Turnlog 1758-1784

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turnlog 1758-1784

I played the turns... and all turned out pretty well.

The log will follow in the AM when I'm more awake. That sounds like a tease, but your V-P wanted the citizenry to know that all was well with the empire, before he passed out from exhaustion ...
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

The actual log + screen shots

I didn't mean to play so many turns, but it took longer than I thought to take Washington. 14 turns, to be exact. Hope that's OK

1758: President atawa having disappeared while on a fact-finding mission to Amazonia, Vice President STYOM assumes temporary leadership of the realm.

Cannons of the Imperium righteously smite American cannons outside of Sheol.
    Aqueduct rushed in Styx, 88 g.
    American sympathizers caught and executed near Rammstein.
    Settler rushed in Rack.

Lots of units move towards America South.

Greeks start Magellan
    Germans learn Theology, Zulus revolt.
    Germans start JS Bach's Cathedral.

1760: Many improvements built according to the City-Planner's guidance.
    Intruding Greek Catapult smote by Fanatics.
    Zulu saboteurs caught and executed near Paradiso.
    Marketplace rushed in Ore... we may need some better defenders there due to barbarian activity.
    American Cannon ventures out of Boston and is shattered by our guns

Americans are almost finished Eiffel. American Knight kills our Crusader near Phelgethon, Greek Dragoon kills a wandering Fanatic

Barbarian uprising near Desolation... a chance to earn some cash

Russians revolt. Zulus are now a Republic.

1762: Marketplace in Ore, start Bank... and send a Cannon there to kill bad guys.
    Dominion builds a Marketplace.
    The opportunity to bribe Delphi for 792 g (our entire treasury, just about) presents itself. The Foriegn Minister wants us to bribe, while the Defence Ministry wants us to leave the Greeks alone. As the price was steep, we leave the Greeks alone. Diplomat heads for safer ground.

Wandering Knight enrages a horde of barbarians near Zulu city of Tugela. Ho ho ho!
    City of Vile founded.

Americans build Eiffel. Our fortress full of units spots an American Diplo heading up towards Styx.
    Russians form Republic.
    Germans and Greeks ally against us!
    Americans and Germans ally against us!

1764: Our Crusaders 'neutralize' the American saboteurs near Styx, in the process rebuffing an American peace offering

Knight and Musketeer, scouting in tandem, reveal a line of ocean between Boston and Washington This could get tricky...
    Fanatic smites American Cannon near Phlegethon.
    We decline to give the Greeks 150 g, and war continues.
    100 g from hut.

Americans learn Leadership and Monotheism from Germans
    Greek Dragoons bash themselves to death against the walls of Argos.
    Ore defenders hold out against barbarian attacks.

1766: Madras incited to join the great Apolytonian Theocracy for the modest sum of 1220 g 26 g looted, and we start building Settlers there.

Crusader from Shield kills a Greek Catapult.
    Peace offer from Americans rebuffed American Camel unit ruthlessly hacked to bits by our fervent Fanatics.

Lovely little fortress located between Washington and St Louis, now occupied by our Musketeers and Knight. More units on the way
    More barbarians unleashed near Tugela.

Americans learn RR!
    Greeks learn Literacy.
    More Greek units die against our Argosian walls, and in the field.

1768: Decision time... and it truly is lonely at the top. If we steal RR now, our researching of Explosives will be slowed. There were no clear instructions on whether to wait or not; thus, we steal RR. Americans are now researching Conscription, so time is now of the essence

Germans consequently acquire RR from the Great Library. Fine, so much the better. Maybe they'll build rails through their empire, the better to conquer them with

Very isolated American city of New Orleans located, in the heart of Zuludom.
    German Diplomat expelled near Rammstein. The Germans are wealthy, so it pays to keep their agitators far from our cities.

Start Preworking Settler S of Styx.

Greeks kill our intrepid Diplomat, far behind Greek lines. A prayer is said for him in the Imperialis High Temple.
    Russians learn Metallurgy.
    Zulus learn Chivalry.
    Germans sneak attack us

1770: Troops move out of Sheol and out of the fortress S of Styx.

Barbarian Elephants get detusked by Desolation's defenses.

1772: Dragoons reap the reward N of Desolation: barbarian king is ransomed.
    Another American Cannon gets blasted by Fanatics W of Phlegethon.

Americans learn Medicine from Germans
    Greeks acquire Metallurgy,
    Russians acquire Writing from Greeks.
    Greeks and Russians ally against us
    Some exploring units killed by Greeks.
    Germans are almost finished Bach.

1774: Newton and Chicago rushbuild Banks for 120 and 36 g, respectively.
    German Cannon blasted by Fanatic near Bonn.

Settler S of Styx activated.

Greeks acquire Philosophy.
    Greeks acquire Railroad from Germans.
    Germans build JS Bach's Cathedral in Hamburg.

1776: Marketplace in Plague. Newton and Chicago build Banks.
    Science rate turned down slightly so that Explosives will coincide with the capture of Leo's Workshop.
    Greek Dragoons killed by Fanatics.
    Zulus demand Railroad for peace; they get war instead
    Fanatics destroy another German Cannon.

Mmmm... due to local unrest, there's a sale on at the Delhi... so we buy the whole city for 345 g. 25 g plundered, we start a Settler and sell the Granary.

1778: More moving of units into position. T-6 years.
    Cretaceous founded.
    Barbarian King finally tracked down and ransomed, S of Ore.
    First RR tracks are laid

Americans learn Polytheism
    Zulus learn RR from Germans.
    Greeks steal Banking
    Greeks acquire Invention.
    Barbarians land near Idefix.
    Russians learn RR.
    Zulus acquire Metallurgy and Monotheism from Russians.
    Russians learn Trade from Zulus.

