Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does anybody else play with the additional planetary climates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anybody else play with the additional planetary climates?

you can get the new climate settings at http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=94038
    I got them and they add a new layer to strategy especially on a 181x181 arid/fireball/hugeland/3 billion year old map... it makes the great wall useful and imporant so it adds tension
    ffffffffffffffffffff

I downloaded the new game.txt file... I may play with it, but haven't yet, as I have some succession game turns to play

Looks interesting. I like the idea of huge landmasses on gigamaps
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

And why does it make the GW more important?
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
        And why does it make the GW more important?
        I was wondering that. I thought a 3 billion year old planet would have more mountains and hills... which would make GW less important, wouldn't it (better defensive terrain)?

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
        "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Might make it easier to have a ground-attack-proof gold fortress (pre-howie)...
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

With 3bil the land is usualy clustered, so when starting out on a big peace of grassland you dont have the natural defence points you get in say 5bil.

Comment

Hats off to Smiley for all of his hard work.

How old is this game and we are still finding out new stuff?

I would be interested to see the suggested Dune and Naval scenarios.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I have a question, and since the thread is here, I might as well ask it here as opposed to in the Creation forum:

If I start a game with these different settings, and save it, can I play it on the same version of MGE without the new game.txt file?

(I assume so, since the savegame is made up of the same tiles as any other savegame - the new settings just allow for more varied random starts.)

Naturally, I'm thinking succession game here

Comment

Indeed, the settings only affect map generation, so the extra lines are only important when you're choosing the options.

I'll have to try out some of these...

But, ahem... Does anyone know CivMapGen?
                  Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator
                    Indeed, the settings only affect map generation, so the extra lines are only important when you're choosing the options.

I'll have to try out some of these...

But, ahem... Does anyone know CivMapGen?
                    I have been to your site, Mercator, and IIRC downloaded a few maps , but I didn't know about CivMapGen.

It looks good, too bad about the 10,000 tile limit. Viva la Gigamap.

Comment

Yes, it has some more odd limitations to the map size (I believe the width/height can only be multiples of 4). I tried to fix it by hexediting, but that didn't work... Wait a minute, I'll mail the creator.

It does an excellent job at generating random maps though (with plenty of parameters to tweak).
                      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Working...
                      X