No announcement yet.

On the announcement that posts in OT wont increase post count

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Why do you feel you are paying any price? Is post count that important to you?"

Easy enough to say when you're already a Deity and have a administrative title.

Who ever made this decision: Not that you'll care, but I'm outta here. This IS discrimination against the OT posters. I can't stand injustice, and this definitely fits my definition. I can't do anything about it, so I'm leaving.

I know you won't miss me. Why? Because like greedy feudal landlords, though you may own the town, but because of your attitudes towards us you are not, have not been, and never will be part of the community that lives there. You won't care one wit if that community loses a member. You are not one of us, and now you are using your right of eminent domain to trample us.

[More to follow thanks to the inane decision to limit message length]

((EDIT: My apologies, I could've sworn that it said 1000 characters.))
    Last edited by bcr3; May 22, 2001, 01:04.
    Anarchist Supreme of the Newly Glorious PROT!

"One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them
    One Ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them."

Comment

To Cyber...

So then I am to understand it that you have just finally decided to make a point on the issue of principle.

Understandable and accepted.

Good luck.

Comment

Yes, Imran, it really DOES mean that much to me to make Emperor. It's something I've been working at off and on for almost two years now. Getting a new title means that I have contributed something worthwhile to the community here. It means that my fellow posters recognize the worth of my contribution and respect me for it. You may not remember what it was like to be a newbie and have an Emperor or even a Deity reply to your thread, but I do. I had a ton of respect for the vets, and I've been here ever since because I hoped that one day I might get the same respect they do.

[Again, one more to come because of the post length policy]

((EDIT: My apologies, I could've sworn that it said 1000 characters.))
        Last edited by bcr3; May 22, 2001, 01:08.

Comment

I can't make any useful contributions to any of the other forums because I haven't played the games, except Civ2 which nobody even seems to care about anymore. But I do have opinions about politics, religion, sports, etc. In these discussions I can contribute and be useful to facilitating good debate and discussion. Essentially this policy is telling me that nobody here cares about what I think about the outside world; if I'm not willing to go out and buy all Sid's stuff so I can come talk about it, then the community doesn't want me.

If I'm not wanted, I won't stay. I'm making one last post to the OT, then I'm leaving. If anyone misses me... tell Mark and Dan.

Comment

What I said somewhere else...

One of the admins might respond, "Apolyton is foremost a gaming forum..."

The thing is though it has evolved to more than just a gaming forum. It seems that many users don't even post in one of the on topic forums, so steps should be taken to not alienate them.

I am sure some of them don't give a rat's arse about post counts, however some do, and I don't see why they should take a back seat to the people who post in the on topic forums.

So the solution is either get rid of the non-special titles together, or all posts should be counted.

Just my 0.03 yuan.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Time Served

A better solution is to give the titles according to the amount of time registered here. That is the only way to be completely fair about the whole thing. That would solve everyone's problem here. Spammers wouldn't be rewarded but those that choose to stay registered here would. It would certainly be better than a group of posters feel that they were singled out.
              Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

As i said elsewehere, simplest thing is to remove the stupid post count and titles for all, they are meaninglessanyway, the current people with deity havent necessarily posted the most meaningful posts , jus thtey have posted the most ...

So post counting on any forum simply asks for spamming, i sohuld know, i spamme dto get to king level whichj i am happy at...
                GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

What UR, Cyber or bcr state.... based on "Principle"... is correct. I agree with them and feel that what is good for one is good for all. It should be one way or the other for everyone concerned.

What I do not agree with is whether or not people should get uptight about this or so bent out of shape that they will not let this issue go, decide to leave ... whatever. It is not so important in the way of things to effect you like that.

What I would be concerned about would be whether my local volunteer fire dept was well staffed and funded. Where my local drinking water is coming from. My taxes (countywise) etc...

I am not even silly enough to think that I would make a difference in evne bigger issues that are of more importance than ACS.

Things like alternate fuel supplies, deforestation of the worlds rain forests, destruction of our rivers, lakes and seas, basically the eco system in general... global confrontation...etc...

This issue should be decided on quickly and then let to rest.

But yes, on Principle, I agree with the aforementioned 3 posters.

Comment

I agree with you. People shouldn't get anal retentive over this

Perhaps if Markos and Dan realise that driving people away is bad for revenues for Apolyton ...
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Isn't it true that the last time something like this was done, OT posters started flooding the on-topic forums with marginally on-topic threads?

Wasn't that why it was discontinued?
                      PHOENIXCAGER
                      The Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                        Perhaps if Markos and Dan realise that driving people away is bad for revenues for Apolyton ...
                        actually, it's really hard to find people to buy ad space on general topic forums these days....
                        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Spammers will spam regardless. This is just going to create problems and *****iness...
                          Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

Death to the post count!

I think it's excellent that the Off-Topics don't count any longer. The post count is meaningless, and always was. You can have your own Icon now, so why would anyone care about the rankings anymore? Ha Ha, the spam boys are dead DEAD DEAD!!! Excellent.
                            I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                            i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Really? Intriguing. Well now Civ3 is getting closer, I was planning on making more posts around there. I suppose this is my other incentive to do so...
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

What bothers me is not this rule in itself, but this rule in combination with the rule regarding custom avatars. I don't care about some title. I DO care about being able to put a nice pic next to my name.

Ah well... Ya can't have it all I guess.
                                Fire and ice and death awaiting. But he was steel, he was steel.

Comment

Working...
                                X