Science 950BC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cavebear
    But do you really think we have the prerequisites for 93 techs? I don't. I think it will look at columns of techs and tend to provide them in that general order.
    Read the thread again. We don't need the prerequisites for 93 techs. The placement of the techs we do have prerequisites for in the list of 93, determines the probability of them appearing in a hut.

Now, might it be set so that some some techs are less likely to be given? Yes. But I don't have evidence of that.

Well, I just provided evidence, which was researched by a guy who is pretty well thought of here, in terms of his understanding of Civ2.

There's no evidence to say that huts 'backfill' techs from older columns, on the other hand.

I mean, if we want to keep popping huts, we'll keep popping huts. And perhaps we'll get Monarchy, although Mathematics is 5 times more likely, and Trade 4 times more likely and Bridge/Engineering 3 times more likely.

I just wouldn't bet on it

@ atawa - samson stated, later on in the thread, that he tested a few times on MGE to confirm there was a correlation.
    Last edited by Six Thousand Year Old Man; June 9, 2003, 09:20.
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

If i read that post correctly then we have a 2:5 chance (allready have a NON settler) of getting scrolls anyway, and unless we are near a city every other option is 1:5
      then when you take into consideration that with the techs we have we qualify for are :
      Bridge building 16/93
      Engineering 18/93
      Math 24/93
      Mon 5/93
      Mys 2/93
      Poly 8/93
      Trade 20/93

So Math will be the next, which will not open any new tech paths and then Trade which will make it
      Bank 15/93
      Bridge 1/93
      Engineer 18/93
      Mon 29/93
      Mys 1/93
      Poly 8/93

Making Monarchy tech #3 from a hut.

So lets research POLY

I voted before tryin this out so please ad +1 to research poly and -1 to popping huts. Sorry about that.
      Last edited by Zedd; June 9, 2003, 15:10.
      Wizards sixth rule:
      "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."
      Can't keep me down, I will CIV on.

Comment

Edit: Sorry I made a mis calc that I didn’t catch until posting. Once we get math there are no new techs but the chances of Monarchy change:
        Bridge building 16/93
        Engineering 18/93
        Mon 29/93
        Mys 2/93
        Poly 8/93
        Trade 20/93

So Monarchy should be just a couple huts away.
        Wizards sixth rule:

Comment

Well, yes, assuming the most probable tech pops out of the hut. Math is the most likely tech to appear next, but it only has about a 26% chance of coming up. Meaning we have a 2/3 chance of getting neither it, nor Monarchy.

I'm just worried that we'll pop huts until we get Engineering, and then Invention, killing the hut techs for good and leaving us a zillion turns away from researching anything new

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
          "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Just to add my own 2.16 kwacha to this argument. Our on civilisation size and lack of roads etc, means we would be spend forever trying to reach basic tech levels.

Therefore there are two possible solutions, build more cities (quickly) or follow Hydeys four point plan when it comes to hut popping
            "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
            "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

More cities not possible until Monarchy.

One of the consequences of no wonders.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Simple observation: we don't seem to have enough cities of a size to support an army for conquering. We will need to conquer. The army needs to take precedence over all in this game, so we keep popping until we can get to Monarchy.

It looks to me that Monarchy should be our one focus ATM, and if we keep finding huts then let's keep popping them whilst they are going to give us techs. Every new tech we research in place of popping huts denies us all those beakers in terms of gold/lux.
                Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
                  It looks to me that Monarchy should be our one focus ATM, and if we keep finding huts then let's keep popping them whilst they are going to give us techs.
                  Erm, not to be a broken record here, but the more techs we get from huts, the longer it'll take us to research Monarchy.

We could luck in and get it from a hut, but the chances of that are relatively small.

Comment

Well, yes, assuming the most probable tech pops out of the hut. Math is the most likely tech to appear next, but it only has about a 26% chance of coming up.
                    If the testing is correct then we have a 2:5 or 40% chance of getting tech from a hut, and when we get the next tech it will be math. As long as we have the NONE setler then our prob of scrolls outcome stays 40% and the next tech for discovery would be monarcy. Even if this does not prove true it takes far less turns to pop 4-5 huts than to research monarchy.

Finish Poly and pop huts for monarchy.

:edit: Ohhhhhh, I see what you meant the 24/93 does not determine the tech, but the techs chances of being discovered. I conceede your point STYOM but still think popping the huts is the best way to go. At the worst we can gift some usless techs to the AI to drop our beaker requirements.
                    Last edited by Zedd; June 10, 2003, 09:25.
                    Wizards sixth rule:

Comment

Yes, we need Poly now!!! But hit the huts anyway!!! All of them!!!
                      BTW, 'beakers', the science units, were bulbs in Civ(1)
                      April City Planner in the 3rd Civ2 Democracy Game
                      Read Sluggy Freelance! Watch Homestar Runner! Papa Smurf is a Communist!

Comment

Working...
                      X