1780:

Explosives discovered, start researching Tactics.
    T-4 years.
    Our first Engineers graduate from Engineering school
    German saboteurs executed outside Rammstein.

Americans acquire Sanitation from Germans. Keep it coming, guys... perhaps we can loot a tech from Washington if this keeps up.

1782: Bear's Cave build Marketplace.
    Our Knights kill American Cannon.
    INSTA-FORT (patent pending ) constructed outside of Washington on lovely swamp terrain. T-2 years
    Units pile into the fortress.
    Barbarians get smote near Idefix.
    Bank rushed in Ore now that the barbarian threat has passed.
    Chariot lost attacking American Dragoons; Crusaders finish the job.

American Dragoons attack us in vain
    Last edited by Six Thousand Year Old Man; October 1, 2003, 10:25.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

...the conclusion

1784: Doom builds Marketplace; Ore builds Bank. Inferno builds Marketplace.

The time has finally arrived. A setpiece battle which will decide whether the Apolytonian Imperium shall rule... or... well, we'll still rule, it'll just take longer

The scene in 1784:

Attempts at wall sabotage in Washington result in the destruction of the Granary and a half-finished Colosseum is demolished.
      Vet Cannon kills one Musketeer, is deeply wounded.
      Second vet Cannon barely scratches another Musketeer.
      Third vet Cannon wounds Musketeer.
      Fourth vet Cannon destroys another Musketeer, is badly wounded.
      Fifth vet Cannon wounds another Musketeer to the deep red.
      Sixth vet Cannon wounds another Musketeer to the deep red.
      Seventh vet Cannon further damages an already wounded Musketeer, but does not kill it.

(STYOM shouts "Come ON!" aloud, at about 1:30 AM)

Eighth Cannon (non vet) damages an already wounded Musketeer to the deep red.
      Dragoon dies in vain.
      Another Dragoon dies, but wounds a Musketeer further.
      Fanatics attack and die
      Musketeers attack and die.
      Fanatic attacks, and kills a Musketeer.
      Another Fanatic kills a Musketeer.
      Musketeer kills a Musketeer.
      Settlers (yes, the ones who built the fort :irony: ) walk into Washington. Eiffel Tower and Leonardo's Workshop captured along with 46 g.

Musketeers upgrade to Riflemen.
      Archers upgrade to Musketeers.
      Settlers upgrade to Engineers.
      Pikemen, Legions, Archers, Phalanx upgrade to Musketeers.
      Horsemen upgrade to Knights.
      Crusaders, Knights upgrade to Dragoons.
      Chariots upgrade to Elephants.

Washington, newest jewel in our empire:

All the standing orders seem to be exhausted, and the people must be polled to determine their new wishes. Plus, your VP notices that it is 1:35 AM and he has to work in the morning...

Comment

Foreign Ministry report:

Comment

Demography...

Comment

Top Cities...

Comment

Defence...

Comment

Science...

Comment

Sliders...

(Taxes are high so we'll have some bribe money)

Comment

WOWZA! All those upgrades. That really shocases the value of Leo's doesn't it? Just wait until we get Mike's - imagine the tithes...

One question:

Science rate turned down slightly so that Explosives will coincide with the capture of Leo's Workshop.
                    Why did you do this? Is it just so that we could capture Leo's, and then Explosives would be discovered forcing the upgrades? But we got Explosives first, didn't we?

Or does Leo's upgrade all as soon as you capture it? I always thought the upgrades only happened when you got a new tech....

/me is tired too - it is 2am here
                    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

Why did you do this? Is it just so that we could capture Leo's, and then Explosives would be discovered forcing the upgrades? But we got Explosives first, didn't we?

Or does Leo's upgrade all as soon as you capture it? I always thought the upgrades only happened when you got a new tech....

* MrWhereItsAt is tired too - it is 2am here
                      I wasn't sure, frankly. I've never captured an active Leo's; I almost always build it myself. So I wasn't sure if capturing it would trigger an upgrade just like building it would, or whether an upgrade would have to be triggered by acquiring a tech.

As it turned out, I didn't time it right... but it didn't matter, the upgrades happened anyway. I left taxes high so that we could quickly bribe the remaining American cities with the resulting tax revenue.

We might want to leave the science rate low, as now that we have RR and Engineers, we don't really need Cavalry - only Artillery would make a major difference in capturing cities. But that's something for the citizenry to decide.

And I hate to admit it, but seeing an 80% science rate in Fundy still makes me

City screens coming up...

Comment

City List...

Comment

Wow! What a battle for Washington. That's one reason I like Diplomat Assaults on Walled cities if there aren't too many city structures. But the Cannon assault worked and we have captured 2 Wonders and the American capital!

I can't wait to see the save file...

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                          Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                          Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                          Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Awesome! Clearly our planning paid off! The Americans probably suspected an attack on New York, not Washington.

Nice to have 40 engineers, eh!

Now we can build a real empire, with RR everywhere.

The end has begun!
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I'll send it to you now... since you're about to be elected President (barring the banana's brother disqualifying some ballots ).

The battle for Washington was pretty suspenseful and there wasn't a lot of margin for error. We still had a previously wounded Knight with 2 moves left in reserve, but as soon as the flag went down I just moved the Settler in

Still, I was practically sweating, worried that the attacks would fall short. Good plan by our SMC to move units in a group out of Sheol, with the Fanatic and Diplo leading. The Americans hadn't done a good job in roading around the city, so rather than space the units all the way around the city, it made more sense to use the INSTA-FORTTM

Comment

Working...
                              X