list.

@Jrabbit - no rush

@SG[1] - glad to have you aboard! If you're busy with the Sticky Mouse game (btw, whatever happened to Mercatia, original founder of Sticky Mouse??), I can amend the list to slot you in after SG(2) the next time around. At this point you'd be next up after Jrabbit.

@MN - jump in later if you have the chance...

Special Rules: No Caravans, Freight, or Spies allowed. Diplomats are allowed exclusively for the purpose of establishing embassies. Tech trading and other forms of diplomacy are permitted. Victory condition can be either conquest, or AC.

Please start by playing 20 turns, post a message to say when you've dl'ed the game, and try to name cities in keeping of the spirit of the game...

Play List:

1. STYOM
                2. DaveV
                3. SG(2)
                4. Jrabbit
                5. SG[1]
                6. Straybow

Post below if you'd like to join in. All are welcome - up to eight, anyway
                Last edited by Six Thousand Year Old Man; November 21, 2002, 15:28.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

"Diplomats are allowed exclusively for the purpose of establishing embassies"

Any limit to how long they can wander around tipping huts before they find a civ to start an embassy with?
                  (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                  (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                  (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
                    "Diplomats are allowed exclusively for the purpose of establishing embassies"

Any limit to how long they can wander around tipping huts before they find a civ to start an embassy with?
                    Well, I suspected there'd be some loopholes in the game parameters

I'd say there's no limit to that kind of wandering. Without bribe capacity, there's not much point in using a diplomat to explore when a horseman is cheaper and more able to defend itself - so, wander away!

Also, I hadn't considered what should happen to diplos if we build MPE/UN. I would think that if we build MPE/UN, any remaining diplomats should be disbanded in the nearest city. MPE expires, of course, so once it expires, diplomats can be built again. In any event, any diplos that upgrade to spies via Leo must be disbanded immediately. And if we don't have embassies, too bad

I don't remember if diplomats have a chance to thwart espionage attempts against a city they occupy. If they do, then, diplomats shall not be kept in cities for longer than a turn.

Does that clarify matters?

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
                      I don't remember if diplomats have a chance to thwart espionage attempts against a city they occupy. If they do, then, diplomats shall not be kept in cities for longer than a turn.
                      A diplomat has a chance to stop an attempt to steal tech. I had it happen in an MP game.

[back-seat driver]Speaking of horses, we need a bunch of them! The barbs could cut through our warriors like a hot knife through butter, and there are black squares to be explored![/back-seat driver]

Comment

a small point - once espionage is available there are no Dips - how do you then (re)establish embassies?

SG[1]

Comment

a small point - once espionage is available there are no Dips - how do you then (re)establish embassies?

SG[1]
                          You don't Hopefully that adds a small amount of challenge to the game.

If we get embassies via MPE, then we lose those embassies when it expires. There's a short window of time between Communism and Espionage in which diplos could be shipped towards foreign cities.

Or, of course, we could avoid researching Espionage... there's no reason to learn it, really.

Or... build or capture the UN...

Comment

Bah. Who really thinks the game will lost long enough to research such esoteric techs as espionage? Since we can't build caravans, we might as well build troops .

Comment

Originally posted by DaveV
                              Bah. Who really thinks the game will lost long enough to research such esoteric techs as espionage? Since we can't build caravans, we might as well build troops .
                              OK Genghis...what's your prescription? Lean and mean science until Democracy > SoL > Soft Fundy or perhaps Commie to keep the science rolling until Steam Engine/Leadership?

------------------

SG(2)

Comment

OK Genghis...what's your prescription? Lean and mean science until Democracy > SoL > Soft Fundy or perhaps Commie to keep the science rolling until Steam Engine/Leadership?
                                I think our best bet now is to flood the map with horsemen (or explorers?) and pick up a bunch of techs from huts and negotiation with the AIs. I'd love to have SoL and STWA for wonders. Best military tech required is probably ironclads, musketeers, crusaders. Railroads would make the job faster, but no less inevitable.

We shouldn't hunker down until we reach some magic enabling tech; the sooner we spread out across the map, the quicker we'll grow. We can count on picking up some cities from huts, and we can take some AI cities with units from huts. Why wait for the AIs to build city walls and decent defensive units?

"That's a nice capital you've got there, Abe. It would be a shame if something ... happened to it."

Comment

Working...
                                X