2.42 download?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.42 download?

I have been an avid civ2 player for 7 years, but I just joined this forum. I have been reading some amazing stuff from samson and solo about Early Landing strategy and OCC. The things they have figured out are stunning. I was trying to duplicate samson's one city 4 citizen game and doing a lot of reading at the same time. I found out how to check my version of civ2 somewhere on these forums and found I was running 1.0! I found the download to upgrade to 2.42 which people seem to like even more than the later versions for single player. I downloaded the file civ242.zip but am having trouble unzipping it. I have a very old dos unzipping program but it lists the name of the files while telling me it doesn't know what to do with them. Is there something simple I am missing? Do I need a new unzipping program?
    I just got the gold edition, version 5. something, but I read the AI are much more aggressive there. I had a much harder time making peace with them than samson did. I want to try it with v 2.42. Any ideas?

Forum rules prevent us from posting links to downloads of 'vanilla civ' or civ 2.42. You may have more success PM'ing one of the other forum participants.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Thanks obiwan18. Where are the forum rules? Also where is information about earliest world conquests at deity? There seems to be a lot more data about early landings.

Comment

Winzip is all you should need to extract the 2.42 patch, its located at www.winzip.com appropriately enough.
        Cedric's Civilization 2 Page, Home of the FW, MGE, and ToT Patches

Comment

Also where is information about earliest world conquests at deity?
          Have you conquered the world before 14 AD?

That's the earliest landing on a small world.

"Where are the forum rules?"

Go to a little button called FAQ.

That should handle all the most pertinent forum rules.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

There is not a forum rule against downloading patches! Anyway since you already have the patch just do as Cedric said and download winzip.

Comment

There is nothing against the rules with talking about an official update, obiwan...

As far as I can tell, stealthlover has both the original and MGE versions. All he wants is to update his original to 2.42 which is a free official update.

So, as Cedric said. Your best bet is to download WinZip. I'm quite sure your old program should work as well, but I'm not sure what problem exactly you're having.

All you need to do is unzip the update into your main Civ2 directory and overwrite any existing files (you can make backups if you want to).
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by stealthlover
                Thanks obiwan18. Where are the forum rules? Also where is information about earliest world conquests at deity? There seems to be a lot more data about early landings.
                I think conquest records are a little harder to evaluate, since map size and the nature of the map can make things easier/harder. With 4 AIs, I've conquered before 0 AD on a small map - but I had a good starting position and the map was favourable. The same result would have been harder to do on a med/large map, or an archipeligo, or one with 7 Civs... etc.
                "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Thanks obiwan, cedric, Spike, mercator, and Six. I found a zip program on another machine and solved the problem.
                  Six... what units were you up to when you conquored before AD? I can consistently conquor late after running the tech table. I wonder if I could use the early landing strategies I have been reading about to run out the techs early and then revert to my normal conquest tactics?

Comment

Early conquest games should be over well before then. If you have largeish continents ellies and crusaders should be your early tech path, with some triremes later to help you mop up.

Comment

As far as I can tell, stealthlover has both the original and MGE versions. All he wants is to update his original to 2.42 which is a free official update.
                      Sorry. Duly chastened.

Please carry on without my less then helpful suggestion.

Comment

No problem, you just misunderstood...

Just don't let it happen again, or else...
                        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by stealthlover
                          Six... what units were you up to when you conquored before AD? I can consistently conquor late after running the tech table. I wonder if I could use the early landing strategies I have been reading about to run out the techs early and then revert to my normal conquest tactics?
                          The trick is, get to crusaders and then stop researching. It seems the AI will match your science rate, and for early conquest, crusaders are the way to go, IMO.

IIRC, in my game, I had some luck with huts and got some good techs early as well as some conveniently located tribes. That helped a lot. Diplomats and Crusaders; that's the ticket
                          "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                          "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Hi Six..
                            I did pretty well with a game like you described in ToT a couple of months ago. Eventually I got bogged down but it was a full field of 7. I got so many cities that each one had the angry black dude as the first citizen so placating them slowed production. Also movement was slow and I wasted about 10 diplomats trying to destroy city walls of one city before I figured out that they had the Great Wall.

Comment

You can go all the way with Crooks - probably have to in order to achieve a record, but I have consistent success on large worlds, seven civs using the Clads & Crooks strategy ...
                              Tech path: Monarchy - Monotheism - Steam Engine and then close down Science
                              WoWs: Gardens (for the black faces), Lighthouse (for vets), Magellans (for movement) - Mike's is nice as well
                              Everything funded by frenetic trading and being a nice guy -- until the Clads and Crooks are unleashed
                              Personal handicap - must retain a spotless rep
                              Sneaky tip: if a civ has a lot of inland cities - let the Clads continuously bombard the coasal cities without capturing them - the AI runs all its surplus units to defend these cities where they too die - then land the Crooks elsewhere and roll up the now scantilly defended heartland
                              Super Ironclads rule!!!

SG[1]
                              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Working...
                              X