On the announcement that posts in OT wont increase post count

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the announcement that posts in OT wont increase post count

Mark and Dan, nice job with the upgrade.

This is a policy decision that has been debated for years, as you well know, so I'm not going to to rehash all the arguments. But as an active member of the on-topic civ2 boards I would like some reassurance that this is not going to lead to an invasion of OT spammers on those boards, and I'd like to know how you would respond to such an action.
    "I didn't invent these rules, I'm just going to use them against you."

Re: On the announcement that posts in OT wont increase post count

Originally posted by Andrew Livings
    I'd like to know how you would respond to such an action.
    we'll do our best(dont we always?)
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

This was my concern when I first found out (I even started a poll in the test forums).

However, I think that ever vigilante bannings and closing of threads in the On Topic forums can combat this.

Do I agree with doing this? No (Hey, wait I'm a Deity, what do I care ), but I will back the decision made by MarkG.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I Do Not Agree

Markos, et al.:

I come to Apolyton both for Civilization discussions and the content on the Off Topic Forum. What's the point of not allowing post-count increases in the OTF? That's discrimination against *both* those who spam and those who come for serious discussion.

Since this policy is in effect, I formally make a request to ABOLISH all non-administrative title systems and post-counts at Apolyton. All that should remain are registration dates. That way, all of Apolyton will be treated just like those who frequent the OTF.

CYBERAmazon
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

I also disagree

I really do not appriciate this decision. Off-topic debates are the only reason I ever post in this place, but oh well. I'll move on.

Comment

Well, don't you agree that it cuts down on SPAM? And I have no problem with recognizing On Topic posts over Off Topic ones.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

SPAM = FUN

So what? The entertainment value of good spam is of far greater value than tax on the server I'm sure.

Comment

I Don't Spam

Imran:

Thus I feel as if I'm paying the price for those who do spam. This is like setting a 10,000 acre forest fire to get rid of the pine beetle infested acre of trees.

If Markos, DanQ and the moderators wish to control spam, I have no problem with that. Just keep your targeting paramaters focused on the spammers, not those who come to Apolyton for genuine Civ discussion and OTF contributions — who, unfortunately, are apparently collateral damage in this decision.

What? Weren't bannings, PCRs and popular pressure sufficient to keep spammers under control?

CYBERAmazon
                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

Why do you feel you are paying any price? Is post count that important to you?

Remember the Off Topic was added grudingly by Mark and Dan and I don't think they've ever really liked it. They want post counts to count for posters who post on topic.

That is their decision...

Comment

Some Pointers ...

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    Why do you feel you are paying any price? Is post count that important to you?
                    I don't give a damn about my title or post count per se. I've been here over a year and I've reached the "rank" of "Prince." If I had spammed or let my ego get caught up by titles, I would've been borderline "Emperor" by now.

I'm not happy because this targets an entire forum that, ostensibly, is a part of the Apolyton community. IOW, everyone who contributes to that place is, in effect, being told, "You are no longer in Civ country." That's poppycock. Civ is the type of strategy game that brings in quite a few intelligent and verbose people who genuinely like meeting others who share the similar pleasure of Civing. It's only natural, IMHO, that a lot of them might also be interested in talking about current events, politics, economics and whatnot. The OTF provides that outlet w/o disrupting the actual Civ forums.

So, yeah, those of us who take the time to peruse the OTF have just as much Civ "blood" in us, if not more so, than those who never venture beyond the Civ II forum(s) or Alpha Centauri or Call To Power II.

Remember the Off Topic was added grudingly by Mark and Dan and I don't think they've ever really liked it. They want post counts to count for posters who post on topic.
                    That was before my time at Apolyton. I honestly don't see why they wouldn't like the OTF. Hell, I play Civ II (got a game going right now) and post in on-topic forums. But I also post in the OTF and see this decision as a sucker punch to the stomach precisely because the entire forum is affected.

If the OTF is causing that much serious grief, get rid of it. I can guarantee you that traffic will decrease, as will ad hits (which are still low, judging from the "Help Apolyton!" text that appears before the ad graphic comes in).

That is their decision...
                    Oh, I agree. I just hope they take into account folks like me, who don't b*tch and whine at every occasion. When you hear from people like that — the ones who are usually quiet regarding admins' and moderators' decisions — then it may well be worth a look down to see if thin ice has replaced the safer, thicker ice.

CYBERAmazon

Comment

Can I have a link?

Where's the official word on all of this?
                      Life and death is a grave matter;
                      all things pass quickly away.
                      Each of you must be completely alert;
                      never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

Cyber... I know you hardly ever complain, or at least I have not seen it. But I don't agree with your point about being "treated" as a 2nd class citizen.

This is a bulletin board based on a game. You are not "treated" as anything. You write messages and read them. Thats it.

God forbid that Bildo29 called me a geek or something. Dam, now I can't sleep tonight or function at work tommorrow.

That is what you are worrying about. Meaningless things or trivial ones anyway, on a BB.

Yes, you make friends and meet some of them even, if you are lucky, but the only thing you should care about is how those people look at you and interact with you.

If you care about people and they care about you, then you will be treated that way. Not as a second class citizen. And if you only post in OTF (which I know you don't, but this to others that might) then it shouldn't matter at all about the post count and you should only be treated as you would anyway while there, irregardless of post count.

This is too much to be concerned about. It is not a big deal and probably won't effect how you go about viewing, reading, posting and to whom you interact with.

Just my 2 cents... trying to keep you from useless stress and high blood pressure over completely avoidable non-problems.

I did not really express myself well in this post, but my brain is mush and I am tired. I have also been real busy with little time for leisure. I apologize if anything is not clear or misrepresented.

Comment

Sneak, it's in the post about the upgrade to vbb or whatever. Where it tells you the details of the new bb features.

Comment

Hot dang cool! Beginning of the end for post count!
                            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

It's Not Personal

Originally posted by OldWarrior_42
                              Cyber... I know you hardly ever complain, or at least I have not seen it. But I don't agree with your point about being "treated" as a 2nd class citizen.

This is a bulletin board based on a game. You are not "treated" as anything. You write messages and read them. Thats it.

God forbid that Bildo29 called me a geek or something. Dam, now I can't sleep tonight or function at work tommorrow.

That is what you are worrying about. Meaningless things or trivial ones anyway, on a BB.
                              Nearly three years ago on another board, I did take things personally. I learned my lesson then and there and now pretty much follow a philosophy similar to your own.

My current position is one that only affects me when I contribute to Apolyton. Any other time, it's off the radar screen. It's not personal either, more or less a stance based on principle and fairness.

This is too much to be concerned about. It is not a big deal and probably won't effect how you go about viewing, reading, posting and to whom you interact with.
                              Probably not, but it doesn't resolve the "fairness" issue of the whole shebang.

Just my 2 cents... trying to keep you from useless stress and high blood pressure over completely avoidable non-problems.
                              It's appreciated. Thanks.

CYBERAmazon

Comment

Working...
                              X