What to do with the settlers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with the settlers?

Right now we have 2 settlers active and 5 in production. 2 are in 0-production cities, and the other three will be completed(barring rushing or worker shifting) in 13, 15, and 19 turns.

On another note, what should we do about Imperialis?

The red icons are possible tiles to switch to. I realize that the grass and tundra are useless and that the game is the same as the shield grass, I just wanted to include all possibilities. Note that with max prod. the city has a 1-shield deficet, and no food. With max food, there would be a 2-shield deficet and 1 extra food, all we need to grow in one turn.
    The dilemma as I see it is: If we switch to the grass we can use both the tiles, but we lose two units instead of one. Otherwise, we remain stagnent.
    EDIT: We would have to raise lux to prevent disorder anyway(d'oh). We might consider that anyway tho, to use both tiles in Dominion.
    Build cities in the center of our empire
    73.33%
    Build cities on the frontiers
    6.67%
    Other: specify
    13.33%
    Sit at home and eat bananas.
    6.67%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Bob_Smurf42; May 10, 2003, 22:06.
    April City Planner in the 3rd Civ2 Democracy Game
    Read Sluggy Freelance! Watch Homestar Runner! Papa Smurf is a Communist!

Just ICS in our core where corruption is low.

Comment

Originally posted by atawa
      Just ICS in our core where corruption is low.
      although we didn't limit # of cities, the poll at the start of the game was pretty clear against ICS.

I do favor building cities with the settlers though - i never really liked supporting settlers from size 1 and size 2 cities. and we won't get another NON settler until we either build a city with the one we have, or found another 3-4 cities.
      Insert witty phrase here

Comment

My vote was going to be for building a city this turn with the settler from Imperialis at the most suitable available site. But I've just noticed that it is sitting in Imperialis

I guess that means disbanding the warrior and building a city with the settler as soon as possible, even if it does overlap. 2 moves west appears to give access to some good grassland and a special.

RJM at Sleepers (who should learn to look before he votes)
        Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

We shouldnt pay too much attention to city's overlapping.
          We are playing a wargame and are not allowed to build caravans or wonders, most of our city's wont grow larger then size 5 anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by atawa
            We shouldnt pay too much attention to city's overlapping.
            We are playing a wargame and are not allowed to build caravans or wonders, most of our city's wont grow larger then size 5 anyway.
            they will get bigger if we manage them correctly
            The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Oh crap...Imperalis also has a shield deficit!...get rid of the warrior and send an other acher to Imperialis(there are 2 close to the city...

maybe we should also try to make sure we don't build units and so create a shield shortage that makes us disbanding a unit => bad way of using our resources.

Shade
              ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
              "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
              shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

Sorry - my bad. Everything was OK until we kept getting those damn mercenaries that get their support from Imperialis. I guess everyone wants to be an Imperium citizen - who can blame them?
                Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Don't concentrate the cities in any specific spot, just build them in the best place to do so. They WILL grow if this map is as big as it seems, and we will not want to have overlap.
                  "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson
                  Former Minister of City Planning of the third Civ2 Democracy Game
                  Former Minister of Science of the third Civ2 Democracy Game
                  Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about overlap - both cities need to be sized in the 'teens for overlap to be restrictive, and if we're not building Wonders ourselves, there's no way that's going to happen. I've never been a fan of poncing about looking for the "perfect" city site, just build and move on, get those shields and trade arrows clocking up.
                    "It's not about whether you win or lose, it's about how many people you can slaugher playing the game...." - BruceTheStupid, 2400BC.

Comment

its not so much the overlap as its a game restriction we voted to impose on ourselves - no ICSing. I'm not sure what procedures we have for overturning a game restriction, but it shouldn't be done just because it makes it easier on us. We imposed it to make it harder on us.
                      Insert witty phrase here

Comment

Disband the warrior. Then use the settler to build a city nearby so it stops using up food and a shield. That way we grow another citizen sooner and the city can support 2 units at no shield cost.
                        Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                        Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                        Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                        Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

its not icsing if you build a bunch of core cities and then space out the rest or even disband some later in the game when you want more room for the core....

there is little trade by the heart of our empire, some extra cities around there will do a smidge towards helping out this cause..and again , they can be disbanded later.

a city now is a settler later
                          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

See my post in the other thread, I've listed 6 potential citysites.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

all of which are decnt sites.
                              Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Working...
                              X