Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why close a thread because some people misbehave on it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why close a thread because some people misbehave on it?

is the thread I am refering to. I realize it was of an extremely controversial and emotional nature, but on Apolyton we have always been able to discuss such things. Now, if the thread itself had something wrong with it I could understand, by why shutdown discussion just because a few posters are unable to keep their calm? most of the disturbance on that thread was caused by Slowwhand, and then the responses to Slowwhand. Slowwhand had already been repeatedly warned about attacking other poster. This thread he went over the top and said another poster should be shot. Why can't you simply punish the person(s) causing the disturbance rather then shutting down all discussion. It seems you have let a poster, Slowwhand, who has repeatedly defied the moderation's warnings about attacking other posers, toast another thread while getting away scot free himself.
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

I happen to agree with that sentiment Shi, I thought that it could have been a good discussion.

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

It DID look interesting now that I see it, but you gotta remember, there will always be an idiot or ten here that spoil good discussions. The mods have the mandate to stop that, and I would say that Ming certainly made a good decision there. Of course this doesn't mean that the individuals should get away with it, but some threads are just doomed to fail, however interesting they may turn out to be.
      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

I gave it a chance... it was a flame fest waiting to happen... and that's exactly what happened. The first warning was ignorned completely. I could have restricted a bunch of people and then continued to restrict people later, or close the thread. I closed the thread.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Most of the flaming was a result of the actions of one person though, Slowwhand. He has repeatedly defied the moderation. MtG tells him to chill with regard to attack people, he continues to attack. You warn him no more personal attacks on that thread, he continues his personal attacks on that very thread. He obviously doesn't care to listen to your or anyone else tells him. Why let this one person who refuses to abide by your rules ruin threads like that? The only other "Flame" was Drake's "your ignorance is amazing"- but comments like that are normal in the course of a thread and hardly very intense at all. With no Slowwhand and a strong warning from you not to go personal or face restriction, the thread could have been sustained.

Comment

I seriously doubt the the thread could have been sustained even with out a few individuals. Normally, I would just delete or close that type of thread the minute I saw it. I gave it a chance, and it went the way I figured. It would only have gotten worse.

Slow and I have had many chats, and he has been restricted many times for his actions... Restrictions are the last resort... so feel free to ask for us to get rid of people because you want us to... but don't expect us to listen. If we listened to all such requests, you and many other posters would be gone as well
            Keep on Civin'

Comment

I agree with Ming here. The thread would just continue to spiral. Its a very hot topic, and considering how nationalistic americans are
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Tassadar5000
                I agree with Ming here. The thread would just continue to spiral. Its a very hot topic, and considering how nationalistic americans are
                That really had nothing to do with it. It was stupidity, which, hey, even Russians, are guilty of at times.

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I also agree, that was a hot topic, after reading it. I think Ming made the right choice. If I was in his shoes I too would have closed it.
                  -J.B.-
                  Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

"I seriously doubt the the thread could have been sustained even with out a few individuals. "

But the damage was caused by that one individual. Ah well whatever......

"
                    Slow and I have had many chats, and he has been restricted many times for his actions... Restrictions are the last resort... so feel free to ask for us to get rid of people because you want us to... but don't expect us to listen. If we listened to all such requests, you and many other posters would be gone as well "

People are calling for me to be banned behind my back? Lovely.

Anyway Ming it's up to you how to do your job, though I would put in a guess people won't listen to you if you let them ignore you.

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                      Anyway Ming it's up to you how to do your job, though I would put in a guess people won't listen to you if you let them ignore you.
                      Yes... it is up to me
                      And believe me when I say that people don't ignore me for very long...

Again, you have no clue what goes on by ICQ, PM, and e-mail. All you see is what is posted
                      Keep on Civin'

Comment

well then please tell whoever is PMing you with requests for me to be banned to take it up with me personally then.

Comment

Why, can Ming read PMs and ICQ chats as well? tsk tsk
                          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Where is the "I'm a Banana, and I hope they will both loose" option?
                            Might have helped to cool the thread down.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                              Again, you have no clue what goes on by PM. All you see is what is posted
                              People PM you? WITH FLAMES?

I never would have guessed
                              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Working...
                              X