Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why close a thread because some people misbehave on it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Ming's decision to close that thread down - it was getting out of hand.

However, I do have a question, has there been any fruitful, respectful, intellegent conversation on Apolyton about the war, yet? And yes I do know the nature of the OTF (I never post but I do go into read at least twice a month). In visits to the OTF in the past I have read a number of very insightful views into a whole variety of topics from posters all over the globe. For many Apolyton is very good outlet for discussing different activities and news events. I think that a Iraq conversation is very much needed and if a simple poll asking for who you would want to win the war got that personal, I would think all such threads have gotten pretty hot. So has anything gone on?
    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
      Why, can Ming read PMs and ICQ chats as well? tsk tsk
      Because he can, and its perfectly legal, well if Ming does it.
      -J.B.-
      Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Originally posted by tniem
        I agree with Ming's decision to close that thread down - it was getting out of hand.

However, I do have a question, has there been any fruitful, respectful, intellegent conversation on Apolyton about the war, yet? And yes I do know the nature of the OTF (I never post but I do go into read at least twice a month). In visits to the OTF in the past I have read a number of very insightful views into a whole variety of topics from posters all over the globe. For many Apolyton is very good outlet for discussing different activities and news events. I think that a Iraq conversation is very much needed and if a simple poll asking for who you would want to win the war got that personal, I would think all such threads have gotten pretty hot. So has anything gone on?
        When you discuss a hot topic on the OT you will attract a large number of readers, more so than on other forums. Therefore, on average, you will attract the attention of more people with strong opinions.

Following the law of averages, you are more likely to encounter a heated response in the OT than elsewhere. This implies nothing derogatory to the nature of the OT or it's posters. It's just a reflection of a busy forum where big issues get debated.

Fights are rarer on other forums, just as they are in large stretches of Lapland. And morgues.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Well in that thread, people were hoping that their own country would lose a war against a brutal dictator.

I'd have probably said the same thing that Slow did, even if Ming had given me a warning. I think it's pretty lame of people to troll like that, claiming to respect the servicemen and simultaneously hoping they lose a war.

People who lose wars generally get hurt or die. The opinion he had defied reality and was deeply offensive to the people that put their lives on the line for his right to say it.

Of course, it was in violation of forum rules, so Ming was in the right, but still, sometimes rules should be broken.
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

People who lose wars generally get hurt or die.
            I don't want to turn this into an OT thread, but so do the victorious ones (if such a thing exists)

but still, sometimes rules should be broken.
            Can't say I disagree with you on this one, but only sometimes!
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Fights are rarer on other forums, just as they are in large stretches of Lapland.
              Per-capita, Laz? After all, some of these will be Finn.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I'd agree with Shi in principle, but the thread in question had clearly degenerated into a flame war. Good job MINGY!
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

That thread was funnier than sh!t. Why does it seem that the rightists (Sloww, Fezzie, etc) start that crap.

(I didn't point out you 2 to be mean, so don't get riled up.)

Comment

dp
                    Last edited by Odin; March 29, 2003, 00:26.

Comment

Not for long, me thinks...
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I probably could have been banned once or twice but for some reason I haven't. I think I would have been if I had seen that thread before it was closed.

No further comments on this from me.
                        Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                          Why, can Ming read PMs and ICQ chats as well? tsk tsk
                          They can, but they don't.

AFAIK, the only time a mod has ever read someone else's PM, was when Ming looked at one of Alexander's Horse's PMs at the request of AH, with a permaban in the balance.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Good job, Ming. You might have to flex your muscles again on this one, though.
                            I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Working...
                            X