Too much crap-talking going on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much crap-talking going on!

What's it called? Trolling? Spaming? whatever it is, it basically ruins the thread. I don't mean to whinge, but lately all I see in the off-topic is a lot of people talking about nothing in what would have been an interesting thread.

I think you mods and admins need to be a lot more harsh on those who aren't taking the threads more seriously. Like a week ban for example?
    be free

...Examples please?

meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

My definitions:

Spamming - posting and not saying anything at all.
      Trolling - posting a comment or opinion whose purpose is to atagonize others into counterposting against it.
      Smack - taunting others in an overly competitive nature.
      Flame - mean degrading comments.

Comment

There will always be a certain amount of trolling... spamming and smack... When it get's out of hand, we stop it. If you have a complaint about a specific thread, that's what the complaint button is for. We ban people all the time... but we can't read every post in every thread... give us a hand

Oh.. and just because you complain doesn't mean anything will happen... each case is looked at, but sometimes, we don't agree with the complainer.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I just wish moderation in the OT was less harsh on the more fun threads. Spammy ones, in other words.
          I mean, if the posts don't count for anything, what is the big deal in letting them live?
          *sigh*
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by GhengisFarb
            My definitions:

Spamming - posting and not saying anything at all.
            Trolling - posting a comment or opinion whose purpose is to atagonize others into counterposting against it.
            Smack - taunting others in an overly competitive nature.
            Flame - mean degrading comments.
            So, why is spam so bad? I mean...what is really wrong with a fun spam thread if it is in the OT.

The other three I can see, but spam can be fun

"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

sn00py:

You don't be givin' me no jibber-jabber!

Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                I just wish moderation in the OT was less harsh on the more fun threads. Spammy ones, in other words.
                I mean, if the posts don't count for anything, what is the big deal in letting them live?
                *sigh*
                AFAIK, OTF is a place where people can discuss things not related to games. At any rate, some amount of spamming is expected, but not when a thread has no point at all.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Why?
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                    *sigh*
                    I agree with S. Burns.

This is supposed to be about a game.

I teach my children that games = fun.

Some of the spam here livens the place up a bit. Helps keep the place fun.

We have joints out here called RSL's. These places are clubs for the Returned Service People. I have had the privilge of watching many diggers of the Great War and WWII go through several of these places. These were true warriors, from battle fields that are legend. They believed in fun and happiness, truth and freedom, strength and honour! And that all started with fun. They knew the true horrors of war, and I believe that if they were here right now, they would tell us to lighten up and enjoy the lives we have.

So chill mate, go for a surf, dance with your babe, have a beer. Basically remember that we gather to this site because we play games. Games just like my beautiful neice does with her toys and crayons...
                    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                    I am of the Horde.

Comment

Finally, the law is back.

Ming, could you please take a look in the off topic? There is a certain religious thread that has been screaming for mod action since post 1.

Thanks.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
                        So, why is spam so bad? I mean...what is really wrong with a fun spam thread if it is in the OT.
                        The other three I can see, but spam can be fun
                        Yeah... spam can be fun, and it can also get out of hand.
                        There always is and always will be tons of spam in the OT.
                        I see a bunch of it every day in the OT... and when it starts getting out of hand, the mods act.

The thing you have to remember is that this is a games forum. The OT was set up as a place for political, religious, sports, lifesytle, music... and many other topics that were disrupting the games discussions in the on topic forums.
                        It serves that purpose nicely, giving people a chance to talk about other things not game related. It was not meant as a place to spam... or a place to just post meaningless things.
                        That type of stuff gets in the way of having real discussions.
                        When it gets out of hand, people whine even louder about how they can't find threads that have been pushed to page two because of all the silly and spammy threads.

Yeah... the posts don't count. The owners of this site feel that only game related posts should count toward your total since it is "gaming site"... they allow the OT to keep those important on topic gaming discussions free from non relevent posts... They have provided the OT as a favor/service to the members.

But just because they have an OT doesn't mean that they condone meaningless and silly posting. It is still meant for "discussions"...

There are many other forums where people can go to post pretty much whatever they want. I know when I feel like getting silly and spammy, their are places that I can go that welcome stuff like that, and it's a part of the sites culture.
                        Here... it's not. That's the way the owners want it. And since it is a private site... they get to make the rules.

Apolyton is a leading gaming site... and that's it purpose. If you really are looking for a site for other reasons than gaming... there is nothing stopping you from going out and finding such a site.
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

Apolyton is a leading gaming site...
                          Thats the truth, despite that some (nameless) game developers seem averse to criticism and hang out at that other civ site more. The fun part is that the OT is just as good as the game side (although dominated by the hordes of 'lefties').
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH

Thats the truth, despite that some (nameless) game developers seem averse to criticism and hang out at that other civ site more. The fun part is that the OT is just as good as the game side (although dominated by the hordes of 'lefties').
                            It's the leftist hordes that make the OT good.

jon.
                            ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

It's fun sometimes to be just spammy or whatever. Adhering blindly to rules can be so restrictive sometimes.

We have moderators, let them do their jobs. If they feel somebody has crossed a line, they'll do something about it. If you don't like something, report to them and let them be the judge.
                              Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Working...
                              X