help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help

really simple question, i downloaded a scenario and i want to know how to play it or get it to work
    i have windows xp
    thanks

It might help to post the scenario.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

If the file you downloaded is called something like "scenario.sav", all you have to do is copy it to the Civ2 folder (where the game is installed) and you'll be able to select it on Civ2's Load Game menu.

If the file is called "scenario.zip" (has a clamp or zipper icon) then things start getting a bit more complex.
      "Pointless Sig Quote"

Comment

thanks, it was a .zip file and i extracted all the files......now what?
        gracias

Comment

I copied all the extracted files to the Civ2 folder and when I try to load a scenario i get an error message
          "Failed to load game: file is not a saved game."

Comment

Your version of Civ II is too old. Older versions of Civ II can't recognize saves from newer versions.

Which version do you have?
            oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Do the patches make any difference on a scenario?
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Patches can make a difference. I think a scenario made for 2.42 won't work on 1.x, and a scenario made for MGE patch 1.3 won't work on unpatched MGE. And ToT 1.0 definitely can't handle ToT 1.1 scenarios.

It's most likely you don't have the right version of civ2 though, johnboy... If you're not sure, you can find it as the title of the Game Options dialog in the Game menu.

In any case, you shouldn't unzip the scenario into your main civ2 folder. But rather, into a separate subfolder of the "Scenario" folder in your civ2 directory.

If that "Scenario" folder doesn't exist already, you almost certainly have classic civ2, and next to no scenarios will work for it.

Oh, and you shouldn't start a scenario by using the "Load Game"option, but by using the "Start scenario" option.
                Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

If you've only got Classic then I'd suggest upgrading your version with a patch that can be found on another Civ site. 'poly won't let us post the patch here, but if you manage to find the other place (be careful when Googling - there are only two decent-sized Civ fan sites on the net ) then it is on their Civ 2 downloads page at the front page of the site. Full instructions for installing the patches are included with them - you should know which version you need from the scenario you already have.
                  Which scenario is it anyway? We will probably be able to tell you which version of Civ 2 you need to play if you tell us the name.

Comment

Please don't even hint at that patch ever again!

Everytime I hear people mention it, I get the uncontrollable urge to maim people.
                    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

i think it was the wwiii scenario, well i got the patch and now i dont know how to load the scenario, i extracted the files and just need to know what the next steps are.
                      thanks for the help everyone

Comment

Is that the one that come with the gold mpe addition?
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

i would have no idea, i got it from the mainpage, csc.apolyton.net, it was under the fictional subpage, i dunno,but whatever
                          thanks everybody for your help

Comment

On a similar note, I have just picked up Conflicts in Civ on ebay for absolute peanuts, but I can't get the bugger to load. I never play the Rome or WWII scenarios any more and would like to chance my arm at some of the other official versions too. Following the set-up instruction on the CD, it refuses to acknowledge the new folder I have created in the Civ2 directory for it to go in. Has anyone got any more hints for this?

Comment

@duke

What I wound up doing was re-installing a duplicate version of Civ2, and then installing CiC in the new one, from scratch. That way, you can install it into a base folder if the setup requires it, and move it later. I have moved my CiC files around endlessly this way, with no problems.

Bonus: with multiple installs, I also diluted the size of the list of save files.
                              "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                              "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Working...
                              X