No announcement yet.

If you can pay 'em, why fight 'em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr. President, just sell four of your precious city walls and you get one where we really need it (cavebear's math sell four to buy one)

By the way, I think that stupid militaristic Greeks have city walls at the top of their building queue.

Comment

I think that you shouldn't worry too much about Sun Tzu for the time being. If you want to take that before you take the Greek cities, then the best way of collecting the cash to bribe Pharsalos outright is to take it from the American cities. As the population grows, so will the income, through tithes and otherwise.

Comment

It occurred to me that we might locate and estimate more accurately the price of Pharsalos using FIND CITY option on the menu!!!

And it worked!!!

I’ll post two screenshots.

Find city Pharsalos:
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Ljube; October 8, 2003, 01:52.

Comment

Athens cannot be located accurately, because the screen is centred lower than 10 squares away from the bottom of the map, so Athens can be anywhere on the white line, but not north of the white circle.

Find city Athens:
          Attached Files

Comment

The coordinates of Pharsalos are (169, 77).

The minimum distance of Pharsalos would be 9.

Let’s get it!

Comment

Sun Tzu's

Plus I like takeing a swing at those pesky Greeks. (They have gotten on my nervs since the beginning.)

Lets also bribe the American Cities on the river basin. After that get Bombay or any target of opportunity there may be.
              Wizards sixth rule:
              "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."
              Can't keep me down, I will CIV on.

Comment

I was going to ask about the legality of using Find City to locate Pharsalos, but it seems that the cat is already out of the bag.

Is there a list of rules for this game anywhere? It seems that xinning is allowed, but what about caravan rehoming, etc. (I know it's not appropriate in this game, but a link to the Diplo game rule book would be handy)

Comment

We don't have a constitution per se, we make decisions as we go along.

I don't think anyone has tried to use find city, so I'll wait for some of the others to comment.

I don't see anything wrong with Find city, given that Pharsalos is a city with a wonder, it ought to be well known by travellers around the world.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with Find City. It's a deliberate feature of the Kingdom menu. I suppose a specific group of players could agree not to use it for a game, but I don't worry about it much. Nobody ever seems to mention it at the start of a game. It's not all *that* helpful; it doesn't even show all cities.

Last edited by cavebear; October 7, 2003, 19:09.
                    Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                    Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                    Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                    Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

The citizens have voted that we bribe New York and Boston first. But which of these cities should be given precedence? If both of them have the courthouse then the price of New York would reach 1270 and the price of Boston 1524.

In support of my plan to bribe Pharsalos, I suggest we build an explorer in Argos to see the land beetween Argos and Pharsalos, and to see the size of Pharsalos (what if it's larger than 12 )

Comment

They don't have Sanitation, so I would be sincerely impressed if the city were larger than 12.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

You are right. Thanks for pointing out.

I wrote the post at work.

So, we don't need the explorer then. Let's go with what we have and bribe Pharsalos in 5 to 6 turns.

Comment

Originally posted by ljcvetko
                            So, we don't need the explorer then. Let's go with what we have and bribe Pharsalos in 5 to 6 turns.
                            let's first get rid of los americanos and then we can turn toward a new enemy.

Shade, SMC
                            ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
                            "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
                            shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

Working...
                            X