On the announcement that posts in OT wont increase post count

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rand Al'Tor
    I DO care about being able to put a nice pic next to my name.
    you now have 99 options for the avatar, in a few days you will have over 200, perhaps more. you'll have to wait until you have 1000 posts to use a custom one. it's not that big a deal is it?
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Well Markos, all of us useless OTers have a heads up over anybody who will register from now on due to our "unfairly" inflated post counts.

Also, please explain to us how posts in the "Other Games" and "S&D" forums contribute to the Civ community whilst the OT posts don't. I'm kinda confused on this matter...

Comment

Mark - I think his point is that without the OTF nobody new is going to reach that 1000 post threshold. Hell, I know I don't have 1000 posts outside the OTF... I'm sure there are plenty in the same boat. It wouldn't surprise me if at least two of the mods didn't have 1000 posts outside the OTF - not to say that they aren't on topic posters but the on topic forums move a hell of a lot slower. The "custom avatar" thing discriminates against newbies in the first place and this will do so even more. How long does it take the average on-topic poster to reach 1000 posts? Forever...

Now, with the limit on message length and the need to post loads before receipt of a custom avatar, whilst at the same time removing post count from the OTF, it seems you're doing one thing to try to prevent spam and another to encourage it.
        Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

Well Rand Al'Tor you have already more than 1000 posts, so whats the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
            Well Markos, all of us useless OTers have a heads up over anybody who will register from now on due to our "unfairly" inflated post counts.
            you will have to decide whether or not this decision make ot posters second-class or first-class citizens...

Also, please explain to us how posts in the "Other Games" and "S&D" forums contribute to the Civ community whilst the OT posts don't. I'm kinda confused on this matter...
            last time i checked this was a gaming forum. last time i checked "other games" and "s&d" where about games. last time i checked bush's new energy plan was not about games.....

Comment

Over here!

Hmm are my comments not worthy of reply?

Comment

Down with post count or...

Just to let the admins know, I'm still against the decision. We have adequate defence against spam in the OT already.

You can't say post count doesn't matter if you give avators and titles on that basis, and I haven't even heard one reason for taking it away in the OT.

Comment

Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
                  it seems you're doing one thing to try to prevent spam and another to encourage it.
                  i'm glad you see a balance in our decisions

(how's that for a reply?)

Comment

ROFL...

Very good, Markos, very good...

But no help whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                      last time i checked this was a gaming forum. last time i checked "other games" and "s&d" where about games. last time i checked bush's new energy plan was not about games.....
                      Ah ha! I knew this was going to happen, so I had pre-empted it in my first message in this thread.

What have you got to say about <em>that</em>, Markos?
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Re: What I said somewhere else...

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                        The thing is though it has evolved to more than just a gaming forum.
                        this site is first defined by it's owners, then it's users....

does that sound megalomaniac to you? if yes, it's a civ site, we cant help it

I am sure some of them don't give a rat's arse about post counts, however some do, and I don't see why they should take a back seat to the people who post in the on topic forums.
                        according to other people, ot posters now have an advantage cause they have generally more posts and on topic posters wont be able to get the same titles as easy as the off topic posters did

Comment

Yeah, I do have more than 1000 posts. Just noticed... odd. I became a king just recently and that was... euh hoe many posts again (the old FAQ is gone. Yes, I wanty cheese with the whine. And make it a chenet please. Fruity) Maybe someone wanted to be nice to me.... Hmm, just in case. A little strategic diplomatic remarks never hurt so...

BRING THE PILLARS HOME!

edit: Oh and if posts in the OT don't count, than us poor OT-ers will never be able to use custom avatars without spamming the other boards... Or am I missing something?
                          Fire and ice and death awaiting. But he was steel, he was steel.

Comment

Originally posted by Rand Al'Tor
                            edit: Oh and if posts in the OT don't count, than us poor OT-ers will never be able to use custom avatars without spamming the other boards... Or am I missing something?
                            only thing, if you spam you'll get a pcr, which, believe me, are very easy now....

Comment

Compromise is Good

Just a couple of thoughts...
                              Wouldn't it be relatively simple to make OT posts count for 25% of a post or something? I'm no programmer, but it seems like a simple little equation? That way, the sheer volume of OT vs. On Topic would be acknowledged and allowed for, rather than just swept under a rug.

And MarkG: A lesson in salesmanship--when a company wants to attract customers, it uses something flashy, like balloons or hotdogs or free pony rides.
                              The OT is your free pony ride...I will not refer any more people to it if it becomes bland and boring, why would I want to asscoiate myself with that?
                              As much as it may be a thorn in your side, the OT is the big draw for a lot of people, hardcore players and "fair weather players" alike.
                              It's the frosting on your cake, so to speak...I wouldn't treat it too lightly...neither would I pander to its advocates...but I do think that a little imagination and mathematics might put this all to rest.
                              Life and death is a grave matter;
                              all things pass quickly away.
                              Each of you must be completely alert;
                              never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

So, posts in the other games forum don't increase your count either? That's lame.

Good thing I'm just here to spam.
                                Mother ****ing goddamn ass chewing, **** sucking son of a *****

Comment

Working...
                                X