Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever Fall Victim to a Civil War?

Everyone:

Has anyone ever had their capital conquered by another nation, thereby setting off a civil war within your own empire?

I haven't, but I'm tempted to "explore" this angle a bit by getting up to "mighty" or "supreme," wiping out a few AI civs (thereby freeing up slots), and then *deliberately* letting an AI army sweep into my undefended capital.

Would it work? Would I get to have my very own civil war?

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

I suspect that it can only happen to an AI civ, but I wouldn't bet on it...
    Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
    Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
    POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
    LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

I have yet to see the player Civ split & and a couple of semi-experiments at Cfc (see their D+1 game thread) have yet to see it either.
      Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

Hmm ... well, once I get a new game going, I'll conduct the experiment and see what happens. Then I'll post results in this thread.

Right now, though, I have to finish off the splintered Mongol Empire.

Gatekeeper
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

Nice idea ...

The SGs
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

OK. I was the "supreme" power, having conquered most of planet Earth, and I left my capital, Rome, undefended intentionally. Well, some barbarians swooped in and sacked the city.

No civil war.

But I did get the option to evacuate the government to Bokhara, of all cities. Bokhara! A former Mongol city on the other side of my Roman Republic in Asia! Why Bokhara?! Well, I did have 60 divisions of armor and howitzers healing there, preparing for a final offensive against the splinter nation of Britain (it rebelled after Mongolia's first capital fell to my armies).

I did have lots of civil unrest afterwards, though.

Next time I'll try it with an actual enemy nation instead of barbarians.

Gatekeeper

Comment

I made a scenario, gone now, with 4 nations. I started with two, and then took the capital twice in the same turn. The wars generated afterwards were quite fun because you had lots of cities completely cut off from friendly cities.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I've had something like that happen in my games from time to time, particularly if the AI has huge, continent-spanning empires. I'll sack its first capital, which splits the empire, then I'll sack the second capital, causing yet another split, and then sack the third capital, which results in yet another split ... and it's this one that usually finishes off the original nation, leaving three splinter nations in its wake.

Mongolia is especially prone to this.

Gatekeeper

Comment

I always thought civil wars could only happen to the AI.

Comment

And so it happens I agree with the good Dr...
                    Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
                    Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
                    POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
                    LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

can't we just call Sid and ask if this is possible?
                      My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

At least civil wars are possible in Civ II ... it's my understanding that they can't happen in Civ III.

Gatekeeper

Comment

I think I remember falling victim to a civil war once... I may be mistaken though. I think it's possible.
                          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                          Drake Tungsten
                          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                          Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
                            But I did get the option to evacuate the government to Bokhara, [...]
                            You will always get such a message if you have more than a 1000 gold.
                            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Yeah, but I was kind of hoping to have a choice of three cities. Bokhara was on the far side of my empire and secure, but when it comes to allaying corruption, it's best to have a "centered" capital when possible.

Gatekeeper

Comment

Working...
                              X