Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should it be mandatory that underline cannot be used to emphasise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should it be mandatory that underline cannot be used to emphasise?

Since the early days of the Web, underline is used to indicate hyperlinks. Using it for another purpose is to cause confusion. At any rate, there is no need to do so because you can use bold, italics, or even another colour or font size to make a point.

And nobody uses underline in this thread either. This is a house rule.
    Yes, I don't like the confusion, either.
    28.57%
    No, I am stoopid and can't use anything else.
    21.43%
    The Great Banana rules!
    50.00%
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

But links here are indicated by blue letters, so if it's not blue then there is no reason to not underline?

Of course, I don't use underlines, so I don't have a problem with not using them.

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Go Great Banana!

Comment

I prefer to use bold/italic/underline all at the same time for emphasis.

REPORTED

OK, since I'm such a nice guy I'll edit out the underline. Pretend the strikethrough is an underline. UR can't seriously expect to post "do not use underlines here" and then have everybody follow his whims though.
        Last edited by ixnay; April 25, 2003, 01:10.

Comment

Ixnay, considering UR asked for no underlines, isn't it a bit unsuitable to use underlines despite how clear he made it. Agreed it's a bit stupid as links are different colours, but still...

Comment

Yes! Underlines are an abomination to humanity!
            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Just as long as you remember that simply underlining a word, doesn't turn it into a link, there isn't really any problem.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay
                UR can't seriously expect to post "do not use underlines here" and then have everybody follow his whims though.
                Exactly, anybody who starts a thread saying how much they hate underlines has got to expect people to post responses with underlining. For me to do otherwise would be against human nature and ran contrary to my instincts as an incurable smart-ass.

If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Just for the record. I have NEVER seen anybody on this site use underlining for any other purpose than to mark the title of a story or something.

Everyone uses capital letters, bold or italics to add emphasis.

Random underlined words in a block of text really annoy me too, but I genuinely don't see it as a problem on this site.
                  If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

UR must be getting old if he's getting set his ways and forces his will upon others.
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

OK, I forgot URL links aren't underlined unless you hover over them.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Underlines are good, but only at very important tings. first you make someting itallic, then you bold then you bold+itallic then you underline (But never combine underlines with bold (or the color of links))
                        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Where is the no, but they shold be used with caution and in combination with the others option?
                          Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

There are sophomoric bozos out there who just have to be contrary. Really, it's a game that two can play if I so wish.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Sophomoric bozos?

Oooh. That'll teach 'em.

I for one support your initiative.

No sense having diversity in emphasis here at Apolyton.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                              X