The 'No Trade, No Problem' Succession Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -Jrabbit

From the peanut gallery the Monk raises his hand to offer a few observations...

1)There are TWO missing Civ's. Somewhere out there hides the last American city as well as Moscow.

2) I am playing this out my own self (this is a challenging game) and if you hit on the right strategy and find the missing AI's, the only limit is the 1750ad threshold for respawning civs.

3) Demo as a research choice is as good as any. Nothing further will be learned. All 'our' scientists can safely start a world tour as the "Poly-tones" fulfilling their secret desires to be in a rock band.

4) A clarification if someone will provide--Is it okay to wander dips thru the 'dark' when there are already embassies with all the AI??

I don't want to spoil the fun so no hints. Hats off to STYOM for devising a superb rule-set for this game.

EDIT---WARNING!!!

The threshold for Civ Respawning is 1500ad.

Point 2) has the wrong date. Just assumed that an earlier poster had remembered correctly that it was 1750. (Must pay more attention to those "IIRC" tags.)
    Last edited by Bloody Monk; December 27, 2002, 13:06.
    so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

• :Hmmm: Pisa? Melbourne? I hate the default "extra city" names.

BB = Battleship, DD = Destroyer, CL = Cruiser. Why not CR? I dunno, that's just what the USN uses. What does the Brit Navy use?

BMonk, no Dips if there is no legitimate need for Embassy

Dem?? No, we need Metallurgy for Cannon to assault the walled cities! Oh well. Cancel the tour and put them eggheads back to work.
      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• Thanks Straybow.

I was wondering about the wandering dip in -Jrabbit's last save.

Cannons would be nice but are unnecessary for a 1750 victory; and, cash for rush buying has been berry, berry effective. With the slider set to max cash, it would not be possible to finish researching before game over.

Following the advice that sometimes comes thru the I Ching, for our scientists, "It does not further one to undertake anything." So, strike up the band....

Comment

• Hey, Cyrion, why don't you join us happy campers? in the next succession perhaps?

SG[1]

p.s. vet Catties will be enough for the Aztecs I think...
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

• Originally posted by Straybow
            :Hmmm: Pisa? Melbourne? I hate the default "extra city" names.
            Yeah, sorry. I meant to rename those to be more in alignment with our oh-so-clever "system."

BB = Battleship, DD = Destroyer, CL = Cruiser. Why not CR? I dunno, that's just what the USN uses. What does the Brit Navy use?
            Thanks for clarifying. Didn't know this was a real-world reference...

BMonk, no Dips if there is no legitimate need for Embassy
            FYI that dip was inherited. Didn't know if I was required to disband him or not...

Dem?? No, we need Metallurgy for Cannon to assault the walled cities! Oh well. Cancel the tour and put them eggheads back to work.
            Why bother?

MORE RABBIT NOTES --

1. Dallas is on the 2do list, too, Monk. But once we overrun New Orleans, I expect it will be right there for us. Shouldn't require a major expeditionary force -- just the leftover crusaders from the assault on NY.

2. Are we locked into 1750 as earliest possible win, or can we win earlier by taking all civs out in the same turn? I assume the AI will flash the victory video if we can do that.

3. Agree re assessment of STYOM's savagely simple, insightful ruleset. This has been a blast!
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• I see that while I was gorging myself on 2 holiday dinners, the 'Poly Protectionists have been swallowing up Greek and Babylonian cities

Originally posted by Straybow

CL= light cruiser. The USN used to use CA= heavy cruiser. Perhaps CA used to mean armored cruiser, from back in the days of the ironclads

Nice work Jrabbit... the bad guys are in real trouble now

This game has been fun Although I probably should have eliminated the respawn option Thanks for all your kudos and participation

I have an even more insidious succession game in mind for when this one (and the other Sticky Mouse one, which has been going on for how long?? ) is done. And there's still the "only-one-gov't-change-allowed-to-Demo-only conquest game" up my sleeve, too
              "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
              "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

• Looks like 2003 will be a worthy successor to 2002.
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit

MORE RABBIT NOTES --

1. Dallas is on the 2do list, too, Monk. But once we overrun New Orleans, I expect it will be right there for us. Shouldn't require a major expeditionary force -- just the leftover crusaders from the assault on NY.

2. Are we locked into 1750 as earliest possible win, or can we win earlier by taking all civs out in the same turn? I assume the AI will flash the victory video if we can do that.

3. Agree re assessment of STYOM's savagely simple, insightful ruleset. This has been a blast!
                  -Jrabbit,

1. Sorry that my poorly worded statement was misunderstood, Rabbit. In trying to be brief, I left the impression that you might have overlooked Dallas. I was, instead, trying to imply a greater degree of difficulty in locating Dallas.

2. Very good question!!

The actual dateline for respawning is 1500a. I should have paid more heed to the "IIRC" part of DaveV's mention of the 1750 date, previously on p.7. He was trying to indicate some uncertainty and I should have asked for clarification.

I would still be in a state of misconception if not for an accident in typing. I had all the Civ's ready to take in 1750, and was just biding my time, when an errant twitch sent a unit into the empty Rhodes in 1730. My horror turned to laughter (way too much Christmas 'cheer' while playing) when there was no respawn. So I swept the board a little earlier than planned.

Hopefully, SG[1] will see this before playing and not be misled by my earlier post

The new plan: Find 'em, Sack 'em, Drink more wine to celebrate.

Comment

• Great plan!!!!!!!
                    --> --> --> --> --> --> --> --> -->

Comment

• A short story written in pictography!!

Well said....

Comment

• Ten Crucs died killing off how many Musketeers in Teotihuacan, which doesn't have walls? We've got maybe four or five left and a similar number on the way, and three cities near enough to produce more. Pop 'em out every other turn… bloody, but would eventually work.
                        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• Yes, we've finally hit a critical mass of smilies, such that there is a sufficiency of material to permit some solid basic communications.

We Are... The Electronic Egyptians!!

Comment

• Hard to remember, but I don't think there were more than 3 or 4 defenders. Had several crucs go down without seeming to inflict any damage at all.

I was pretty sure there were walls there, but that may have been my reaction to the battle outcomes. Frankly, I don't really remember.

I do know that on one of my attacks, I brought the flag down but had no one left to enter the city. Flag went back up and my one remaining (very wounded) crusader had no shot. (Sorry, can't remember which attack it was.)

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                              Yes, we've finally hit a critical mass of smilies, such that there is a sufficiency of material to permit some solid basic communications.

We Are... The Electronic Egyptians!!
                              Sig-worthy, definitely.

There's nothing worse than bringing down the flag with your last 2 move attacker and finding him with 49% of movement left!! That's why we need DRAGOONS!
                              "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                              "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

• The AI usually doesn't sell City Walls while at war, but you never know…
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X